Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Blackfire Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review / Pics

I`ve been following this forum for a long time, which is how I got introduced to several great products. I really appreciate the fact I’ve benefited so much from all the knowledge and feedback provided by members, so I felt it only right that I share some of my findings as well.

I`ve been using Blackfire Wet Diamond and Deep Gloss Spray for about 18 months and love both products. After reading reviews about Midnight Sun Spray Wax, I decided to give it a try.

I had already put down two coats of BFWD about a month ago. The car has only been washed once and been parked most of the time since, as I`ve been travelling.

So this was my process:

1. Washed car again with DP Extreme Foam (with Foamaster Foam Gun).
    2. Applied one more coat of BFWD with Griot’s Garage Orbital using Griot’s Red pads.
    3. After an hour, I buffed off the BFWD with the GG orbital and microfiber bonnets.
    4. I then let the BFWD coat cure overnight.

5. The next morning I gave the car a final wipe down with a lightly damp microfiber to remove any dust that may have settled overnight.

6. I then applied the Blackfire Spray Wax extremely lightly by holding the can approximately 2 feet away from the surface. (I had tested the night before on my Wife’s car to determine the best distance to avoid over application).

• The advantage of this technique was that it allowed for a very thin and even application.
    • The disadvantage was that it did result in a lot of overspray onto the windows and trim (this was not a major issue as it is very easy to wipe off and definitely does not stain the trim).

Here`s the really interesting part; I`ve always found that after buffing off BFWD, the surface is ultra slick but highly elecrostatically charged, which attracts dust like crazy. I usually find that going over the car with BF Deep Gloss Spray solves this issue, however that is not a step I included this time.
    This turned out to be a huge advantage when applying the spray wax, as the charged surface of the car literally attracted the spray particles like a magnet. This made it incredibly easy to coat the entire car with a fine mist in around 5 minutes.

7. I left the Spray wax to cure for about 20 minutes (as it was a slightly cool day)
    8. Buffed off the spray wax using several microfiber towels.
    I did find that even though removal was effortless, and I definitely did not over apply, there was still a lot of dusting
    The result however was incredible. From the ultra reflective look of the BFWD, the surface now had a much deeper black look to it.
    9. I decided to let that coat cure overnight and perform a comparison the next day using a different application process.
    This time around I sprayed a small amount of the Spray Wax onto a concentrated area and then spread the product with a handheld foam applicator.
    This process was very simple but a lot slower (25min’s for the whole car).
    10. By the time I finished coating the car, the first panel was ready for removal.
    11. Removal was just as easy, but this time with zero dusting, and no overspray to deal with.

In conclusion I am extremely impressed with both the ease of use, and the results of Blackfire Midnight Sun Spray Wax. It will now become my standard compliment to BFWD.
    I was looking for a great product that was easy enough to use that I would not mind applying every month, and I found it.
    Thank you Blackfire!

In terms of application, I think I’ll stick to the foam pad for my monthly applications. I’ll probably use the “electrostatic” spray method as a follow up to my BFWD applications.
    On this note I’d be interested to hear some opinions on whether removing the product with a wet microfiber (to limit dusting when using the spray technique) would compromise the product or result in any way?

I’ve also included some pic’s below of the comparison between the weight of a full can, and the weight of a can after 2 applications on the Panamera. (bear in mind that I also did a little experimenting before the first application). My assumption would be 4 applications in one can.

I posted some photos where I tried to capture some examples of the reflections/look this product gives.
    Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review / Pics

Great review! Awesome powerful car!!
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Thanks for sharing.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

That`s quite a review and since no one`s welcomed you;

To Autopia Forums!!

And one gorgeous car!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for such a good review. bfms spray wax is definitely one of my favorites, especially over bfwd afpp or bfwd polymer spray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice review. I think the pictures of your car looks great also. Nice job all around on the review and the car

Post Thanks / Like

This is on my list to buy, but unfortunately I need to burn through some of the other sprays I have accumulated first.

Thanks for the review...and nice car!

Post Thanks / Like

First and foremost, Welcome to AutopiaForums!!! You have a gorgeous car!!!!

There can be some dusting if you mist/dry/wipe, as you discovered. While it is against BLACKFIRE policy, a lot of you guys would be surprised by the amount of Ivory Carnauba we have packed into the can. Yes it can dust a little if allowed to dry (due the high solid content of the carnauba). However, like most reviews, the look is incredible.

I personally apply it and remove it wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AF!!!. Sorry didn`t mention that earlier. I had to look at your car again

I went to the Porsche dealer here to test drive one. The only thing they had was a 2010...yes a brand new 2010 with a sticker price of 174k. The manager was trying to sell it for $135K, it was the Turbo with a "custom" CF interior.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post

There can be some dusting if you mist/dry/wipe, as you discovered. While it is against BLACKFIRE policy, a lot of you guys would be surprised by the amount of Ivory Carnauba we have packed into the can. Yes it can dust a little if allowed to dry (due the high solid content of the carnauba). However, like most reviews, the look is incredible.

thats the way i tried it last application. spray/spread/buff. worked better. i also was against the dusting first time i used it.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great feedback and comments. And of course for all the welcome messages.

I`ve been wanting to register on the forum for quite some time, and am glad I finally got round to it. This is such an excellent resource for detailing pro`s and hobbyists alike.

I used to be a real die hard BMW fanatic. I still love the cars but once the Porsche bug bit I was fully converted. All my BMW`s were always metallic, but now that I`ve switched to non-metallic Black I`ve had to become even more fanatical about the detailing. As frustrating as it can be to maintain sometimes, nothing looks better than a Blackfire detailed black car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post

Thanks Todd, that`s good to know. Out of interest, if i do leave it to dry for 20 minutes or more and then wipe off with a wet MF, would this compromise the wax?
    VW: 1990 Golf II CSX, BMW: 1999 323i, 2000 325i, 2001 525i, 2004 120i, 2005 530i, 2007 550i, 2009 X6 xDrive 35i Porsche: 2011 Panamera, 2012 Panamera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Great review and car!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6567GTO View Post
    Wow! Great review and car!
    Thanks!
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the Midnight Sun Spray wax has really good anti-static properties. Particularly when compared to BFWD.
    VW: 1990 Golf II CSX, BMW: 1999 323i, 2000 325i, 2001 525i, 2004 120i, 2005 530i, 2007 550i, 2009 X6 xDrive 35i Porsche: 2011 Panamera, 2012 Panamera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EMC2 View Post
    Thanks Todd, that`s good to know. Out of interest, if i do leave it to dry for 20 minutes or more and then wipe off with a wet MF, would this compromise the wax?
    Not in my experience, at all.

Thread Information