Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing your Microfiber Towels

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    ...A little trick is to add about 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle. While this sounds somewhat odd, vinegar is nothing more than acetic acid which comes from most fruits containing sugar but it makes the towels so soft, something your finish will thank you for.
    Where is Mr. Biology when we need him? I`m pretty sure there is some misinformation here. Yes, vinegar includes acetic acid and water as primary components, some might argue that diluted acetic acid does not constitue vinegar...but I digress... I don`t know of any fruits (bananas...trace maybe) which contain acetic acid. Citric and malic are the predominant acids found in fruits.

The supposed effect vinegar has which results in a softer finish is it reportedly helps to release soap residues from the fabric. This not only leaves a softer finish, but also helps to prevent streaking with your glass towels. I have used vinegar as a rinse agent for all of our laundry for several years now. It should also be noted that the vinegar I refer to is the 5% white vinegar as opposed to apple cider vinegar (apples do not contain acetic acid), 10% and 20% each of which have their own unique uses, household and garden.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

acetic acid + water = vinegar.

citric acid is the acid most commonly found it fruits. most fruits do not contain acetic acid.

Post Thanks / Like

If I have a decent about of wheel/door jam and paint paint towels I do them together with a MF wash. Ive used DP and CG, CG seems to get them cleaner and softer. Sometimes I pre soak polishing/wax removel towels in a bucket. Never tried the vinegar rinse. Do you add this as the cycle starts to add the rinse water? And about 1/2 cup to a small load?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    Do you add this as the cycle starts to add the rinse water? And about 1/2 cup to a small load?

Depends if your doing a single rinse or as I do among others two rinse cycles. I add mine to the second cycle but it probably doesn`t matter much never tried one against the other to see if one works better than the other. It`s easier for me to just reset the machine to rinse than to stand by and baby sit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    What I do is to let the washer run it`s full cycle until it stops. Then I add the vinegar and resert the dial to rinse and restart the machine. If you have never looked you would be amazed at how much soap is left behind with only one rinse cycle.
    What I have heard is that the typical recommended amount of laundry detergent is more than necessary. Intuitively, it does seem like way too much. Maybe that`s why?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve always just used the normal amount of soap (Tide) as anything else we wash. Could be that a lot of people pre-soak them in APC and that is where they are having problems. I never have but mine are never really all that dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I`ve finally found a use for the giant jug of vinegar in my cup board haha I have to use a coin operated washer though, the double rinse method is expensive :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwtaco View Post
    acetic acid + water = vinegar.

citric acid is the acid most commonly found it fruits. most fruits do not contain acetic acid.
    You`re correct, fruits do not contain acetic acid, but then again I never said it did.

My intention was to provide the group with a few simple instructions to effectively clean and soften Microfiber towels.

This is not a course in chemistry.

Acetic acid is a byproduct through fermentation of sugars and starches transforming them into alcohol then ultimately into acetic acid..

Vinegar is 5% acetic acid + 95% water

Vinegar can be made from most any sweet or starchy material, such as juices of fruits, vegetables, and grains. A little warmth and the right bacteria, acetic acid bacteria, will turn sugars and alcohol into acetic acid, the main component of vinegar.

Vinegar is produced using a two-step fermentation process. Naturally occurring starches are first converted to sugars. These sugars are then allowed to ferment with yeast producing alcohol. The alcohol is then exposed to an acetobacterium which converts it to acetic acid.

Nitpicking is what kills forums. The information I`ve given is correct.

If you don`t want to pick up a bottle of cheap white vinegar and try it then so be it!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

You`re correct, fruits do not contain acetic acid, but then again I never said it did.

My intention was to provide the group with a few simple instructions to effectively clean and soften Microfiber towels.

Acetic acid is a byproduct through fermentation of sugars and starches transforming them into alcohol then ultimately into acetic acid..

Vinegar can be made from most any sweet or starchy material, such as juices of fruits, vegetables, and grains. A little warmth and the right bacteria, acetic acid bacteria, will turn sugars and alcohol into acetic acid, the main component of vinegar.

Vinegar is produced using a two-step fermentation process. Naturally occurring starches are first converted to sugars. These sugars are then allowed to ferment with yeast producing alcohol. The alcohol is then exposed to an acetobacterium which converts it to acetic acid.

If you don`t want to pick up a bottle of cheap white vinegar and try it then so be it!
    my post certainly wasnt intended to nitpick. not interested in that and not my thing. was commenting on the post just prior to mine.

in fact, i did use the vinegar during the rinse cycle as you suggested and my towels came out odorless and soft. great tip.

honestly, i dont give a rats ass whether fruits have acetic acid. you could tell me they come from unicorns and if my towels come out softer, then

Post Thanks / Like

my post certainly wasnt intended to nitpick. not interested in that and not my thing. was commenting on the post just prior to mine.

in fact, i did use the vinegar during the rinse cycle as you suggested and my towels came out odorless and soft. great tip.

honestly, i dont give a rats ass whether fruits have acetic acid. you could tell me they come from unicorns and if my towels come out softer, then

Post Thanks / Like

The first sentence in my reply pertained to your comment regarding critic acid vs acetic acid.

What I failed to do mwtaco, was to copy the post that most of this reply was directed at and it wasn`t you, my apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Where is Mr. Biology when we need him? I`m pretty sure there is some misinformation here. Yes, vinegar includes acetic acid and water as primary components, some might argue that diluted acetic acid does not constitue vinegar...but I digress... I don`t know of any fruits (bananas...trace maybe) which contain acetic acid. Citric and malic are the predominant acids found in fruits.

The supposed effect vinegar has which results in a softer finish is it reportedly helps to release soap residues from the fabric. This not only leaves a softer finish, but also helps to prevent streaking with your glass towels. I have used vinegar as a rinse agent for all of our laundry for several years now. It should also be noted that the vinegar I refer to is the 5% white vinegar as opposed to apple cider vinegar (apples do not contain acetic acid), 10% and 20% each of which have their own unique uses, household and garden.

Acetic acid is a byproduct through the fermentation of sugars and starches transforming them into alcohol then ultimately into acetic acid..

Nitpicking is what kills forums. The information I`ve given is correct. The miss information is an interpretation on your part.

BobbyG

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Nitpicking is what kills forums. The information I`ve given is correct. The miss information is an interpretation on your part.
    This is so true and this is the first I`ve seen it here - you can absolutely see what bobby was trying to do here and someone has to show they are a big-dog-big-bang-type and derail the information session...sad and ridiculous.

Lucky I`m not a mod here, this whole thing would be pruned/removed.....and usually is on the forum board I own...
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

What I failed to do mwtaco, was to copy the post that most of this reply was directed at and it wasn`t you, my apology.
    No worries, Bobby G. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Not here for drama, just to have fun. Thanks again for the awesome tip. May expand its use to my regular laundry

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

The first sentence in my reply pertained to your comment regarding critic acid vs acetic acid.

Acetic acid is a byproduct through the fermentation of sugars and starches transforming them into alcohol then ultimately into acetic acid..

Calm down, you got in such a hurry to argue your point, you obviously didn`t read my post.

Oh, and to again clarify...vinegar comes in more dilutions than 5%. I have 10% and 20% vinegar on hand for purposes other than laundry.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I use rice vinegar.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information