Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Help: New to Blackfire & DA Polisher

Hi all,

I have waxed/polished before but by hand.

I`m new to Blackfire and DA Polisher. I`m excited to get started but have some questions and could use your help. I have read and searched but have some questions.

I just bought a Griot`s Garage Random Orbital and a 5" backing plate and:

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
    BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal
    BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax

Lake Country 5.5 CCS:
    Orange, White, Green, Gray, Red

Foam Pad Conditioning Brush

The car I`m detailing is my 2005 Phantom Black Pontiac GTO, it has soft paint, It does have swirls and some holograms, which I want to remove, or at least minimize.

Here are my questions:

1. What LC CSS Pad and speed for
    BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish?
    (My research pointed to a Green pad)

2. What LC CSS Pad and speed for
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection?
    (My research pointed to a Red pad)

3. The order of the products:
    BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish (Green pad?)
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection (Red pad?)
    BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax (by Hand)

or

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish (Green pad?)
    BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal (Pad?)
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection (Red pad?)
    BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax (by Hand)

Thanks in Advance!!!!!

-Evil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help: New to Blackfire & DA Polisher

1. Only way to know is to do a test spot. Try the finishing polish on a green pad and see if it removes the swirls. If it doesn`t, step up to white. Still not, then orange. If the finish is hazy after, follow with a second pass with black.

2. Red is fine.

3. Shouldn`t need TPnS in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool car and great color. I too have a black car.

I`m still on the fence between the PC and Griots DA. Should be a no brainer (power - lifetime warranty) but still undecided.

I`ve also struggled with pad selection so I`m thinking of LC Hydro Tech, Opti Microfiber and a few LC Constant Pressure pads in 4" and 5.5 - crazy stuff but you will find this forum and its members to be most helpful. I have tracked current and old threads and have taken away a lot of valuable information that makes me comfortable purchasing a DA polisher for the first time.

Best of luck with your first detailing. Please post your results, trial and errors so others, like me, can lean from your experience.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed...no need for TPnS....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP4449 View Post

I`m still on the fence between the PC and Griots DA. Should be a no brainer (power - lifetime warranty) but still undecided.
    If I was choosing between two it would be the Griot`s and the Meg`s.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw on other AG forums that Groits has possibly down sized there power? I ordered mine this weekend and i am pissed. That was the only reason i bought Groits power. Didn`t get it yet, after i placed order got email that DA is on BO. Then saw this thread i think i will switch to PC.

Does your Griot`s DA say PROFESSIONAL random orbital on the side? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Post Thanks / Like

I have both a PCXP and a "non-professional" GG6. There is no comparison in power.

Both are great machines, BTW. The smaller size and lighter weight of the PCXP are great for tighter areas and using smaller pads. The more powerful GG6 makes larger, flatter panels go much quicker.

Whichever machine you get, be aware of each machines strengths and use appropriately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    If I was choosing between two it would be the Griot`s and the Meg`s.
    I had forgotten about the Meg`s G110v2 so I guess I should add it to my list for consideration.

Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrash View Post
    Just saw on other AG forums that Groits has possibly down sized there power? I ordered mine this weekend and i am pissed. That was the only reason i bought Groits power. Didn`t get it yet, after i placed order got email that DA is on BO. Then saw this thread i think i will switch to PC.

Does your Griot`s DA say PROFESSIONAL random orbital on the side? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    I wouldn`t be so harsh as to bail out on the Griot`s based on some incorrect assumptions.

We sell a ton of Griot`s Garage Polishers every year and I have yet (until that thread) have heard of any complaints of less power. In fact, overwhelmingly, people who purchase this machine love it`s power.

Unfortunately in the forum world you tend to get a a snow ball effect when people make assumptions. If 2 people out of 5000 feel like their product doesn`t generate the same power, then you get an epic thread of assumptions, debate, and gossip. Griot`s changed the model, used a cheaper motor, was concerned with the heat, and so on and so on when NONE of the above it true.

