Post Thanks / Like

BF Leather Conditioner or Interior Protectant?

Today I detailed my 2014 WRX and used BF leather conditioner on the black leather seats. Tonight I was reading up on the BF interior protectant and I read about how most "modern automotive leathers" are vinyl faced, and that you are better off not using a leather conditioner on them, instead using an interior protectant.

1.) Is there any "easy" way to verify if my leather is vinyl faced or not?

2.) If it is vinyl faced, should I shelve the leather conditioner for another project and buy a bottle of the BF interior protectant?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BF Leather Conditioner or Interior Protectant?

Real leather will absorb water. Protected leather does not. Most cars have protected leather and then often just in the seating area.

BF Interior Protectant will work fine on protected leather but most leather "conditioners" will also work fine as well. These conditioners are water based and not the solvent based products used on leather like baseball gloves. I have used a variety of conditioners and protection products on my leather and have not had spontaneous failure as some seem to claim.

The key to long life is keep it clean and use a protection product. Conditioners can provide protection.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Real leather will absorb water. Protected leather does not. Most cars have protected leather and then often just in the seating area.

BF Interior Protectant will work fine on protected leather but most leather "conditioners" will also work fine as well. These conditioners are water based and not the solvent based products used on leather like baseball gloves. I have used a variety of conditioners and protection products on my leather and have not had spontaneous failure as some seem to claim.

The key to long life is keep it clean and use a protection product. Conditioners can provide protection.
    Thanks for the feedback. Also, congrats on 3k posts, that is a lot of contributing to the community.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 360glitch View Post
    Today I detailed my 2014 WRX and used BF leather conditioner on the black leather seats. Tonight I was reading up on the BF interior protectant and I read about how most "modern automotive leathers" are vinyl faced, and that you are better off not using a leather conditioner on them, instead using an interior protectant.

1.) Is there any "easy" way to verify if my leather is vinyl faced or not?

2.) If it is vinyl faced, should I shelve the leather conditioner for another project and buy a bottle of the BF interior protectant?
    1. Most protected leathers are not coated in vinyl, but one of many types of urethane. Your car is definitely coated.

2. Not really. BLACKFIRE Leather Conditioner was designed to work on coated leather (like yours). It is a protectant, first and foremost, and designed to reduce abrasion and moisture absorption while providing high levels of UV protection. In fact, BF LC was originally designed to protect saddle bags and other motorcycle gear.

There are some condtioners in it, and they are very good ones. This is because your coating is cracking and developing microscopic tears every time you sit in it or move around.

Post Thanks / Like

For newer coated leather, I have been going with a wipedown of 303 Aerospace to get a good UV protectant on there. For older coated leather or leather that is starting to show wear or being dry, I go with a conditioner. I use CG Pure Leather Conditioner which also includes a UV protectant. I think the most important step on any leather protectant, whether just a protectant or a conditioner is the final buff. This removes any remaining residues and provides a nice matte finish. I like to wait about 5-10 minutes after application then do a final buff with a MF towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 360glitch View Post
    Thanks for the information guys.
    It`s what AF does best!

Thread Information