Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Equivalents to AMMO

Hey y`all! First time posting and long time user of Blackfire products. I`m currently based out of the San Diego area and OCD about my Chevy Colorado`s black paint (I decided to torment myself) and general cleanliness. Anyways, I am close to pulling the trigger on the AMMO paint regimen and reflex coat in order to satisfy the itch if anything, however I thought I`d reach out to the community for a Blackfire solution first. I think Larry has the right idea with adding layers of protection and, intuitively, his process makes a lot of sense however I`d like to stay within the Blackfire line due to the cost effectiveness compared to AMMO, my OCD, and the fact that I own a majority the line. Without getting into the weeds of the process, I currently use either the two bucket method with the shampoo or rinseless wash depending on the dirtiness of the truck then use a damp microfiber to dry the vehicle and finish with an application of the polymer spray and buff to a high shine with a microfiber. This is where AMMO NYC`s Hydrate comes in and Blackfire`s perceived gap is. Hydrate, in theory, combines my last two steps into one and may very well help prevent swirls. Hydrate works as a lube between the towel and paint to prevent/reduce swirls whilst still adding an additional layer of protection. Here is where my question rolls in, what Blackfire product or combination thereof will act like Hydrate? I`ve identified two close candidates in the Blackfire lineup; the polymer spray and rinseless wash in QD dilution. The polymer spray has very little lube with high polymer content (honestly feels like I`m putting DI water on the paint and wiping it off...) whereas the QD ratio of rinseless wash has high lubricity but lacks the additional polymers. I`m up in the air with the waterless wash, seems like a waste of money to me.... Currently toying with the idea of injecting wet diamond polymers from the polymer spray or crystal seal into my rinseless QD mixture to attempt to mimic Hydrate.

What are the community`s thoughts on a Blackfire equivalent to Hydrate? Get creative! Also, as a sidebar, I`m curious about your thoughts on a Blackfire version of Reflex, the not-a-real-coating coating? I think we`re SOL on this one.

Link to AMMO NYC

Heres my rudimentary chart of Blackfire equivalents to AMMO and the gaps I`ve identified: (omitted interior products FYSA)
    BLACKFIRE = (AMMO)
    Rinseless - diluted = (Boost)
    WD Shampoo = (Foam)
    ??? = (Reflex)
    WDAFPP = (Skin)
    MS Wax = (Creme)
    ??? = (Hydrate)
    MS Spray Wax = (Spit)
    TE Tire Gel = (Mud)
    TE Tire & Wheel Cleaner = (Plum)
    WD Shampoo = (Brute)

Wordy, I know, thanks for hanging in there!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Equivalents to AMMO

You can use midnight sun spray wax as a drying aid. It works very well.

Reflex is not really a true coating so I think you will be fine with WDAFPP. If the blackfire coating was actually good you could invest in that. But don`t waste your money on that unless you want to curse yourself to death due to how horrible it is to use.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes woodsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The coating is very hit or miss some swear by it some chucked it after messing with it the first time. It works very well if your application goes well. It`s the application that can have issues. There are much friendlier application coatings

Nothing wrong with blackfire. Have you thought of running the same thoughts with Wolfgang and seeing if the cost was similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You can use midnight sun spray wax as a drying aid. It works very well.
    Tracking. I`m trying avoid carnuba as I want the look a sealant vice carnuba makes. Also, hydrate is polymer based vice carnuba product so it plays well with Skin. Although, the Spray Wax is said to contain the same polymers along with the carnuba....maybe I`ll just have to experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

Nothing wrong with blackfire. Have you thought of running the same thoughts with Wolfgang and seeing if the cost was similar.
    No. Like I said my OCD would kill my bank account if I had indies and twosomes from any company including Wolfgang that and I`d be looking at the same types of products from Wolfgang anyways. That COA only circumvents the posed issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire has a similar product in Wet Diamond Polymer Spray.
    Instead of Reflex I would recommend Wet Finish All-Paint Protection.
    These were designed to work together so they would be the perfect combo for what you are looking for.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you`re getting at; I`m also a big fan of Larry`s drying method. I`m currently using Wolfgang Uber as my damp-towel drying aid so I don`t think you can go wrong with Blackfire rinseless at QD ratio. I wouldn`t get too caught up on the "layers" thing outside of his line. If you feel your car isn`t cleaning up like it should then you can just add another coat of sealant! There`s no rule that says you can`t put 3, 4, 5 coats of sealant on per year. If it really bothers you, I`d take Paul`s suggestion and just "top up" with the polymer spray once a month or so.

Thread Information