Post Thanks / Like

Weird etching on my wheels

Hi,

I`ve noticed this weird etching on my wheels (pictures posted). I`ve tried some light polish, and mothers metal polish but nothing seems to even touch it. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Weird etching on my wheels-wheel-etching.jpgWeird etching on my wheels-wheel-etching2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird etching on my wheels

It appears as if it is the beginning of the clear coat failing. Nothing to be done except refinish the wheels unfortunately.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, once it starts it creeps. Spent a couple days removing the clear and polishing mine.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks to me like salt getting under the clear. Do you live in the rust belt?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That looks to me like salt getting under the clear. Do you live in the rust belt?
    Or something similarly nasty. Once the finish gets compromised, if it`s not kept *VERY* well LSPed/coated/etc. stuff like salt finds its way to the bare aluminum, and you get what bcmike is asking about.

bcmike- Welcome to Autopia! Sorry that your first post results in bad-news responses, but sigh...that salt (or whatever it was) can really be destructive. Refinishing, or buying ones that`re already redone, is really the solution here...sorry to say

FWIW, refinished wheels from Wheels Tires and More dot com (something like that, forget what it is exactly..haven`t used them for years though) have always been OK when I got `em, and I`m *VERY* particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with everything mentioned so far. Those look just like the wheels on my wife`s car when the clearcoat starts to fail.

So far I`m 4 - 4 with machined wheels and clear coat failure. Like Accumulator mentions, they always seem to get some tiny/microscopic failure in the finish which leads to moisture and other nastiness getting between the wheel and he clear coat. From there it`s all down-hill. I hope to never own other vehicle finished like that, and I`ll certainly never buy a wheel like that on my own.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

IME it *is* possible to keep compromised-finish wheels OK, or at least I can keep them from getting worse (even despite continued winter/salty use), but it`s a bit of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    IME it *is* possible to keep compromised-finish wheels OK, or at least I can keep them from getting worse (even despite continued winter/salty use), but it`s a bit of work.
    What is your secret? From what I`ve experienced, it appears that once there is a compromise in the clearcoat, moisture seems to get between the clear and the metal surface causing it to bubble and spread.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    What is your secret? From what I`ve experienced, it appears that once there is a compromise in the clearcoat, moisture seems to get between the clear and the metal surface causing it to bubble and spread.
    I guess it`s just my, uhm...Autopian nature Seiously, all I do is polish them up as best I can and then keep `em (*very*) well-LSPed with FK1000P. This is my wife`s A8, which, yeah..has some curb-rash. They`re far from perfect, but they do stay OK enough that I`m not tempted to have them redone/replaced.

There`s some similar damage to the Tahoe`s winter wheels (take-offs from my old Yukon XLD, which I fitted with new ones) and those stay about the same (well, close enough for winter use) with just very frequent cleanings. That`s "very frequent" as in "if they get salty I do something quick/easy just to get the worst of it off. And yeah, that`s still a big PIA.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Thread Information