Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating

Hello all. So this past summer I applied Blackfire pro ceramic coating to my Infiniti. My process was wash, chemical decon (Gyeon Iron Remover), clay, polish with M205 and a GG6, prep wipe down, and I applied the coating. I only applied 1 coat and I`ve sort of felt guilty about doing so ever since. I went into it with all intentions of doing 2 coats to ensure complete coverage and durability but the weekend sort of got away from me and I ran out of time. Anyways, winter is now on the horizon and with this being my daily driver I really want to make sure it`s protected. I do wash it regularly with Blackfires coating wash and I have applied Blackfire Si02 spray every 2nd or 3rd wash. But I have noticed a very slight decrease in water behavior, especially on vertical panels. So my question is should I apply another coat of the coating? And if so, what should my process be? Would it be acceptable to just wash (possibly with reset or similar), spot clay, prep wipe down, and apply another coat? Is polishing a must to remove the existing layer? Or since it`s the same product should I be okay? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating

First, one coat should last a while, especially with your regular application of the SiO2 spray. But with that regular application of SiO2 spray, that is likely what is driving the water behavior at this point.

I’d recommend a decontamination wash with an iron remover and the strongest (coating-safe) wash you have.

I wouldn’t recommend clay as that would likely mar the paint and/or coating.

And I also wouldn’t try another layer of ceramic coating without a polish as you likely have some SiO2 spray that would interfere with another layer of ceramic coating. The only way to ensure you’re putting on a bare coating is to polish again but then you’re back to no coating and you;d need to put an additional 2 coats if you want 2 layers.

Really I’d suggest doing a decon wash and then continue with the way you’re going. But the SiO2 spray is likely what is providing the water behavior with regular application.
    Likes 06vrss, Bobh591 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    Hello all. So this past summer I applied Blackfire pro ceramic coating to my Infiniti. My process was wash, chemical decon (Gyeon Iron Remover), clay, polish with M205 and a GG6, prep wipe down, and I applied the coating. I only applied 1 coat and I`ve sort of felt guilty about doing so ever since. I went into it with all intentions of doing 2 coats to ensure complete coverage and durability but the weekend sort of got away from me and I ran out of time. Anyways, winter is now on the horizon and with this being my daily driver I really want to make sure it`s protected. I do wash it regularly with Blackfires coating wash and I have applied Blackfire Si02 spray every 2nd or 3rd wash. But I have noticed a very slight decrease in water behavior, especially on vertical panels. So my question is should I apply another coat of the coating? And if so, what should my process be? Would it be acceptable to just wash (possibly with reset or similar), spot clay, prep wipe down, and apply another coat? Is polishing a must to remove the existing layer? Or since it`s the same product should I be okay? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I’m not sure if this a option with BF coating. I have topped up coatings with Gyeon CanCoat before.

I would try a decontamination wash with a Alkaline soap. Your coating may not be failing but masked by so sio2 spray. Should not be failing this soon.

Once a month is more than enough and I’d say 2 times topped every 3 months.

For decon wash I use Mckee’s coating prep soap (alkaline) but any “strip” soap should do. I foam cannon with it, let dwell then rinse.

Use an Iron remover let dwell then rinse.

Follow up with the Alky soap in a contact wash. This usually will bring back performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes johnboy, 06vrss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I am applying the Si02 spray too often and it is masking the coating. Is this what you`re suggesting? My thought was that the spray would improve water behavior or at least maintain it. Is there a product that can be used as a drying aid, provides good hydrophobic properties, and can be used after every wash?

Post Thanks / Like

What type of weather conditions has the coating been through? Also what type of soap are you using?

The blackfire coating is a one layer coating with the second being optional but not required. The thing about claying is that it induces marring and the way to fix that is polishing which will remove the coating.

I recently did the following method on my dad`s car to cleanse the coating and top up with a spray coating. You could try this method and see if it helps out.

Iron remover
    Rinse
    Foam with an alkaline wash - I used Glassparency S1 but something like CarPro Lift, Gtechniq W4 will work. Keep in mind that these all come to a pH of 7 once they are mixed with water.
    Wash with CarPro Reset
    Rinse
    Optimum MDR on a damp microfiber and going over the entire painted surface
    Rinse
    Wash with CarPro Reset
    At this point you can check the behavior of the coating to see if it has been revived.
    Blow dry and I used a spray coating. The idea of using CanCoat is a good option. Another option is something like the Adams graphene spray coating.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes 06vrss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I am applying the Si02 spray too often and it is masking the coating. Is this what you`re suggesting? My thought was that the spray would improve water behavior or at least maintain it. Is there a product that can be used as a drying aid, provides good hydrophobic properties, and can be used after every wash?
    So most think a coating will take the properties of what’s on top. I’ve seen different with CQUK3. But i top everymonth at most. With as much as your using I definitely think clogging could be your issue.

Spray on sealants don’t have the same performance. If you wanna use something after most washes try a sio2 QD like Griots Ceramic SpeedShine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information