Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant

BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant

BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant has a polymer rich formula allows clay to glide over the surface without sticking or scratching. It creates a microscopic barrier between the paint and the clay cleaning material. The high lubricity formula prevents loosened contamination from scratching delicate clear coat finishes yet it will not break down or degrade the integrity of the clay. Additionally BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant is has light cleaners that remove clay residue as you work and conditions that hydrate the clay and prevent it from drying out.

Instructions

Wash and dry the vehicle thoroughly. Mist BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant onto a small area, approximately 2 feet by 2 feet square.

Lightly rub BLACKFIRE PolyClay over the area until it is smooth and the clay glides easily.

Gently wipe dry with a plush Cobra microfiber detailing cloth.

Repeat over the entire surface of the vehicle until done.

BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant has light cleaners that prevent the clay from sticking on the surface. If such clay smudge residue occurs, mist the area and wipe clean with a microfiber towel.

BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant features conditioners that hydrate the clay and prevent it from drying out. This extends the life of the clay as you use it as well as when you store it. Mist the clay on both sides before placing in the storage case to keep it hydrated until the next use.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant

Questions or comments welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this significantly different than the quick detailer? I`ve used quick detailer as lube most of the time. Lately I`ve been using UWW or ONR as clay lube

Post Thanks / Like

I was having similar thoughts. I`ve always used QD`s for clay lubricants, simply to slim down the number of products I need to buy, but if there is a definite benefit of a dedicated lube over a QD I will gladly make the switch.

Gonna have to add this to my cart as well...
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Is this significantly different than the quick detailer? I`ve used quick detailer as lube most of the time. Lately I`ve been using UWW or ONR as clay lube
    Clay is abrasive to some degree, not necessarily abrasive to the paint, but when used properly, it is abrasive to above surface contamination that it removes. Much like a polish is abrasive. As we know with polishes, changing the lubricants or carrier oils (or solvents or binders) can have a dramatic difference in the way the polish not only cuts (total cut and rate of cut) but also in how it finishes.

BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant was tested with and designed to provide the right amount of lubricant to allow BLACKFIRE PolyClay II to remove contamination quickly will still protecting the surface. Since all quick detailers (and other products like soap and water mixes) provide varying levels of lubrication you may get slightly different results (less contamination removal or an increased risk of marring) by using other products.

While there is nothing wrong with mixing and matching lubricants and clay, BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant takes the guess work out of the equation and guarenttes you are getting the best results possible from the clay.

As a benefit it features cleaners that help prevent clay from sticking to the surface and help remove any clay that may have smeared.

Post Thanks / Like

New user here with two questions. I`ve been a Blackfire user since 2003. Just recently purchased a fresh stock of new Blackfire products to use on my new Phantom Black Audi S5 (I know I will rue the day I bought a black car).

Anyway, I always clay my new cars so when I went to grab some Pinnacle Poly Clay, I was shocked to see that it was all gone! Anyway I broke out an unopened bar of Blackfire Clay that I`ve had sitting in my detail kit for a few years. I was shocked at how sticky the Blackfire clay was. Is this normal or has it sat too long? I`ve read that the Blackfire clay is one of the most aggressive. Does that equate to sticky? My fingers were sticky all day after that!

Second question. I was also out of Pinnacle Clay lube and must have purchased the Blackfire Lube with the Clay. I was also surprised at how different the Blackfire Lube was to the Pinnacle. Pinnacle`s lube seems much slicker and almost soapy compared to the Blackfire lube. I found that to keep the Blackfire Clay from grabbing the paint I needed to use A LOT of lube. So much so that I went through an entire 20 oz bottle on only half of the car. The same 20 oz of Pinnacle Lube lasted a few clayings of my prior car.

Is this to be expected?

BTW, I absolutely love the look of BFWD All Finish Paint Protection on a black car! I`m really looking forward to topping it with Midnight Sun.

Thanks for a great forum!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbateman View Post
    New user here with two questions. I`ve been a Blackfire user since 2003. Just recently purchased a fresh stock of new Blackfire products to use on my new Phantom Black Audi S5 (I know I will rue the day I bought a black car).

Anyway, I always clay my new cars so when I went to grab some Pinnacle Poly Clay, I was shocked to see that it was all gone! Anyway I broke out an unopened bar of Blackfire Clay that I`ve had sitting in my detail kit for a few years. I was shocked at how sticky the Blackfire clay was. Is this normal or has it sat too long? I`ve read that the Blackfire clay is one of the most aggressive. Does that equate to sticky? My fingers were sticky all day after that!

Second question. I was also out of Pinnacle Clay lube and must have purchased the Blackfire Lube with the Clay. I was also surprised at how different the Blackfire Lube was to the Pinnacle. Pinnacle`s lube seems much slicker and almost soapy compared to the Blackfire lube. I found that to keep the Blackfire Clay from grabbing the paint I needed to use A LOT of lube. So much so that I went through an entire 20 oz bottle on only half of the car. The same 20 oz of Pinnacle Lube lasted a few clayings of my prior car.

Is this to be expected?

BTW, I absolutely love the look of BFWD All Finish Paint Protection on a black car! I`m really looking forward to topping it with Midnight Sun.

Thanks for a great forum!
    Mike
    Hey Mike!

If your clay is several years old it is likely the original BLACKFIRE Poly Clay formula (which was later updated to PolyClay II). The original formula could become overly `sticky` or tacky as you put it.

This is probably why you had a hard time with it grabbing the paint and ended up using a ton of lube. Usually when the clay becomes tacky, it is the outer most part that is responsible. If you tear the clay in half and knead it you can usually expose a less sticky, less tacky side.

Make sure to shake BF Clay Lube up really well, particularly if it has sat for a long long time. It has some polymers in it that promote the lubricity, as well as some cleaning agents. Both these are heavier and will sink to the bottom and separate.

Sorry for the late reply, congrats on the awesome Audi, and thank you for the compliments regarding the forum!

Thread Information