Post Thanks / Like

BFWD and condensation post application

finally got around to polishing my truck this year (been busy with clients) and saturday morning post polish I applied 1 coat of BFWD. it was hot and sunny all day so this coat had plenty of time to cure so I know that is fine

last night after work I washed the truck and applied a 2nd coat of sealant and buffed off after 730pm

couple hours later after dark I noticed condensation all over my truck. I don`t know if this was the sealant `sweating` as I`ve seen this in the past with 845 and I was the only car with condensation on the paint.

Regarless, it was wet. and it was wet from dew upon morning inspection.

From what I understand with some other sealants out there, this type of exposure is bad for the sealant. as in the sealant loses some durability. However, there are sealants like KSG that you can dilute with water on application or buff off with the assistance of water based products (QD)

Can anyone comment on how sensitive blackfire sealant is to the situation I described?

The truck looks great so thats not really up for debate. just curious on the behavior of the sealant in various conditions such as what happened here. Thanks...
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BFWD and condensation post application

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    finally got around to polishing my truck this year (been busy with clients) and saturday morning post polish I applied 1 coat of BFWD. it was hot and sunny all day so this coat had plenty of time to cure so I know that is fine

last night after work I washed the truck and applied a 2nd coat of sealant and buffed off after 730pm

couple hours later after dark I noticed condensation all over my truck. I don`t know if this was the sealant `sweating` as I`ve seen this in the past with 845 and I was the only car with condensation on the paint.

Regarless, it was wet. and it was wet from dew upon morning inspection.

From what I understand with some other sealants out there, this type of exposure is bad for the sealant. as in the sealant loses some durability. However, there are sealants like KSG that you can dilute with water on application or buff off with the assistance of water based products (QD)

Can anyone comment on how sensitive blackfire sealant is to the situation I described?

The truck looks great so thats not really up for debate. just curious on the behavior of the sealant in various conditions such as what happened here. Thanks...
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond will not sweat so what you have noticed is condensation. The majority of BFWD cures fairly quickly, the rest of the time is waiting for the remaining amount to catch up. So even if the exposure to surface humidity would effect the uncured polymers, the amount would be negligible. If you want to apply another coat just to be sure then you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond will not sweat so what you have noticed is condensation. The majority of BFWD cures fairly quickly, the rest of the time is waiting for the remaining amount to catch up. So even if the exposure to surface humidity would effect the uncured polymers, the amount would be negligible. If you want to apply another coat just to be sure then you can.
    I`ll second Todd`s comment.

I`m not sure where the phenomenon of sealants or waxes sweating comes from.

If you think about it logically, for this to happen the layer of protection which is no more then 1/10 of a micron thick somehow would need to carry its own supply of moisture in order to sweat.

The small beads or droplets of water some see comes from airborne moisture settling on the freshly sealed or waxed surface.

Wax has a very low surface tension and conversely water has a very high surface tension. If enough moisture settles on a freshly sealed or waxed surface beads of water will begin to form appearing as sweat however body panels do not sweat....my opinion of course...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

good info. thanks. sounds like since it was the second coat and it had over an hour to cure before I saw any condensation that its fine.

I have a client later today that will be getting LSP applied around the same time of day. good to know I can stick with BFWD if necessary

Now I can worry about more important stuff like what to top the sealant with on my truck. Its a silver tacoma so midnight sun is probably a waste. may do p21s concours paste
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Midnight Sun made my silver paint look like it glowed. Try it.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    good info. thanks. sounds like since it was the second coat and it had over an hour to cure before I saw any condensation that its fine.

I have a client later today that will be getting LSP applied around the same time of day. good to know I can stick with BFWD if necessary

Now I can worry about more important stuff like what to top the sealant with on my truck. Its a silver tacoma so midnight sun is probably a waste. may do p21s concours paste
    Yeah if it was the second coat you are more than fine!!!

P21S has always been a favorite of mine on lighter color cars (and the 100% is just awesome on anything!

Thread Information