Thread: Tops of RV`s

If I only had more time.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tops of RV`s

I have never detailed a RV, but may have a chance to do my first one soon. My only concern is about the top or roof.
    How do you go about polishing or waxing the top?
    Do you just get up on the roof or do you reach with a ladder? I would think they are too wide for ladder work.

Bear with me on this question, I know it sounds a little stupid, but just thought I would ask.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tops of RV`s

Some or most RV`s i think have like a tar or rubber like roof. correct me if im wrong here. and the best way to get up there is to either use the ladder that is on the back of the RV. or just your own. but you can just crawl up there. it will support you. just dont fall off.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s usually best to not wax the roof, primarily because it is meant to be a surface that people walk on, however rarely. Waxing the roof would be a huge safety issue. Pappy is right about using the installed ladder; it`s on the back end of every RV I`ve ever worked on, just climb up and be prepared for some considerable time spent scrubbing on your hands and knees. Surface materials vary considerably, from textured plastic to rubber that feels almost spongy. There are products on the market specifically for cleaning these surfaces. But what many people do is make a franken-soap -- mix their regular car wash soap with simple green for extra cleaning ability. Others use bleach in a similar manor. If you chose bleach, be sure to keep rinsing the whole RV as you use it so as to not bleach drip marks into the sides. I usually spend about an hour alone washing the roof of most RV`s. They can be horrific; mold, and moss are common, so be sure to pack some good brushes or scrub sponges.

Make sure you ask the owner to raise their TV antenna before you head up; it`s a flat, rectangular metal antenna that is lifted on a pivoting arm--it`s always very gnarly underneath where the antenna lies flat during regular driving.

Good luck with it! It`s a long job for sure, but can pay off very well.

If I only had more time.
    Post Thanks / Like

excellent information. I will ensure I`m very prepared before the job.

thanks again.

Thread Information