Post Thanks / Like

New car question - Detailing lights?

My C7 stingray should be arriving in a few weeks. I plan to wash, clay then use Blackfire total polish and seal with a DA polisher, followed by Blackfire Wet diamond all finish paint protection. Finish up with crystal seal.

My question is about the lights. Can or should you use the total polish and seal and/or Wet diamond all finish paint protection on the lights?

I have searched but could not find a definitive answer.

Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car question - Detailing lights?

Depends on what they are made out of, most are plastic. If that`s the case I would definitely polish the lights as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drx2 View Post
    My C7 stingray should be arriving in a few weeks. I plan to wash, clay then use Blackfire total polish and seal with a DA polisher, followed by Blackfire Wet diamond all finish paint protection. Finish up with crystal seal.

My question is about the lights. Can or should you use the total polish and seal and/or Wet diamond all finish paint protection on the lights?

I have searched but could not find a definitive answer.

Thank you for your help.
    Headlights have a coating on them from the factory, and I wouldn`t use anything abrasive unless you have to (ie: if they`re dull and oxidized). While Blackfire Total Polish N Seal isn`t THAT abrasive, I wouldn`t use anything abrasive on a pair of new headlights and instead apply All Finish Paint Protection and/or Crystal Seal.

Post Thanks / Like

I clay, polish, seal, and crystal seal all my plastic lenses (headlights, tail lights, fog lights, etc.). I notice a big positive change in the clarity every detail on these plastic parts after claying and polishing. I typically use Pinnacle Ultra Poly and M205. If I was compounding, I`d probably skip the lenses and just hit them when I get the polish step.

Post Thanks / Like

If they`re new lights why mess with them? Apply crystal seal and call it a day. There`s no need to polish a new set of lights unless they`re scratched or faded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutopiaTech View Post
    Headlights have a coating on them from the factory, and I wouldn`t use anything abrasive unless you have to (ie: if they`re dull and oxidized). While Blackfire Total Polish N Seal isn`t THAT abrasive, I wouldn`t use anything abrasive on a pair of new headlights and instead apply All Finish Paint Protection and/or Crystal Seal.
    +1 here. That coating will wear out eventually over time. But its best to leave it there for now. Unless you plan on applying a new coating yourself.

I restored a buddy of mines headlights that were horribly faded. Put some sealant on them and told him to make sure to keep them protected. He didn`t though... and now not even a year later, they are faded again

Post Thanks / Like

No real right or wrong answer here. Can you polish them? Sure... In some cases this will improve the clarity since the headlights are already scratched/contaminated from the factory.

However, in most cases, you will be better off just applying something like Wet Diamond AFPP, Crystal Seal or both. However, you can and should clay over them like the rest of your car prior to application as they are sensitive to the same air-borne pollutants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    If they`re new lights why mess with them? Apply crystal seal and call it a day. There`s no need to polish a new set of lights unless they`re scratched or faded.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    I agree if they are new. headlights take a beating after 6 months+ though and a light polish keeps em fresh. Especially after winter and I can really feel a lot of crud coming off the headlights when I clay and polish restores the clarity.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have posted betting there is a clear coating on them...I would inspect it for any factory or transportation marring...light polish with a paint cleaner or chemical based polish like PP PP then protect...
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information