Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: BlackFire Crystal Coat Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    What would your thoughts be for layering it (perhaps just a single panel to see how the looks improve and possibly help on with the durability). The product description on the AG does not make a mention of layering this product though compared to other quartz coating (like cquartz, that provides an hour window and mentions layering helps increase mar resistance). Perhaps just a panel wipe on one of the important panels (after you give it a wash) ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sealthedeal View Post
    What would your thoughts be for layering it (perhaps just a single panel to see how the looks improve and possibly help on with the durability). The product description on the AG does not make a mention of layering this product though compared to other quartz coating (like cquartz, that provides an hour window and mentions layering helps increase mar resistance). Perhaps just a panel wipe on one of the important panels (after you give it a wash) ?
    Just posted this on my thread posted on AGO.

I do not see any problem with adding another layer within 30-60 minutes after the first layer.

The problem with quartz based coatings such as the BlackFire, CQuartz, and others is that they form an incredibly slick glass like surface and are non-porus. If you are going to add another coat it is suggested that is applied within an hour otherwise it may not properly bond to itself.

Imagine if you will, you take your car in for paint repair. In order for the new paint to be applied and bond correctly the surface needs to be scuffed for the paint to stick. If not, you will run into problems as the paint being laid down will not properly bond, begin to sag after a coat or two, and have runs. After a while that paint will being to flake off as it never had a proper foundation to grab onto.

Now, a coating won`t behave exactly like the above paint job but it still needs a prepped surface to adhere to otherwise it will prematurely fail. What I would do is "scuff" the surface in the way of a finishing polish such as SF4000, Wolfgang FG, M205 etc with a finishing pad to make sure it is ready for application. With the surface being "scuffed" now it is ready for application of your new product. If you want to lay down a second coat make sure it is applied within 30-60 minutes. Not sooner. You want to give the product time to flash and adhere without interfering during this time.

This method will apply to all Coatings regardless of chemical makeup IMO.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    Just posted this on my thread posted on AGO.

I do not see any problem with adding another layer within 30-60 minutes after the first layer.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    I asked they Autopia Facebook page (that I believe Ray handles) and he said although layering is not recommended but can be done in 12-24 hours.
    That to me however seems like a time that coating has set in and may not like it`s own layer. So layering early makes sense to me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sealthedeal View Post
    but can be done in 12-24 hours.
    Nope. Not even a little bit.

You can layer a coating in fact it should be layered within an hour while the surface is still tacky. This will ensure that it has something to stick to. Think about it, Coatings are designed in a way nothing will stick to it including themselves. Wait 12-24 and try applying another layer. The fresh product being applied will just bead up on the surface.

That to me however seems like a time that coating has set in and may not like it`s own layer. So layering early makes sense to me as well.
    Exactly.
    Practice doesnt make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack" (aka Mike)

Post Thanks / Like

Is it ok to use BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal and then use the crystal coat or either use the less expensive Crystal Seal Paint Sealant, will there be noticeable difference between the 2 products?
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Is it ok to use BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal and then use the crystal coat or either use the less expensive Crystal Seal Paint Sealant, will there be noticeable difference between the 2 products?
    Blackfire TPS topped with Crystal Seal is a great combo. CS is so easy to use that you could do the whole car in 10 mins. Durability is pretty decent as well.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I was told not to add a 2nd coat
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

This has just been added to my 4th blackfire product that ain`t available to us in the uk yet!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information