The Griot`s Garage Polisher, whether it says "Professional" or not, is the same exact machine, with the same body, internals (including motor) and more.

Apparently there is a "throttle screw" (lack of a better term) that controls power output. These are hand tuned at the factory, it is not uncommon for some to be tweaked a little stronger. This explains why some have received `freaks` that are extremely powerful.

I am sure, with some research, you could adjust this screw yourself, although I would assume that you may void Griot`s warranty. I would obviously check with them before digging into your calibrated machine.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Over 5 years on a GG6, used every other day for boats and cars....3 of us own it...been dropped, kicked, wet, everything....can`t kill it, works like day 1. Own this and the 3 inch, both great products....would have no other
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Over 5 years on a GG6, used every other day for boats and cars....3 of us own it...been dropped, kicked, wet, everything....can`t kill it, works like day 1. Own this and the 3 inch, both great products....would have no other
    They are great machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I wouldn`t be so harsh as to bail out on the Griot`s based on some incorrect assumptions.

We sell a ton of Griot`s Garage Polishers every year and I have yet (until that thread) have heard of any complaints of less power. In fact, overwhelmingly, people who purchase this machine love it`s power.

Unfortunately in the forum world you tend to get a a snow ball effect when people make assumptions. If 2 people out of 5000 feel like their product doesn`t generate the same power, then you get an epic thread of assumptions, debate, and gossip. Griot`s changed the model, used a cheaper motor, was concerned with the heat, and so on and so on when NONE of the above it true.

The Griot`s Garage Polisher, whether it says "Professional" or not, is the same exact machine, with the same body, internals (including motor) and more.

Apparently there is a "throttle screw" (lack of a better term) that controls power output. These are hand tuned at the factory, it is not uncommon for some to be tweaked a little stronger. This explains why some have received `freaks` that are extremely powerful.

I am sure, with some research, you could adjust this screw yourself, although I would assume that you may void Griot`s warranty. I would obviously check with them before digging into your calibrated machine.
    I decided to keep my order the way it was. I will give Griot`s a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrash View Post
    I decided to keep my order the way it was. I will give Griot`s a shot.

I think this is a great choice. There is nothing wrong with the other machines (seriously we only carry the best at out store) BUT the list of happy Griot`s users is HUGE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd, Made me feel confident.

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

First of all, thank you all for the input and help.

I was a bit nervous using the Griots DA. This machine rocks, doesn`t vibrate to much, and is a torque monster, at speed 5 and heavy pressure did not make it slow down one bit. And is easy to use. I`m happy with this DA, if you are on the fence don`t think twice, excellent purchase.

So I used my wife`s 2008 Mazda AWD Turbo CX-7 as the guinea pig
    This car had swirl marks, holograms, paint transfer from other cars, It`s a Daily Driver and is never garaged, sits out in the So.Cal sun and elements all year round. I have no before pictures, I didn`t think the before and afters would be dramatic.... I was wrong...

The CX-7 was clay bared the week before with Mothers clay, nice and smooth, we even clayed the windows (The wife helped ).

The CX-7 was washed with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner, final rinse with distilled water and patted dry with a Korean Waffle Weave Microfiber.

Drove the CX-7 into the Garage and masked off the "Chrome" window details, then went at it.

I started with

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish and a Green (polish) Lake Country 5.5 CCS pad (speed 5), and was getting nowhere, so I switched to an Orange CCS pad (speed 5) and some pressure. Now we are talking.... removing swirls, holograms. Minor defects and Paint Transfer removed with some heavy pressure added (GG6 didn`t trip with the added pressure) ... things were looking good... tons of defects removed, some very heavy stuff left behind (80% corrected?)

I also removed headlight and tail light defects with this combo.

Moved on to

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection with a Grey Lake Country 5.5 CCS pad (speed 4). It was hot butter smooth... and a great shine!!!

About 4 hours total!

I`m Happy Blackfire!!!!!!!!!

Here are the final results (via phone camera, I`ll bust out the DSLR on the goat)

And the wife is happy!!!!!

-Evil!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information