Post Thanks / Like

what am i missing

hey guys I just bought a bottle of blackfire,wet diamond paint protect. I used dishsoap to clean off my hood, then polished it with meguires ultimate polish, then applied a layer of the black fire with my meguires d/a at 3 speed. I applied for about a minute going over each pass 4 or 5 times. I let it sit now for about 5 min, then I buff it off with new meguires microfiber wipes. The look is exactly like it was befor, but the surface is not smooth like a fresh wax. am I missing something,, This is no better than polishing the paint and leaving it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what am i missing

clay/decontamination step. ipa wipe before applying sealant

also when applying sealant. only needs a single pass. maybe needs to cure longer then 5 minutes. possible 10-20 minutes depending on temperature and humidity
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

wash > clay > polish > ipa wipe > sealant. in that order

Post Thanks / Like

Way too many passes to apply an LSP. You`re going for coverage, not working the product in. Only need 1-2 quick passes.

sealants aren`t like waxes, they can take upwards of 30-45 mins before being ready to wipe off.

also, megs ultimate polish, if I`m not mistaken, is loaded with fillers and oils, which are left behind on the surface. I`m sure this doesn`t play well AT ALL with BFWD. That along with the excessive work time when applying is probably the main reason you got poor results.

If if you want a product like ultimate polish but are insistent on using BFWD (and who wouldn`t want to use it?), I would recommend you swap out the ultimate polish for Blackfires gloss enhancing polish. It`s the same thing but it`s made to play nice with BFWD. I used that combo on my sonic when I first bought it and the results were nothing short of stunning! You could also skip the IPA wipe and go straight from polish to LSP since the GEP will work as somewhat of a primer for the BFWD
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs, Red Orc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also... Skip the dish soap. Get yourself an actual car wash soap and leave the dawn for the dishes. If you want an explanation why, do some searching
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

hum some great tips, I washed car, micro dried, clay bared car, micro dried, polished car, micro wiped, then applied b.fire.. so prep was ok just way to much time with the d/a on the product.. ok I will strip with dishsoap and try again...

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by instalher View Post
    hum some great tips, I washed car, micro dried, clay bared car, micro dried, polished car, micro wiped, then applied b.fire.. so prep was ok just way to much time with the d/a on the product.. ok I will strip with dishsoap and try again...
    How did it look and feel after you did your clay bar and polish work ?
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    How did it look and feel after you did your clay bar and polish work ?
    DanF
    car looks great, but I want a more vibrant deep wet look, and right now iam just using meguires pro stuff. but after seeing the results of the blackfire, not impressed. for the price I was expecting, more.. I cleaned off the area I first tried, then I polished again, re applied the blackfire, this time the rotary setting was on 3 and I just applied it with two even passes, left it for 20 min then wiped it off. No difference from when I started, zero, and dosent matter what the machine says for depth, if my eye says its the same, then its the same.. so I will try applying 2 more layer of the blackfire, and see how much detail that will give me. If that is the same, then I will try adding a coat or two of the blackfire wax. I have the meguires ultimate wax but I think that one is a man made wax so it wont bond properly with the blackfire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by instalher View Post
    The look is exactly like it was befor, but the surface is not smooth like a fresh wax. am I missing something
    so is the paint not smooth to the touch? or not look smooth? im trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish so we can help you better.

also what kind of year, make, model and color?

what type of pad and color are you using for sealant applying?
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Somethings definitely not right here... Just need to figure out what. BFWD is really slick and leaves a VERY noticeable shine behind. If anything, you should be able to feel the slickness.

Did you polish with the megs ultimate polish again? Read my previous post, the BFWD may not be properly bonding to the oils/fillers left behind by the polish. These will need to be stripped with an IPA wipe down before trying to apply the sealant.

If you`re set on using the megs polish, and won`t do an ipa wipe, then go with the megs ultimate wax instead of the BFWD. Stick within that product line since they were all made to work with each other.

Lastly. How is the consistency of the BFWD? It should be more creamy than watery. I had a bottle I let sit for too long and it separated and was coming out very thin, like water. Took some VERY VIGOROUS shaking to get it to mix back up. Make sure you are shaking the bottle really well. And when I say shake, I mean it took me a good 5 minutes to get everything to finally mix back together.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes +1 on gep before wdafpp...its a must for synergistic compatibility (man i love when i can say that-haha)

Gep + wdafpp

Im going to add midnight sun later today..i will check beading of the wet Diamond for you and post up later today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Thread Information