Post Thanks / Like

Proper Application of BF products

Guys,

I apologize for a rather long note but I’m seriously considering Blackfire products and even though I have read through the threads I want to confirm my understanding.

Everything I do will be by hand – no machine. While I have looked at Zaino and some of the products from Chemical Guys I believe that Blackfire will provide me with a full-line of products that are easy on – easy off with high gloss, slickness and suitable durability through Nebraska summers and winters.

My wife has a Pearl White Lexus and being built for me as I write this is a Jet Black Porsche Carrera 911.

If I was to use Blackfire products would this be your recommendation for application?

Appreciate everyone’s time and input.

Major Detail:

1. Wash car with W.D. Conditioner Shampoo. Dry.
    2. Apply Total Polish & Seal. Buff.
    3. Wait 2 hours. Apply W.D. All Finish Paint Protection. Buff.

Q1. When would I use Gloss Enhancing Polish vs. Total P&S, if ever?

Q2. Should I use W.D. Polymer Spray while buffing off both Total P&S and All Finish Paint Protection?

And finally, I fully understand that I’d probably benefit from two coats of All Finish Paint Protection and one application of Midnight Sun paste wax. Too bad no liquid wax.

Thank you,
    Jim

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper Application of BF products

If you are buying cars of that magnitude, invest in a griots garage random orbital and three pads, all the products will go on easier and coat better. You owe it to yourself. I was with Porsche Cars North America for 9 years, we applied everything by machine at the prep centers. Treat your car right, hand application is low tech and tough work when doing multi stage detailing.

now to your questions:
    1. you can start application immediately after the TPnS - yes, get off the haze with poly spray.
    2. The poly spray can be used after any stage, and to spruce up after a wash in weekly maintenance
    3. try the baggie test on the Porsche - it may need to be clayed before you do anything, being new does not mean it`s not microscopically dirty. Mine was.

I just did a new Z4 this way here:
    click here:
    http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ed-new-z4.html
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

The BF GEP will clean off old LSP and make the surface LSP ready, unless you need to remove swirls/scratches. TP&S can do mild correction (and clean off old LSP), so if you have some light imperfections you could go that route. But, by hand I`m not sure you`ll get much correction. I`d really think about buying a DA polisher.

After the TP&S cures then go with BFWD...for me a second coat would be optional (if you`ve already used TP&S). I`d buff the TP&S off with BFPS, but let the BFWD cure 8+hrs. then wipe it down with BFPS. There are other options....it`s all good.

BFWD is so easy to re-apply...just add a coat every 2-3 months (after a wash). The carnauba is up to you (but don`t apply more BFWD over it). JMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

I apologize for a rather long note but I’m seriously considering Blackfire products and even though I have read through the threads I want to confirm my understanding.
    Hi Jim, welcome to AutopiaForums!

Everything I do will be by hand – no machine. While I have looked at Zaino and some of the products from Chemical Guys I believe that Blackfire will provide me with a full-line of products that are easy on – easy off with high gloss, slickness and suitable durability through Nebraska summers and winters.
    All three are great product lines. I think you will be very pleased choosing BLACKFIRE.

Appreciate everyone’s time and input.

Major Detail:

1. Wash car with W.D. Conditioner Shampoo. Dry.
    2. Apply Total Polish & Seal. Buff.
    3. Wait 2 hours. Apply W.D. All Finish Paint Protection. Buff.
    I would definitely clay both cars first but your basic process is very sound.

Q1. When would I use Gloss Enhancing Polish vs. Total P&S, if ever?
    Gloss Enhancing Polish is a very light, non abrasive cleaner/glaze. It can actually remove minor swirl marks. Total Polish & Seal is an abrasive cleaner and sealant combination. There is some overlap but many fans of Wet Diamond like to apply it by itself. Also many fans of Midnight Sun like to use the wax on top of bare paint and enjoy the look of a premium carnauba.

Q2. Should I use W.D. Polymer Spray while buffing off both Total P&S and All Finish Paint Protection?
    If you are going to top Total Polish & Seal with Wet Diamond AFPP, then I wouldn`t use Polymer Spray after the TP&S. I mean you can, but there is honestly no need. Save the Polymer Spray for maintenance.

And finally, I fully understand that I’d probably benefit from two coats of All Finish Paint Protection and one application of Midnight Sun paste wax. Too bad no liquid wax.

