Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Wet Diamond Cure Time?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Blackfire Wet Diamond cures extremely fast in most climates and conditions. It has a proprietary polymer drying powder (which is why you might get a fine dust in some situations on some paints) as wells the Polycharger catalyst. The goal with the sealant was to create a product that is super easy to use and super forgiving of application "errors".

As soon as the product is spread on the panel with just minor agitation it begins to cure, which is why it can be wiped off wet. Now if you where to apply BFWD, or any sealant (which relies on chemical reactions) in extreme climate (super humidity or cold temperatures) you can dramatically slow down the curing. The same if there is a lot of oil or other contaminants on the surface.

In most conditions on a well prepped and perfectly clean surface BFWD is going to be mostly cured by the time it hazes, 10-15 minutes. For numbers sake (only) let`s say it is 80% cured, as in 80 percent of the active product has cross-linked at least 80% of the way. At this point you could apply a second coat with out disturbing the initial coat too much. However if you goal is to get the maximum benefit from each coat, then you want to wait as long as you reasonably can.

In most conditions, BFWD should achieve 100% curing in under an hour. However in extreme climates combined with over application it could conceivably take 12-24 hours.
    This is good news!
    Living the Dream!

Post Thanks / Like

I just pulled out my instruction sheet and it says to wait at least 8 hours or overnight. So much for instructions.

So, if the cure time is far less than stated on the instruction sheet, is it safe to apply Midnight Sun in an hour after BFWD?

Let`s say it`s 75 degrees, 40% humidity. I guess that may be considered "ideal" climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    I just pulled out my instruction sheet and it says to wait at least 8 hours or overnight. So much for instructions.

So, if the cure time is far less than stated on the instruction sheet, is it safe to apply Midnight Sun in an hour after BFWD?

Let`s say it`s 75 degrees, 40% humidity. I guess that may be considered "ideal" climate.
    If you want to be 100% sure follow the instructions. They are written for maximum benefit in pretty much every climate and condition. If you want to live on the edge go for it, but if you don`t get maximum benefit I would start with that being the reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd
    Can you detail the steps and products from claying to Wet Ice over Fire. I read the
    article in TID but can no longer find it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish for many years. I have always applied product to sections of my car as per directions on the container. For example, I apply product to hood, roof, and deck lid then immediately buff off product. Are their members that use Blackfire Wet Diamond that believe they get a better shine, durability, or both by leaving the product on the paint surface for a longer period of time before removing the product? As far as how long you should wait before adding a second coat, I have always been told to wait eight hours, but can`t remember where I got that information. Best of luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This isn`t related to BFWD`s cure time, but it sure does look good on my car right now. I have BFWD on topped with Pinnacle Souveran. Glossy!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any pictures of your ride?
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like what I am looking for on my vehicles, how does it seem to hold up through harsh winters?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information