Thread: Detailing Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Boats

I have been thinking about detailing boats. How would you go about and do this? What products differ from autos and what are the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Boats

well one u will probally want a rotary because anything else wont do much to the surface.. and for products u will need almost everything diffrent.

we use the 3m line. for a good one step try their restorer and wax good outcomes with that. if u want multiple steps do a compound or the restorer and wax and then top it with some fleetwax brand wax. also very top end.

for the stainless just use the cleaner wax type stuff.u will have to look around for some izon glass cleaner because that can be very tricky to look right. even more then glass. then just a good glass cleaner.

just make sure whatever u buy make sure its bio-degradable and safe for the water.

best way is to look in a catolog that sells boat stuff.

the main thing to remember is that boats finishes are so much thicker then cars. so dont be afraid to use a more abrasive product then u normally do and grind away with the buffer but it will still leave buffer marks. and try not to use ur buffer on boats that havnt been buffed before. it will really really show the buffer marks and they are almost impossible to get rid of. most older boats its harder to do that to.

We only do exteriors so if u want to do interiors someone else can help u but i imagine inside is like anything else in a car or home.

XX DeWalt Crossing XX
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out West Marine. I used to be into boating rather heavily and they have some great prices and good products. I love and trust just about any and everything from 3M; they have some great boat products too. I`ve used a PC on a boat, but like Pappy said, I have to agree that a rotary will be your best bet. Otherwise, you will literally give your self some tendonitis from using so much elbow grease!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The PC = waxing only.

Get a nice rotary, and get good at it!

for wax, collinite is all i will use. Their fleetwax is considered the best among many boaters and detailers alike. www.collinite.com (cheapest to order direct)

Your best bet to get into the market is to go to the local marinas, and give he service managers a good sales pitch. I currently have 5 local marinas with around 5 boats a week at each. There is a lot of $$$ to be made in boats, but do realize that they are 50x harder to do than cars. If you are serious, and want to talk about how to proceede, you can give me a call at (716) 407-0657 anytime after 8pm. It is my home number. If i dont hear from you, best of luck.

Mike

Thread Information