Post Thanks / Like

Boat detail - What do I need?

My brother just called to see if I would detail his boat this weekend. I have never detailed a boat so tell me what I need.
    I use Meguiar`s products on my vehicles but can I use them on a boat?
    Here is what I have:

NXT Tech Wax
    Plastix
    Gold Class wash
    Gold Class leather Cleaner
    Gold Class leather conditioner
    NXT Protectant
    Trim Detailer
    ColorX
    NXT Metal polish

He has a pretty basic boat I think, used mainly for water sking and just crusing the lake. I don`t think there is any wood and the seats are vinyl.
    I pick it up today after work so I can post pictures tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for you help,

Gary

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat detail - What do I need?

My boats have always received the same treatment as my vehicles.
    In years past, that was usually a Meguiar`s cleaner/wax product. I used #6 for years and then used Medallion for another 10 years or so.
    Meguiar`s does have a line of marine specific products, but I have no experience with them.
    Since you seem to like Meg`s products and given the products you already have, I would:
    Wash: The Gold Class
    Polish/swirl removal: #80
    LSP: I would either buy some #20 or #21, Meguiar`s sealant. They aren`t marine specific, but they are sealants and I would think they would stand up well in the marine environment. Also, any you have left over would be good for use on vehicles.
    Alternate LSP: You could buy some #63 Flagship Marine Wax if you want to stay with a marine specific product. You can read about it here.

For the last few seasons I have been using Meg`s #9, Klasse AIO, 4 Star UPP, the same as my vehicles. It has worked good for me and while I have considered the #63, I just keep using what I have.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,

Gel coats are very different from BC/CC or SS paint. While using car based products will work fine, using a dedicated product for detailing gel coats would be adviseable.

How will you be polishing the boat, by hand or machine?

Gel coats that are heavily oxidized may need a rotary as they do not respond well to hand polishing. However, we do what we have to do sometimes. All of these will work by hand, PC or rotary. Here are some suggestions of products:

Light Oxidation: M-44 Color Restorer
    Moderate-Heavy Oxidation: M-49 Oxidation Remover
    Heavy Oxidation: M-67 One-Step Compound

The last 2 products are very aggressive and generally work best with a rotary buffer. However, one trick that I like to use is to use #67 with the PC and a W-7006 Cutting Pad! It works like a charm!!!

For your LSP: I suggest #20 Polymer Sealant, #21 Synthetic Sealant or M-63 Flagship Premium Wax

Other non-Meguiar`s products that I use for Gel Coats:
    Pro Wax P-38-Q RV, Boat and Aircraft Wax (Read the safety precautions before using)
    Pro Wax P-57 Miracle Wax Cream

I hope this helps!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

yea definitly....i wouldnt think about using car products on our boats. for our buisness we use meguiars products for marine enviroment.

they are a ton more aggressive because the coat is so much stronger. so i dont know if you would have much luck with the first stages of your detail without some of this heavyier stuff. ssr3 is no comparison to the stuff we use on our tough boats.

i would just run down to a local ships store if u have one around or if u live near water the hardware store probally carries some. just pick up a small bottle of megs stuff. but we usally only do a 1 or 2 step product. we never glaze or do any of that fancy stuff. its usally a hard polish/cleaner and a wax....thats it. wash you have should be fine. but if its in the water make sure its biodigradable. thats a biggy.

Post Thanks / Like

After doing my parents boat, there is one important thing you need - Patience! Other than that, I used megs boat line and PP. If there is any wood, use teak oil, its quick, easy, and gets the job done.

Edit: Now that I think about it, go ahead and get the teak oil too because there is a high likelyhood there could be some wood hiding somewhere (rear seat rests, ski well, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to hit the local walmart last night to see if they had anything for cleaning the boats. They did have a few items so I went ahead and picked them up.
    I got StarBrite Hull Cleaner (removes marine growth, scumlines, fish blood,rust), 3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax(for light to medium oxidation), 3M Marine Fiberglass restorer and Wax (for heavy oxidation) and StarBrite boat wash.
    I figured I would try these out and use my other products for the cleaning of the vinyl, windows and chrome. I cannot find anyone locally that carries teak oil.

Thanks for the replies and I will try to poast some before and afters once I am done.

Gary

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat detail products

Does anyone but me find it at least somewhat strange that all the marine waxes seem to be cleaner-waxes?
    If it is so difficult for a cleaner-wax to do everything well on a vehicle, how are they able to make the cleaner-wax do everything well on a boat?
    Also, why aren`t sealants used in the boat field? Seems like if they are as good as we think they are for vehicles, they should be good for boats.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I was finally able to detail this boat. It was pretty nasty looking when i picked it up. The total time spent on this was probably about 8 hours split out over multiple days.
    I used the products I listed above and I think it came out real nice. For the seats, which were covered in mildew and dirt, I washed them with the regular boat wash then followed it with diluted bleach. I don`t have any pictures but this worked ok. There are a couple of spots on the seats that just would not come out but overall it was a big improvement.
    There are some shots of the outside of the boat, before and after, in my gallery ( http://www.detailcity.com/photopost/...00/ppuser/3589)but I don`t know if you can view them. It says image pending waiting approval.
    You can also view them at snapfish.com but you have to register.
    The link is http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=8635...=SYE/otsi=SALB

I did not have anything that would clean up the molding around the boat. I hit it with the cleaner was and PC on speed 6 and it didn`t touch it. I also tried bleach, tilex and greas lighting but nothing worked. I guess my brother will jsut have to live with it.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by russell336
    There are some shots of the outside of the boat, before and after, in my gallery ( http://www.detailcity.com/photopost/...00/ppuser/3589)but I don`t know if you can view them. It says image pending waiting approval.
    You can also view them at snapfish.com but you have to register.
    The link isurl]http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=86351115314809145/l=47545918/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB[/url]
    They have been approved and are in your gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by russell336
    I did not have anything that would clean up the molding around the boat. I hit it with the cleaner was and PC on speed 6 and it didn`t touch it. I also tried bleach, tilex and greas lighting but nothing worked. I guess my brother will jsut have to live with it.
    I haven`t tried it, but I have been told that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will remove mold and mildew from vinyl. You would probably want to use a conditioner on the vinyl after you try the Eraser.

Charles

2005 Chev Cavalier, Black
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Collinite.........
    http://www.collinite.com/marine.htm

Post Thanks / Like

charles,
    Sealants are great but also a bit more expensive.Sealants last longer than waxes and hold up better in sunny and warmer climates.Most carnuba waxes let the water bead up on the surface. Polymer sealants lets the water sheet off the surface. Note a retail customer most of the time doesn`t know the difference between wax and polymer sealants they have to be educated by the professional detailer. Therefore reflect this in your pricing.
    all the best
    Detail dave
    Detail Dave of Florida (Port St. Lucie)

Post Thanks / Like

^ sounds good but i heard that sealants are just b.s.?
    http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/8534glowcat.gif

Thread Information