Post Thanks / Like

I am excited to try out the new ceramic coating !

I just ordered the new ceramic coating from autopia with the recent sale. I just have 1 question... Can I top this with any other black fire product for added protection. The reason I ask is because i have a truck that has some paint issues and can use all of the protection I can get !

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am excited to try out the new ceramic coating !

I take it you got the new blackfire coating? If so then blackfire has their new SiO2 spray sealant. You can use it every couple months. For sure it is available at AGO. I have not checked Autopia.

If it is indeed the new blackfire coating let us know how it works out. I among other had a horrible experience with the previous formula.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I will let you know in a couple of weeks when I can dedicate a full day to detail the car properly. I am no professional, so hopefully it works out well.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, did you get a chance to apply the coating? I recently ordered the coating as well since it was on sale and similar in price to McKees paint coating. Did you get the coating booster or sio2 spray to top it with from blackfire? I haven`t seen any reviews of the product other than Mike Phillips writing on it. I`m curious if this is only meant for one base coat or multiple layers like other coatings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the new BF SIO2 Spray. It`s so easy to use!. I had Cure, I`ve tried Reload. This is the easiest. You cannot streak it. 10 minutes max to apply it to a sedan. Beads great. I use it on top of Mckees coating and CanCoat without issues.
    Likes PearTree, BudgetPlan1, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I applied this coating yesterday to a gold metallic color car. The weather was 85 degrees with 72% humidity, so not ideal. I tried every type of light source available and had an impossible time seeing the coating flash or finding high spots. I`ve watched and read a bunch on this, but I couldn`t see either. My process ended up being applying cross hatch style, wait 1 minute, then use two towels and buff off lightly. Brought the vehicle out in the sun and still couldn`t see high spots so idk.

Anyone know what I`m doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I applied this coating yesterday to a gold metallic color car. The weather was 85 degrees with 72% humidity, so not ideal. I tried every type of light source available and had an impossible time seeing the coating flash or finding high spots. I`ve watched and read a bunch on this, but I couldn`t see either. My process ended up being applying cross hatch style, wait 1 minute, then use two towels and buff off lightly. Brought the vehicle out in the sun and still couldn`t see high spots so idk.

Anyone know what I`m doing wrong?

It sounds like everything went well. You say you couldn’t see any high spots and that’s a good thing. In that type of humidity it probably flashed almost immediately, so you are safe wiping off quickly. Where I live the humidity is always high and I never wait longer than 30 seconds after applying any coating. If you can’t see it flash, it probably already has flashed. I’m not sure I understand your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    It sounds like everything went well. You say you couldn’t see any high spots and that’s a good thing. In that type of humidity it probably flashed almost immediately, so you are safe wiping off quickly. Where I live the humidity is always high and I never wait longer than 30 seconds after applying any coating. If you can’t see it flash, it probably already has flashed. I’m not sure I understand your problem.
    I guess the question is what exactly a high spot looks like because I`ve never seen a picture. That is reassuring that wiping off immediately is fine given I was concerned I wasn`t giving the coating ample time to cure and just wiping it away.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, high spots look very similar to a a sealant spot you forget to buff out with the only difference being the color. A missed sealant spot will haze to a white-ish color, while a high spot with a coating will remain clear-ish. To me, they often look textured compared to the surrounding surface around and they will look like a swipe or a smear. Good lighting is really important to finding them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    To me, high spots look very similar to a a sealant spot you forget to buff out with the only difference being the color. A missed sealant spot will haze to a white-ish color, while a high spot with a coating will remain clear-ish. To me, they often look textured compared to the surrounding surface around and they will look like a swipe or a smear. Good lighting is really important to finding them.
    Thanks for the reply! Good lighting is my biggest weakness right now. I have an astro p50sl light which worked great for showing defects in the paint, but it didn`t seem to show the high spots well. I`m looking at purchasing the detailing light off of griots, I think it`s a maxxeon, just waiting on a good sale. I can`t justify the price of a scangrip multimatch as I`m only a hobbyist and detail friends and families cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally took the time to use the new blackfire pro ceramic coating
    Here are my thoughts and pictures...

1. Prepped the car by using Iron X followed by a mix of 3d pink soap and dawn dish soap
    2. Clayed the car which seemed like a waste of time as the iron x did the majority of the work
    3. Polished with a griots 6 inch backing plate since my 5.5 backing plate melted the hook and loop in the middle making it worthless. I used Meguiars ultimate polish since I compounded the car last year along with a lake county blue pad which I used for 1/4 of the car then changed pads. Looking back I probably could have been more aggressive as there are still some deeper scratches left behind but there are no spiderwebs so I am happy overall.
    4. I wiped the car down 2 times with a 13-15 % IPA dilution
    5. I recently purchased a touch up applicator that I saw on a online video and it was AMAZING !!!! so much more precise than before and while the humidity and temps were high I had a few clogs but nothing that the pipe cleaner tool couldn`t handle.
    6. 1 final wipe down with a dry micofiber towel to clear away dust and then it was GO TIME !
    7. I put a semi wet stripe down the white application cloth wrapped in their applicator pad and while I do agree the applicator is small it still did the job fine. I used 2 of those white cloths per car as i noticed some fine dust sucking into the white cloth while applying the coating. I layed the product very thinly and added a few drops along the way and after 15 seconds or so wiped it off with a microfiber towel. The garage temp was close to 80-85 with high humidity so it appeared to haze rather quickly and my paranoia kicked in that I wouldn`t get it off so I may have buffed it early I don`t know. This is my first time doing this !
    After I completed the car I applied a 2nd coating again using the cross hatch method but this time I used more product. After 2 applications I feel I still have 2/3 of the bottle left so i don`t know if thats good or bad ?
    I only covered the painted sections not the lights which I wasn`t sure I should do so I left them alone.
    8.I inspected the car and there is only 1 spot where i can see that I didnt wipe off properly its near the roof mounted antenna and it looks like dry wax but it wont come off. I tried to clay it - nope so i may hand polish. It is really tough to see what is done or not done on a white car and while my lighting in the garage is bright its not exactly good for seeing spots you didnt buff. So i am open to suggestions on how to fix this. Again I am a hobbyist so I don`t need anything remotely fancy since I do this 2 times a year.

Final examination - Overall the product was very easy to apply and buff off I almost had to catch myself from buffing too aggressively as it wasnt necessary. It flashed quickly as far as I could tell but I also used a minute amount of product so that might also play a part in that which is why i did 2 coats. The shine of the car is slightly better than wax alone. Someone mentioned GLASSY and I would agree to that its more of a synthetic look to the paint and not a deep shine I feel sealants / waxes provide. But the white is bright ! To the touch its not super smooth and I would like to top coat it with some wax later but for now I am just letting it cure. For a newbie to coatings it seemed to go well almost too well compared to what i have read. We will see how it holds up as my wife has alot of traveling to do and the car will bake outside in the south carolina sun for weeks on end before she comes home and I can wash it. So I will keep you all updated.

If you have any thoughts please share them I am definitely a novice when it comes to this but still enjoy it !

Also I immediately washed the microfiber towels on warm with minimal laundry soap and extra rinse. then followed up with almost no soap and another wash on warm. Hopefully thats all they need and the coating didnt ruin the towels which i heard can happen.

Thanks for reading !
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

another pic hopefully i can get better pictures when the outdoor lighting is better
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information