Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Crystal coat, Single stage?????

So I did a hood on my buddies Grand National and to be quite frank this coating either doesn`t like SS or it truly is a pita. After the experience I had today I will NEVER use this coating again. It forced me to buff it off so hard I actually left tracers in the paint after doing a 3 step jewel messing up my hard work. At this point, stick with Quartz or opti-coat, thats what they do and they do it well. The only nice thing about BFCC was the flash, which was fast and very visible, other then that, there was no were near the darkening effect of CQ UK and the removal was a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Crystal coat, Single stage?????

What did it do or not do? I have no experience with this on a SS paint but I was a coating newb when I used this the first time, as in my very first coating experience. I put it on a tri-coat pearl paint it was simple as pie and looks great.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    What did it do or not do? I have no experience with this on a SS paint but I was a coating newb when I used this the first time, as in my very first coating experience. I put it on a tri-coat pearl paint it was simple as pie and looks great.
    It flashed very fast and to remove/buff it was rediculously tough to get off/perfect to the point I actually had to use a da and a jeweling pad to get it level, then hand buff the fine trace leftovers. I actually hand buffed it so hard to remove the access it left scratches in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Any unusual circumstances like temp or humidity?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

its probably the single stage paint messing with it/you, Single stage paint can be very absorptive I even find sealants some times bit finicky on it. I find more oily waxes seem to work easier on them.
    Likes tropicsteve, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Any unusual circumstances like temp or humidity?
    No, in a body shop control environment. Zero external factors and no user error either. I`ve done tons of coatings and never had an experience like this, very disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    its probably the single stage paint messing with it/you, Single stage paint can be very absorptive I even find sealants some times bit finicky on it. I find more oily waxes seem to work easier on them.
    I`m going to see how CQUK handles this, I highly doubt it will be the same. I ran some of the BF on resprayed belair with TONS of clear and had an identical experience. I`m pulling hard for CQ at this point.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only other possibility is the shelf life of the product. I know I personally had a bottle of BFCC that was open for a few months and I went to use it and it was like gorilla glue on the paint. I informed Nick of the situation and he sent me a new bottle and all was good. I know others have had this issue as well.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Considering I got this on a cyber week deal, I doubt that.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Crystal coat, Single stage?????

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Considering I got this on a cyber week deal, I doubt that.
    I recently used it in a SS white (new Honda city) and it was difficult to work with than the same gray clear coated city I crystal coated a week earlier (which was difficult too but not as much as the SS). This was 4 months after I had re opened the bottle.
    The first time I used it and it gave a great working time. Now it was flashing so quick that even going back in a direction it felt dry. It was difficult to remove too.
    It`s quite possible the current stock (even though opened for the first time) may have aged similar to its same production opened bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad to have found this thread, I was worried I was the reason using this on my Trans Am was not working out.
    It was exactly like trying to wipe off glue from my paint. I received a kit for my Birthday (September) opened everything for the first time and had nothing but troubles, I watched videos on how to apply and it did not work anything like the videos of wipe on and level then lightly buff off. I was certain it was ruining my paint correction efforts.
    It turned out beautiful the next day seeing everything in the sunshine which made me super happy, but I will not try that stuff again .
    That was September of last year and so far the results are still very satisfactory, I`m just bummed that it is so hard to work with.
    I wanted to coat my New 2017 50TH Anniversary Camaro SS and my wife`s Black GMC All Terrain truck.
    A.K.A. Redsscamaroboy:
    98 Red/Grey Ram Air T/A 6 spd TT2`s
    17 50TH Anniversary Camaro SS

Thread Information