Post Thanks / Like

BF Crystal Coating questions

I`m a newbie when it comes to coatings 9i have only applied wax or sealant). i have a couple of questions before ordering the coating. I`m assuming that you can tell the coating has reached its time limit by the lack of shine and lack of beading.

1) When removing it with a polish, how do you know when you have removed it all?
    2) How abrasive of a polish do you need? will clay and a paint cleaner be sufficient?

I always read about initial application but never about removing and reapplying. If the initial application is easy but reapplying or prepping to try something else is a PITA, then i nee to reconsider. i will be applying it to a DD (gold colored Taco) that is parked outside about half the time.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BF Crystal Coating questions

Actually as far as the lack of shine/beading is more probably due to the coating getting crapped up. A good decon wash will usually restore it. If not then it`s time to polish and re do
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my crystal coat in last night and it will be my first coating, I was wondering the same thing, the only thing I can think of would be to get a paint meter, take measurements of the paint before coating, then after coating and if you were to ever remove you would want to get back to the original reading to ensure the coating is removed? Maybe there is another secret to this but not that I can think of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VBPXer View Post
    I just got my crystal coat in last night and it will be my first coating, I was wondering the same thing, the only thing I can think of would be to get a paint meter, take measurements of the paint before coating, then after coating and if you were to ever remove you would want to get back to the original reading to ensure the coating is removed? Maybe there is another secret to this but not that I can think of.
    IMHO

Don`t over think it
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes wdmaccord, Jsmooth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any light polish should remove it. Paint cleaner (Like BF GEP)? That I don`t know. Maybe if done with a DA but I would suspect at least something like M205 or SF4000 at the least. If it is like other quartz coating, clay won`t remove it, although it might diminish it somewhat. All we can do is wait and give the product time for people to start reporting when the coating is wearing off.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint cleaner will not remove it by itself. An abrasive polish will be needed.
    Likes wdmaccord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are two questions at the end of the post, so please read through to the end!

I applied the BF coating to the bumper and fender of my car (painted plastic like they all are now; did the rest of the car with the conventional BF sealant) and am very pleased. Process was to wash, clay, wipe down with BF waterless wash, Polish with the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, wipe down using the cleaner provided in the coating kit, and then to apply the coating using the supplied applicator.

Next, I applied to my wife`s Honda CRV (red) over the entire painted surface. It looks great, and for (about 5 weeks now) seems to be doing great - shine, beading, pollen and dirt do not seem to stick as easily. BUT -- on some panels, a close examination (get within about 12" of the paint) shows some rainbow streaking (like you would get with a crystal seal product that was overapplied).

As far as the coating though, is this streaking a sign of too much or too little product being applied? And am I correct in assuming I could clean and reapply to those panels using a process like my initial application?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpritchett View Post
    As far as the coating though, is this streaking a sign of too much or too little product being applied? And am I correct in assuming I could clean and reapply to those panels using a process like my initial application?
    Yeah those steaks are high spots and yes you can re-polish that panel and redo it the way that you first prepped. Then just check from multiple angles when you redo it to check for any high spots and give them a light buff.

Post Thanks / Like

if you catch the streaks early enough they my just wipe off but if the coating has a chance to dry or cure than a heavy polish or compound may be needed to remove it.
    Best to coat one panel at a time and inspect from numerous angles with lots of lighting!
    Remember the more you rub, the more chances of inflicting scratches or marring
    Robert DiTerlizzi
    Impressions fine automotive detailing
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Making Martin County shine - one car at a time

Thread Information