Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cat Scratch Fever...!

Every time I see this thread I get that song stuck in my head! Where`s my radio at?!?!
    Get your shine on!

Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratch-X saves the day!

I had a six year old tube of Scratch-X stored away. Pays, to be a hoarder? I had only used the product once many moons ago, trying unsuccessfully to remove a bad abrasion on my Jag`s nose, after meeting head on with a Horse Lubber (GIANT "grasshopper") near Canyon de Chelly, AZ. The Jag dealership ended up repairing that "incident". I just shelved my Scratch-X inside our home, and largely forgot about it.

The old product had separated some, despite vigorous shakes of the tube. Took about three applications of Scratch-X, and re-buffing with a super-soft microfiber towel. Alas...only one barely visible "short streak" remains. Hoping that the Black Diamond will hide the miniscule remaining damage.

How long should I let the area "cure" before re-applying BF Wet Diamond? No BF polish, first? Go buy a new tube of Scratch-X first? Or try, the M105, Ultimate Compound?

Thanks....thanks. Many thanks,...to everyone. This is truly a helpful forum! Reams of great advice here.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have Scratch-X try hitting that little area again. Not sure what you are asking about letting cure. If you meant the Scratch-X there is no curing of that just make sure you clean the residue off. Even though you wiped it with a towel use something to clean it before applying your coat of BFWD.

I am an amateur myself I have used a rotary buffer a couple times and yes they are to be weary of. But I myself bought a Griot`s Garage 6" random Orbital and I love it. It is not just used for polishing, I use mine for waxing also and it saves a lot of elbow grease. It also is supposed to help wax bond better to the paint or clear coat. In my book if you can afford it, it should be on your detailing shelf. JMO though.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Once you have got the scratch removed to you satisfaction with the scratch-X then re-apply what ever products you had previously used on the rest of the car. Glad to see the Scratch-X did the job. A lot of people give up on it after their first try and it gets a bad rap.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, skibik & Paul S, for further comments. Maybe... Santa could bring me an orbital buffer for Christmas? Doubtful, though. Sigh. I am almost ready to make the "next step". Call me Cheap-Chicken.

Paul S: Yup. The scratch-x took definitely remedied the situation down to the last teeny bit. As my tube was so old,...me bought a new one tonight, and will try once more on the last tiny stubborn "scuff". Clearly (is this a pun?)...Scratch-X performed very well.

I wanted to get the car "re-sealed" prior to taking off on a 150 mile day trip in the next two days. I hope I don`t acquire many bugs on the road foray.

How long should a final polish sit/cure? ...Before ...blasting off over a couple of loooong/boooring desert expanses? Here, temps are in the mid-70`s, with low humidity. Suspended dust seems to always "be there", because of the dryness.

Appreciated, your further advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with the BF Gloss Enhancing Polish. I use the Blackfire Paint Protectant and BFMS to top it. From what I read on the product discription its a combination cleaner/polish that can actually hide minor defects. If it`s the same as many cleaner/polish products , it would be ready to go after wiping it off. What does it say on the product itself ? It`s always best to follow the manufactures instructions lol.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I think wetsanding is a bit aggresive as the OP said no deep scratches. I would wetsand only if nothing else worked.

I would try a compound and polish on DA first, if that doesn`t work then go to a compound on a wool pad rotary.

If the scratches aren`t deep, the rotary will be the most aggressive method you have to do.
    I agree. Always start with least aggressive to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    Thanks, skibik & Paul S, for further comments. Maybe... Santa could bring me an orbital buffer for Christmas? Doubtful, though. Sigh. I am almost ready to make the "next step". Call me Cheap-Chicken.

Paul S: Yup. The scratch-x took definitely remedied the situation down to the last teeny bit. As my tube was so old,...me bought a new one tonight, and will try once more on the last tiny stubborn "scuff". Clearly (is this a pun?)...Scratch-X performed very well.

I wanted to get the car "re-sealed" prior to taking off on a 150 mile day trip in the next two days. I hope I don`t acquire many bugs on the road foray.

How long should a final polish sit/cure? ...Before ...blasting off over a couple of loooong/boooring desert expanses? Here, temps are in the mid-70`s, with low humidity. Suspended dust seems to always "be there", because of the dryness.

Appreciated, your further advice.
    Your welcome. On the polish question I am under the assumption you mean the sealant BFWD? I ask because I want to make sure we understand the question, polish is not left on to cure it is wiped off right after buffing is done and not left on to dry or cure. With that said, I have not used my BFWD yet but from what I have read you should only need to wait between coats. Once you have it applied and buffed off there should not be any harm in driving in the open air. I think I read that 2 hours at 70 in between coats was enough, but I may be wrong. If it is raining you might want to give it a couple hours to cure before driving.

Hope this helps,
    Dean.

Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul S,...most of my BF products are almost two years old, so I am still basically working with old stock. The combo of using BF polish, and BF Wet Diamond did/does cover over very minor swirls on two of my cars. Not a cure-all, but does hide at least a few minor flaws. Jag XK and Caddy CTS-V, were/have been improved by using the combo. Cat scuffs ...well...fell into a more noticeable "classification".

My older bottles don`t really explain "good-to-go" finish parameters. In short, I have never known, what the actual time line is, between buffing, and hitting the streets. I have always been very conservative for repeat applications, allowing 24 - 48 hours, or more, between coats. I have only applied product late in the day, or evening. Buffed all off, then, driven cars as usual between coats.

Dean....Yes, the sealant that I was preferring to use is BFWD, mainly because I have the product on hand, and I have been happy with the finish (except for dust!). Because of the grit around here, I am more concerned with trapping abrasive particles on the surface, if said surface is not fully "hardened". As described above, I have always buffed the car(s), only by hand, within a few minutes of application, following initial hazing. I try NOT to keep my car outside for long periods, during product application/buffing because of concern for any possible settling of gritty particles on the surface.

The car will not likely see any rain, for many months,...as we have only had about 4 inches of total rain for all of 2012 so far. Our desert system typically has very little rain over winter, unlike a Mediterranean climate (think southern CA).

Dust/grit, and extreme UV are our main enemies. Static is a nightmare, which also tends to attract even more grit.

Haven`t had a chance to re-apply product from the new tube of Scratch-X. Or apply any other product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information