Post Thanks / Like

Review: BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner

Greetings All.

A huge Thank You goes out to Meghan for supplying the product for review, and TheGuz for being the middle man in the process

Review of https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blac...l#.WuOhwojwaUk - Current price: 29.99 for 32oz (as of 04/27/18)

Some snipets from Autopia`s product page:

BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner is a remarkable finishing polish with a built-in glaze for the ultimate "wet-look." It visually reduces swirl marks while creating a deep gloss. It removes old waxes and sealants and cleans the paint`s surface to prep it for a shiny coat of wax or paint sealant. Used before a wax or sealant, BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner improves the gloss and clarity of the finish. Professionals and enthusiasts know that polishing is must for a show car shine!

BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner is a pre-wax cleanser, non-abrasive polish, and glaze combination. It wets the surface to create the illusion of the paint being under water. This hides minor swirls and scratches without removing any paint or clear coat. It "rounds-over" the leading edge of minor swirls which robs sunlight of a sharp edge to cause a reflection. While this visually reduces swirls, it does not remove them. This is a great product to use on a vehicle in good condition with very few swirls.

Background: With the somewhat recent revamp of the product line, I remembered that I hadn`t used some of the Blackfire (BF) products I had bought in the past. I`ve used some, but not all the stuff I bought. Got me curious to play with what I had, and mentioned to TheGuz of my plans to do my wife`s Kia (that will have to wait....can`t seem to get our schedules on track) with a plethora of BF products. He mentioned Paint Cleaner and sent it over for me to review.

BF Paint Cleaner (PC), as I understand, used to be the Gloss Enhancing Polish (GEP). Having both on hand, I couldn`t help but to compare!

Right of the bat, the biggest difference is the bottle size and shape. The PC is a 32oz bottle, and a basic cylindrical shape. The GEP is (forgot size! 16oz?) and has a curvy shape, for lack of better terms.

Labels are clearly different. I`m not a big fan of seeing cars on the labels of products, but the GEP label always caught my eye because of the colors. That`s just me. I do appreciate a simple label approach, however, and think the current label is clean. And I`m not sure why, but I *really* dig the horizontal white stripe near the bottom. Granted, it only tells me the product number, but I just really like it.

If I had to guess, the product didn`t change much, if at all. Could be a carryover from the prior gen. Not a bad thing.

On to the use of the product!!

Subject: 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 244k miles
    Temp: 64* F
    Humidity: 39% (low)
    Time Period: End of Feb, 2018
    Tool: Griot`s BOSS G15
    Pad: Meguiar`s (thin) Yellow Foam (polish pad)
    Prep: Coin-Op wash, clayed

The Jeep appears to have a matte white finish. It`s not. It`s just badly neglected from the prior owner. Who am I kidding? I`ve neglected it myself as well. It`s main purpose is to be the occasional fun, weekend getaway vehicle to take out to the 4x4 trails.

Here`s a couple of shots to show the condition of the paint.

After sectioning off a section of the hood, making passes til I thought the product was clear (hard to tell on white paint), I wiped off any residue. There didn`t appear to be too much, which was nice. Wipe off was easy. The finish left was smooth. The result:

Next one.....

Subject: 2008 Toyota Yaris - 162k miles
    Temp: 68* F
    Humidity: 59% (high)
    Time Period: Mid March, 2018
    Tool: Griot`s BOSS G15
    Pad: Buff n Shine White Flat Foam (polish pad)
    Prep: Waterless wash, clayed

NOTE: When I did the Yaris, So Cal was experiencing light rains. As such, it was actually raining at the time I did this car. The work was done inside the garage, but with the garage door left open.

Much like before, I did several passes until I thought I worked it enough. This time around, however, removal wasn`t as easy. Well, it was, but there appeared to be a slight film left behind. I thought maybe I worked it too long. So I added a bit more Paint Cleaner to the pad, did a section pass to wet the panel, and proceeded to wipe off. Okay, some improvement, but still a bit of a slight, hazy film left behind. I tried flipping towel, swapping towels. Huh. Weird. I finally reached for some Blackfire waterless wash, sprayed the panel, and voila. This did the trick. I`m still not sure what happened. The only variables that were changed (from using it on the Jeep) were the foam pad, a few degrees warmer, and humidity went from being on the low side, to being on the high side. Riddle me this, Batman! Anyway, the BF Waterless wiped off any remaining residue/film and I was more than pleasantly surprised with the resutls! On the Jeep, the paint was dull, scratched, oxidized, etc...The Yaris gets maintained more, waxed, etc. Yes, it has some light scratches and whatnot (it was also taken on a few off road trails!).

And a few shots that are of the "50/50" variety, from a few different angles

Final Thoughts: I like this stuff. And really am surprised by the results achieved. The older name for this was Gloss Enhancing Polish. I do believe it lived up to that name. What about Paint Cleaner? You betcha. The paint was cleaned! haha. Yeah. Cleaned and polished, and both panels I did looked much better than before!!!`

Thanks for reading!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner

Thanks for the review.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! How would this compare to something like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion?

