Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire GEP as prep for UPGP?

Hey all. I`ve got numerous paint cleaners on hand but have a massive supply of GEP I need and want use. I also want to use UPGP for the first time in a long time, anyone have issues with GEP and UPGP bonding? I have Pinnacle and Wolfgang cleaners on hand too.....or should I just order some Ultimate Paint Prep? I`ve had no issues with GEP and Crystal Seal but I`m sure UPGP has different chemicals than Crystal Seal....

Thanks for the advice in advance everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire GEP as prep for UPGP?

I`d follow the GEP with a good IPA wipe, then apply the UPGP. Maybe just do a test section. Of course using UP Prep would be best. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you would be fine to use BF GEP before UPGP. I am not sure of the chemical compatibility but knowing BF and Ultima product you should be fine. Obviously you will get the best UPGP durability from using UPP+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting topic. I`m asking pretty much the same question over at AG regarding Wolfgang PPE & CG Lava ( which is a sealant in pudding form to the best I can tell). Basically, I`m thinking GEP & PPE leave something behind (PPE "fills"). So, I`m questioning how "bare" the surface must be to get good sealant bonding.

Since its recommended to use GEP b4 BFWDPP (a sealant) and PPE b4 WGDGPS (a sealant) it seems like whatever is "left behind" shouldn`t bother the sealant.

Although, I once heard a rumor that BFWDPP was/ is made by 4*. If that`s the case, your set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wax2aMax View Post
    I`d follow the GEP with a good IPA wipe, then apply the UPGP. Maybe just do a test section. Of course using UP Prep would be best. JMO.
    i agree, but I am out of the Ultima Paint Prep, and really need to use up what I have before justifying an order from anywhere! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

I would say you would be fine to use BF GEP before UPGP. I am not sure of the chemical compatibility but knowing BF and Ultima product you should be fine. Obviously you will get the best UPGP durability from using UPP+.
    same as above, and thanks! Seems to me I`ll do an IPA wipedown, or use my Griots pre wax cleaner see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Interesting topic. I`m asking pretty much the same question over at AG regarding Wolfgang PPE & CG Lava ( which is a sealant in pudding form to the best I can tell). Basically, I`m thinking GEP & PPE leave something behind (PPE "fills"). So, I`m questioning how "bare" the surface must be to get good sealant bonding.

Since its recommended to use GEP b4 BFWDPP (a sealant) and PPE b4 WGDGPS (a sealant) it seems like whatever is "left behind" shouldn`t bother the sealant.

Although, I once heard a rumor that BFWDPP was/ is made by 4*. If that`s the case, your set.
    Interesting last tidbit there! thanks indeed GEP does fill, a little, but Ive never had any bonding issues with any sealant really, then again I probably strip and reapply too often to know!

Thanks fellas!

Thread Information