Post Thanks / Like

other wax toppers for BFWD

i love bfwd and think there`s nothing better than BFWD topped with BFMS, but i have used other wax toppers with good results even though durability may be somewhat compromised: megs#26 hi-tech liquid wax, megs nxt generation tech wax 2.0 liquid, megs gold class carnauba plus liquid wax, and griot`s carnauba wax stick are a few that i have used. anybody else try any different wax toppers ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: other wax toppers for BFWD

I have used DP Max Wax over BFWD. Worked fine. Also XMT 360 Spray Wax. That`s about it

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO none. If you top a sealant you are creating a maintenance nightmare-again IMHO. If you use a sealant with any WAX its life is seriously limited compared to BFWD, plus waxes hold alot of dirt and debris (Again IMHO). and the stay clean properties of the BFWD are limited. I learned this when I used to clay my car with P21S 100% on it as a stand alone LSP. Loads more fall out on the clay. After switching to UPGP and BFWD not so much.

The layering effect yields minimal improvement in glass IMHO and creates more work. If these is not wax, a quick wipe down and pack on more BFWD in a few days and you can really extend out the BFWD several months.

I don`t see the toping as a benefit unless we are talking garage queen/show car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    IMHO none. If you top a sealant you are creating a maintenance nightmare-again IMHO. If you use a sealant with any WAX its life is seriously limited compared to BFWD, plus waxes hold alot of dirt and debris (Again IMHO). and the stay clean properties of the BFWD are limited. I learned this when I used to clay my car with P21S 100% on it as a stand alone LSP. Loads more fall out on the clay. After switching to UPGP and BFWD not so much.

The layering effect yields minimal improvement in glass IMHO and creates more work. If these is not wax, a quick wipe down and pack on more BFWD in a few days and you can really extend out the BFWD several months.

I don`t see the toping as a benefit unless we are talking garage queen/show car.
    with the advent of bfcs and bfwdps, maintaining bfwd is the easiet it`s ever been, but i still love the added depth and gloss that waxing over the bfwd gives. the results to me are obvious and purely aesthetic, but i like it. i`m an old retired fart and don`t mind the extra work

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BFMS was made for BFWD for the ultimat shine, but you can top it with your favorite wax. I have top it with P21S Carnauba Car Wax, Pinnacle Souveran Wax and also Poorboy`s Natty`s Blue and Red wax. IMO they all look great and even when they were gone from the paint I still have protection from BFWD. Remember for that razor sharp wet look only a sealant can deliver that for you but if you want a warm wet look then top it with your favorite wax. Just remember to wait 12-24 hrs before topping the finish with a wax if you can.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    with the advent of bfcs and bfwdps, maintaining bfwd is the easiet it`s ever been, but i still love the added depth and gloss that waxing over the bfwd gives. the results to me are obvious and purely aesthetic, but i like it. i`m an old retired fart and don`t mind the extra work
    Ok then. Enjoy it. After all this is a hobby for us and you should do what you want which is why I wrote IMHO a few times.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m kinda the opposite: I like BF CS topped with BFWD!
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    i love bfwd and think there`s nothing better than BFWD topped with BFMS, but i have used other wax toppers with good results even though durability may be somewhat compromised: megs#26 hi-tech liquid wax, megs nxt generation tech wax 2.0 liquid, megs gold class carnauba plus liquid wax, and griot`s carnauba wax stick are a few that i have used. anybody else try any different wax toppers ?
    In terms of "will it work" just about any wax that doesn`t have strong solvents (pre-VOC formulas or "chemical cleaner waxes") or abrasives (all-in-one cleaner/waxes) will "work" in the sense that they will adhere over the top the sealant. How long they last it really the main question.

When BFWD was introduced (replacing the previously existing All Finish Paint Protection) the inclusion of the different polymers (the tri-polymer cocktail) created a surface that had a more even finish then previously available polymer sealants. This created a microscopically smoother finish; one that traditional waxes had a hard time sticking too.

This is why BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun (starting with batch 24) was engineered with the Wet Diamond Polymers. The goal wasn`t to create the first premium carnauba to take advantage of polymer technology but rather to create a wax that would actually have a synergistic affect when applied on top of the paint sealant.

So you can use just about any solvent or cleaner free wash on top of BFWD (with out affecting the Wet Diamond) and I (just like you guys) love to experiment. However when it comes to "creating whiplash" than Wet Ice over Fire has you covered!

Thread Information