I like the idea of a little glaze in this.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Hey, good review! I was wondering if it was different from the GEP. These days I really only use it on black bits in the wheelwells/engine compartment/etc.

1500Canoe- That`s a good Q about how GEP compares with PCL, and...heh heh, I`ve used `em both and am hard-pressed to give you a good answer!

The PCL (which was more aggressive/better back in the day) doesn`t leave the same sort of stuff behind, but it does leave a little something. I felt that the PCL left things "squeaky clean"-like as per an old-school "Paint Cleaner" despite whatever it leaves behind, which never really did any filling for me.

The GEP was more like "OK, this is a Paint Cleaner that has some sealant-friendly glaze in it and can do a *tiny bit* of filling" and would do *more* of that with additional applications/coats if I was gentle enough to not just strip away the previous one. I`ve toyed with the idea of trying this under FK1000P, and would try it if I didn`t have other stuff (no longer on the market) that I like better.

(Of interest only to Detailing Trivia buffs, the older version of GEP was considerably more aggressive, could even do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Thanks for the review.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500canoe View Post
    Thanks for the review! How would this compare to something like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion?

I like the idea of a little glaze in this.

You guys are welcome.

I haven`t tried Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. I may have some on the shelf, though. I`ll have to check. From the description of PCL, it sounds quite similar to Blackfire`s Paint Cleaner, though. Accumulator seems to think so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    JustJesus- Hey, good review! I was wondering if it was different from the GEP. These days I really only use it on black bits in the wheelwells/engine compartment/etc.

1500Canoe- That`s a good Q about how GEP compares with PCL, and...heh heh, I`ve used `em both and am hard-pressed to give you a good answer!

The PCL (which was more aggressive/better back in the day) doesn`t leave the same sort of stuff behind, but it does leave a little something. I felt that the PCL left things "squeaky clean"-like as per an old-school "Paint Cleaner" despite whatever it leaves behind, which never really did any filling for me.

The GEP was more like "OK, this is a Paint Cleaner that has some sealant-friendly glaze in it and can do a *tiny bit* of filling" and would do *more* of that with additional applications/coats if I was gentle enough to not just strip away the previous one. I`ve toyed with the idea of trying this under FK1000P, and would try it if I didn`t have other stuff (no longer on the market) that I like better.

(Of interest only to Detailing Trivia buffs, the older version of GEP was considerably more aggressive, could even do
    Thanks Accumulator! Interesting use for the stuff Do you apply it to the wheelwells with a MF towel?

I like how you put it, with the GEP. And under FK1000p sounds like a good idea. I`ve had it under BF`s sealant and Midnight Sun combo for about 4 months (on wife`s Kia`s tailgate). Seems to be holding up okay.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Pinnacle PCL is closest to Zymol`s HD Cleanse.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Do you apply it to the wheelwells with a MF towel?
    When applying to the stuff I`ve used it on I probably use cotton more often, if only to avoid trashing a decent MF. I use it on black oxide/paint stuff like brackets that are in sorta bad shape. E.g., I used it on the (slightly surface-rusted) brake drums of the Mazda minivan, but the drums on the Tahoe are nicer than that. It`s not something I use once/year or anything like that...I could get by fine without it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this review. I`ve been looking for a new paintwork cleaner to try. At less than $1 per ounce, the BF product costs less than P21S Paintwork Cleanser, which also works great, AND fills a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

When applying to the stuff I`ve used it on I probably use cotton more often, if only to avoid trashing a decent MF. I use it on black oxide/paint stuff like brackets that are in sorta bad shape. E.g., I used it on the (slightly surface-rusted) brake drums of the Mazda minivan, but the drums on the Tahoe are nicer than that. It`s not something I use once/year or anything like that...I could get by fine without it.
    Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Thanks for this review. I`ve been looking for a new paintwork cleaner to try. At less than $1 per ounce, the BF product costs less than P21S Paintwork Cleanser, which also works great, AND fills a bit.
    You`re welcome. There are definitely some choices out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    ...P21S Paintwork Cleanser...also works great, AND fills a bit.
    For some reason that P21s GEPC is one product I simply *despise*. I didn`t like one single thing about it and threw it away. Heh heh, can`t recall anybody else hating on it, must`ve just been me again...

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, thanks for the laugh All the stuff I`ve tried with you spending my money, I`ve been happy with. So, I guess it can work with you NOT spending my money as well !!

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason that P21s GEPC is one product I simply *despise*. I didn`t like one single thing about it and threw it away. Heh heh, can`t recall anybody else hating on it, must`ve just been me again...
    It might be a little oily for a paint cleanser, but it works great for the way I work I guess. Some people hate Menzerna for the same reason, but I can`t fault it in any flavor except 1000.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. My beef with Menzerna was the heavy scent with FG400. Otherwise, I liked it just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, different people are gonna like different stuff. Never *really* know until you try it.

Thread Information