Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire SiO2 Wheel Seal

The new Blackfire SiO2 Wheel Seal looks like a good product, but why would I use it over spray-on, walk-away Sonax Rim Shield?

I`ve used and like Rim Shield. I used it every two to three weeks and didn`t have to use anything but regular car wash soap to clean my wheels.

I hate not to try the new Blackfire product, but I remember using Detailer`s Pro Series Wheel Cleaner paste to clean my wheels and it took over an hour to apply the thin coat, let haze, and then wipe clean. This process requires good light, too, unlike the simple spray-on product.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire SiO2 Wheel Seal

With the time and effort involve.... seems better to just get a coating on their

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Jaddie- Sounds to me like you might oughta just stick with the Sonax.

[Original post DELETED]

To put it nicely, the ads you linked don`t make a positive impression on me at all, certainly not the BF one.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same thing about BF Wheel Seal. Why take all the time to apply BF paste when a quick spray will give you 3 months protection? I always hated Poor Boys Wheel Sealant, it took so long to apply and two coats were required. If you put it on too heavy it was hell getting off and applying it to some thin spoked wheels was infuriating. I won’t be buying BF Wheel Seal for sure.
    Likes bobfic liked this post
    Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d use whatever you currently have for wheels. If you have a coating use that. I don`t buy into the dedicated wheel product hype.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Rim Shield is so easy. Application takes about three minutes. No sweat.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Hydro Blue (or similar), Rim Shield or Wheel coating. This product seems obsolete in 2019, but maybe it has extreme protection capabilities for those few months it’s on... not that I’ll ever find out.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Hydr02 or Gyeon wetcoat is so damn easy I don’t think I’m up for anything new for a long time for wheels. In addition, the spray-on, hose off procedure puts the seal way down in the lugs, somewhere that I don’t want to spend a lot of time with aq-tip, etc....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    .., the spray-on, hose off procedure puts the seal way down in the lugs, somewhere that I don’t want to spend a lot of time with aq-tip, etc....
    That`s one of the things I was wondering about, and an area that wasn`t addressed in the product-hype videos. I`ll add that even with coatings I have to use swabs/etc. to clean the deeper recesses anyhow.

How do you keep spray-on products off of other areas? I always get overspray when I use stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I`d use whatever you currently have for wheels. If you have a coating use that. I don`t buy into the dedicated wheel product hype.
    I had some really high hopes on that product. It really didn`t do anything for me. I`ve tried spraying a little, to a little bit more. And I could never get my wheels to shine. Very disappointed for the amount of money that you pay for that can.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Blackfire product is very similar to Poor Boys wheel sealant, even in color. I`ve had good success with the Poor Boys, but the wheels on my Tundra are not very complex. I still like the MCKees Wheel coating (spray) better. I get good durability, and it`s super easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

How long does Sonax Rim Shield last. I hope it does not have to applied after every wash.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

How do you keep spray-on products off of other areas? I always get overspray when I use stuff like that.
    When sprayed on wheels I’ve never had it splatter. But I won’t use it on paint because of that… It’s just easier if you direct the water spray from a downward angle, any splatter goes on the ground .......I did a whole write up with pics on the corvette forum:

https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...al-wheels.html
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

glen e- I guess we just go about this differently...not flaming or anything, and I did check out your link, just don`t think that approach would work for me. I`d still have to get behind the spokes and do all the other such areas the old way anyhow.

Once you get the sealant on, you no longer need Wheel Cleaners/etc. right? Do you still need (regular) shampoo? Even with OptiCoat I still had to clean them manually, couldn`t just do some kind of touchless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s one of the things I was wondering about, and an area that wasn`t addressed in the product-hype videos. I`ll add that even with coatings I have to use swabs/etc. to clean the deeper recesses anyhow.

It`s not easy to avoid overspray. But most you can spray in a damp mf applicator sponge and wipe in the product around areas you don`t want it on. Then you spray it off with the PW so you have the water flow going away from the area you don`t want it on. Then if this is not possible to do and you have many areas where you don`t want it on. Then it`s just not a product for you. But these products has an incredible lubrication so no problems with wipe it on the paint. On the first application of a bare paint I would even recommend to wipe it in and PW it off. To get the most even application of it. Or if you want a more stout application of it I wipe it in then too. Have used it on most surfaces and it works great. Try to avoid the windshield though. But to avoid parts in wheel wells when you apply it on the wheels is hard if not impossible to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information