Thank you,
    Jim
    With TPS as a base you will still likely ensure maximum benefit from applying two coats of Wet Diamond.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of my truck after doing just what you are talking about doing....including claying. All done by hand! And damn were my arms and shoulders sore when I was done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

all good sound advice but you will definitely appreciate a da machine to make your applications easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    If you are buying cars of that magnitude, invest in a griots garage random orbital and three pads, all the products will go on easier and coat better. You owe it to yourself. I was with Porsche Cars North America for 9 years, we applied everything by machine at the prep centers. Treat your car right, hand application is low tech and tough work when doing multi stage detailing.
    Thanks for the advice. I`ve considered a random orbital before and passed on the idea but that was when I had white or silver cars. I`ll give serious consideration to your suggestion. By the way, thanks for the link to your car. Looks like a fun car.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Hi Jim, welcome to AutopiaForums!

I would definitely clay both cars first but your basic process is very sound.

Gloss Enhancing Polish is a very light, non abrasive cleaner/glaze. It can actually remove minor swirl marks. Total Polish & Seal is an abrasive cleaner and sealant combination. There is some overlap but many fans of Wet Diamond like to apply it by itself. Also many fans of Midnight Sun like to use the wax on top of bare paint and enjoy the look of a premium carnauba.

If you are going to top Total Polish & Seal with Wet Diamond AFPP, then I wouldn`t use Polymer Spray after the TP&S. I mean you can, but there is honestly no need. Save the Polymer Spray for maintenance.

With TPS as a base you will still likely ensure maximum benefit from applying two coats of Wet Diamond.

Todd,

Thanks for the reply. One last Polish question.

If I`m not doing any paint correction and I don`t need the abrasives (TP&S) and I`m going to apply WD Paint Sealant after the polish would I be better off with the Gloss Enhanced Polish vs. TP&S?

I do understand the need to clay the car first, forget to mention that in my initial note.

Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP4449 View Post
    Todd,

Thanks for the reply. One last Polish question.

If I`m not doing any paint correction and I don`t need the abrasives (TP&S) and I`m going to apply WD Paint Sealant after the polish would I be better off with the Gloss Enhanced Polish vs. TP&S?

I do understand the need to clay the car first, forget to mention that in my initial note.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Hi Jim.

Both TP&S and Gloss Enhancing Polish are going work extremely easily by hand.

If you are planning on doing two coats of BF Wet Diamond, then I would likely go with the Gloss Enhancing Polish. This way you have a perfectly clean surface that is ready to accept Wet Diamond Sealant (which has the highest concentration of Wet Diamond Polymers per coat). With two coats, the increase in protection by using TP&S as a base coat will not matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Hi Jim.

Both TP&S and Gloss Enhancing Polish are going work extremely easily by hand.

If you are planning on doing two coats of BF Wet Diamond, then I would likely go with the Gloss Enhancing Polish. This way you have a perfectly clean surface that is ready to accept Wet Diamond Sealant (which has the highest concentration of Wet Diamond Polymers per coat). With two coats, the increase in protection by using TP&S as a base coat will not matter.
    Thanks Todd!

So the real difference from additional reading and comments on this thread tells me the GEP is non-abrasive and has glaze elements in the polish that may help hide minor swirl marks. Sounds like the way to go with my new black beauty. And if I eventually need correction work I can try TPNS and/or SRC using a DA polisher with the correct pad (more to learn but I have time before my car arrives).

I think I`ll use the TPNS on my wife`s white pearl SUV and then follow with Crystal Seal for added protection. Sounds like I could also use GEP followed by CS if no correction is needed. Interesting. I like the idea of having multiple options with one product line. The less time I spend on my wife`s car means more time I can spend on my car. I like that.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. I`m feeling better about this. And yes, I will invest in the DA polisher even if I only use it when I need to do correction.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

The Crystal Seal is a great product...GEP follwed by BFCS will work fine. I use CS on windows (even my front storm door glass) and it`s super easy. I`d also get some waterless wash and poly seal spray for boosting the gloss/protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP4449 View Post
    Thanks Todd!

So the real difference from additional reading and comments on this thread tells me the GEP is non-abrasive and has glaze elements in the polish that may help hide minor swirl marks. Sounds like the way to go with my new black beauty. And if I eventually need correction work I can try TPNS and/or SRC using a DA polisher with the correct pad (more to learn but I have time before my car arrives).

I think I`ll use the TPNS on my wife`s white pearl SUV and then follow with Crystal Seal for added protection. Sounds like I could also use GEP followed by CS if no correction is needed. Interesting. I like the idea of having multiple options with one product line. The less time I spend on my wife`s car means more time I can spend on my car. I like that.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. I`m feeling better about this. And yes, I will invest in the DA polisher even if I only use it when I need to do correction.

Jim
    Jim you are very welcome.

The combination your mentioned on your wife`s car is really perfect for a daily driver. The TPNS will clean the paint and assure the perfect bonding of the Wet Diamond polymers in both itself and Crystal Seal.

With additional time you save on your wife`s car you can better explore the BLACKFIRE line!

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Thread Information