Post Thanks / Like

Help with Towel Choices and Process

So I ordered 2 new drying towels as my old one ares not working very well anymore probably because I used them to buff out wax.
    I heard these Dreadnought towels were good from a local shop so ordered 2 while they were on sale.
    https://a.co/d/bzlHgBh

Now that I hopefully have my drying towels squared away what do you recommend for removing wax? Specifically Turtlewax Hybrid Solutions Pro to The Max Wax with Graphene Liquid Wax. Something that will buff it without leaving behind fibers or haze. I had been applying it with just a small microfiber.

One more question. How do you wash your towels? Do you just throw them in the washer with regular detergent?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Towel Choices and Process

I really like THC 365. Its dual pile. The shorter pile for the first wipe and the second wipe with the medium pile side. They are relatively cheap in packs too.

I`ve been using 3D towel kleen for 5 years now. Seems to work just fine. I never used anything else. Towel kleen is a high value product. I use just 1 oz for small loads.

I`ve used towel kleen to wash regular cloths and it works great too.

Regarding the waxes your using you can also lightly damp your towel.
    Likes Spdfrk1990, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I really like THC 365.
    That sounds like some sort of gummy...I`m presuming you meant the TRC Edgeless 365 towel, which the OP can get from The Rag Company.
    Likes Spdfrk1990, Coatings=crack, Dan, LT4 liked this post
    Thanks noorth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I really like THC 365. Its dual pile. The shorter pile for the first wipe and the second wipe with the medium pile side. They are relatively cheap in packs too.

I`ve been using 3D towel kleen for 5 years now. Seems to work just fine. I never used anything else. Towel kleen is a high value product. I use just 1 oz for small loads.

I`ve used towel kleen to wash regular cloths and it works great too.

Regarding the waxes your using you can also lightly damp your towel.
    The TRC Edgeless 365 towel for removing wax then? I do sometimes use a damp towel but it can be difficult to buff that wax without streaks.

Ill try some of that towel kleen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That sounds like some sort of gummy...
    You beat me to that one
    Thanks noorth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spdfrk1990 View Post
    The TRC Edgeless 365 towel for removing wax then? I do sometimes use a damp towel but it can be difficult to buff that wax without streaks.

Ill try some of that towel kleen.
    Wonder why you`re getting streaks....generally I figure that`s from using way too much product (I can seldom see the LSP residue I`m buffing off, if I can I used way too much).

What`s the idea behind using a *damp* towel to buff wax? Not criticizing, just curious. I always fog the surface with my breath for a little moisture, but I`m careful to not overdo that and it seems like a damp towel would be really moist.

EDIT: Just FWIW, I basically have zero preference when it comes to my LSP-buffing MFs. Seems like I can use anything that I`d let touch paint, with no significant diffs between `em. And I mean from very plush to flat-weave/no-nap, they all basically work just fine. Maybe my uber-thin applications factor in...
    Likes Spdfrk1990 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the rag company 300gsm a little better for liquids the 365 are nice but I find I like the short pile for removing and long for buffing.

I like the 300’s best for removing and then follow up with a TRC everest. Best buffing towel I’ve used and I’ve used ALOT.

The Cobra Green MF from Autopia and Geek are nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Spdfrk1990 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Spdfrk1990- I`ve been thinking on this, and I wonder whether the damp buff-off towel might be responsible for the streaking. You ever notice it factoring in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Spdfrk1990- I`ve been thinking on this, and I wonder whether the damp buff-off towel might be responsible for the streaking. You ever notice it factoring in?
    I think the main reason was just a poor buffing towel. I will try again with better towels and report back.

Post Thanks / Like

So I was doing more research on washing my MF towels and I was also drying them with too much heat which is a bad for them apparently. Looking to purchase Towel Kleen or Rags to Riches on amazon for the detergent.

Do you keep towels that were used to wash wheels separate? I was always afraid of getting metal particles from the brake pads in the MF that wont come out and I wanted to make sure to never use those towels on the paint. I usually ended up just throwing them away but I need a better system to save on those if I can. I guess I can save them and wash them separately and then just have certain towels for wheels only. Could wash them by hand so if I only have a few I dont have to run the washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Spdfrk 1990- A few sorta-random thoughts follow, and I hope you post back soon about how you`ve solved all the issues

- I wonder where the "MFs are sensitive to dryer heat" thing came from. While you don`t want to melt `em, MFs can take a lot of heat with no problems, and if a normal cloths dryer is damaging them that dryer has some serious issues. I`ve had numerous MFs come with instructions to *BOIL* them before use (which is much higher heat than a dryer oughta produce), and I`ve dried some of mine on very high heat with zero problems.

I wonder whether anybody has actually experienced any MF damage from a hot cloths dryer...if so, maybe their output duct was clogged or something.

- Some of us (myself included) do much better with the MF-specific detergents, while others do fine with regular Persil. Rinse rinse rinse! And don`t use much detergent in the first place, IMO most people use way too much.

- FWIW, I don`t *wash* wheels with MFs, I use small sheepskin mitts and Boar`s Hair Brushes, both made for wheels. But yeah, if there`s any chance that something might be contaminated with abrasive stuff then I would keep them away from delicate surfaces like paint.

- I usually just let my soiled towels accumulate until I have a full wash load. Yeah, that can bite you so I`m not necessarily recommending that! If I see something really nasty on a towel I`ll pretreat it (which often cleans the nasty stuff off just fine). But a MF would have to be awfully contaminated with something really nasty before I`d just throw it away.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Thread Information