Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

BlackFire on new paint...When?

I recently traded out rides. Left behind my sexy, wonderful, 2007 XK convertible Jag, and now have a stodgy 2012 CTS-V Caddie sedan parked in the garage bay.

I always credited the amazing exterior appearance of my XK to Black Fire. Love most of the the older product line.

I want to "Black Fire" (apply Gloss Enhancing Polish, followed by WD All Finish Paint Protection), but have concerns about WHEN to apply to the new car. My "Left over product" is 1.5 years old.

Car was manufactured in March 2012, but the car had a manufacturer`s glitch in the back, requiring a complete replacement, and repaint, of the rear bumper assembly. Dealer did well,... match is perfect. Bumper was replaced/painted on July 12.

The paint on the sedan was/is an upgrade, Black Diamond Tri-Coat. (Cool paint, by the way...).

How long should I curb my desires to give the car "Whiplash"? How long to I let the paint cure, prior to first application?

Thanks.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BlackFire on new paint...When?

If it was painted in the factory then go ahead with your plans in giving your new ride the Blackfire Treatment, but if it was reshot at the dealer I would wait 30-60 days on the area`s that had to be redone. But if waiting is too long for you then use a glaze only on it. Yes that`s a cool color name on your new ride!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m no chemist but typically i`ve heard 4 weeks / 30 days to wait on a re-spray before applying some protection

I say to do the entire car now, except for that rear bumper which was recently painted. I`d stay away from that entirely for now.
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    I`m no chemist but typically i`ve heard 4 weeks / 30 days to wait on a re-spray before applying some protection

I say to do the entire car now, except for that rear bumper which was recently painted. I`d stay away from that entirely for now.
    Agreed, factory paint is usually cured by the time the car rolls out of the factory gates. I would wait 30-90 days before applying the sealant. When in doubt, consult the painter or shop. They are the ones who have to stand behind their work should something go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have heard ........ if the new paint clear coat was forced dry ( baked ), then you shouldn`t have to wait for too long. But, if it is air dry ( in most cases ), then 30 days to be on the safe side. Or, if your weather is like where I am at, which we have days over 100 degrees, then your got a nature "forced dry" system by just parking your car outside under the sun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Y`all..!

I will try to be patient, and wait at least three months before applying product to the bumper. Shucks.

Don`t know, if I can stand waiting on the rest of the body. Our temps have dropped because of Monsoon Season, but they still hover pretty close to 100 every day, and I certainly could point the tail feathers into the afternoon sun. I can only imagine hooow hottt a black bumper must get in full sun exposure.

I presently have about 3000 mostly-fun miles on Hot Caddy, accrued in approximately one month of ownership. I have been washing the car with BF Conditioning Shampoo, and hitting a few buggy spots (not on the bumper) with Eimann Fabrik High Gloss Acrylic Shield following "baths".

Thanks, for all the tips and comments.......

Post Thanks / Like

After a repaint from an accident the shop said 30 days. This was baked in a booth but certainly nothing like a factory could offer.

A 2012 CTS-V stodgy? Never!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    Thanks, Y`all..!

I will try to be patient, and wait at least three months before applying product to the bumper. Shucks.

Don`t know, if I can stand waiting on the rest of the body. Our temps have dropped because of Monsoon Season, but they still hover pretty close to 100 every day, and I certainly could point the tail feathers into the afternoon sun. I can only imagine hooow hottt a black bumper must get in full sun exposure.

I presently have about 3000 mostly-fun miles on Hot Caddy, accrued in approximately one month of ownership. I have been washing the car with BF Conditioning Shampoo, and hitting a few buggy spots (not on the bumper) with Eimann Fabrik High Gloss Acrylic Shield following "baths".

Where do you live?!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Todd,...I haven`t been watching this forum for several days.

I live close to El Paso, TX, in southern NM. This summer, our general area has seen not much relief in triple-digit temps, or close-to-100 degree days.
    The UV exposure in this area can be extreme, depending on one`s elevation.

Our monsoon season has not yet produced much measurable rainfall for our individual location. Our own weather station registered 104 two days ago, and over 100 degrees each day before/since. No rain.

V-Car spends its off time in a hot, closed three-car garage. That oughta cure the bumper?

Good air conditioning helps save the day. Hooray.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    Thanks, Y`all..!

At least waiting 30 days will help and I see your using good old Eimann Fabrik also, so your getting some protection for now.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Thread Information