Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure Washer newbie

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of investing into a pressure washer. I do live in an apartment, but the nearest pay & spray is 30 minutes away, and not really feasible to go after hours. I was thinking of the Ryobi 1900 PSI RY1419MT unit. I already have the MTM Hydro pf22.2 foam cannon.

1. What specifically do I need to attach the foam cannon to the pressure washer?

2. Is the pressure washer gun and hose really a bad product - The gentleman from Obsessed Garage hated the stock gun and hose, but I don`t want to shell out $300 for his.

3. What specifically do I need to attach the pressure washer to a Mingle undercarriage sprayer.

4. Anyone currently living in an apartment, do you use a pressure washer or just always the pay & spray?

5. Any other general information/tips/ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure Washer newbie

I have a SunJoe SPX3001. I have it hooked up to a MTM PF22 foam cannon with a smaller orifice. I can get thick foam no problem. The biggest difference maker was the orifice. I should probably figure out the quick connect situation because I’m still screwing the wand and the canon on and off.

Post Thanks / Like

The only time you`ll need a pressure washer is after duck hunting season. I wouldn`t waste my money on that, not to mention the space that it will occupy in your apartment.

Buy another polisher instead

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ryobi and my mtm works just fine. As mentioned used smaller 1.1 oriface. Should come with it.

I bought an MTM Stubbie (SGS35) gun with QC’s for around $50 with quick connects.

Bought a 3/8 50ft flexzilla PW hose for about $30. And another $30 in quick connects to hook hose to gun to PW. All well worth it and all you’ll need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Britsdaddy, PoisonTheWell, Older liked this post
    Thanks Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I have a ryobi and my mtm works just fine. As mentioned used smaller 1.1 oriface. Should come with it.

I bought an MTM Stubbie (SGS35) gun with QC’s for around $50 with quick connects.

Bought a 3/8 50ft flexzilla PW hose for about $30. And another $30 in quick connects to hook hose to gun to PW. All well worth it and all you’ll need.

Thanks everyone! @Coatings=crack can you point me in the right direction where you got the Stubbie - the only ones I see are for $100+, the flexzilla hose and all the QC`s? Also, is it just a standard hose from my water source to the machine itself?

Furthermore, can you or someone clearly explain the whole different orfices/QC sizing and all? I`m totally lost. I get different machines make it different, but what am I specifically looking for to fit.

Is it worth getting a pressure washer at an apartment? I was going to connect it to my sink...I also have a buddy`s house I can use occasionally. I live in a high winter/salt area.

Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered looking into rinseless wash methods since you’re in an apartment? I’m not sure what your setup is, or how far a distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chas09 View Post
    Thanks everyone! @Coatings=crack can you point me in the right direction where you got the Stubbie - the only ones I see are for $100+, the flexzilla hose and all the QC`s? Also, is it just a standard hose from my water source to the machine itself?

Furthermore, can you or someone clearly explain the whole different orfices/QC sizing and all? I`m totally lost. I get different machines make it different, but what am I specifically looking for to fit.

Is it worth getting a pressure washer at an apartment? I was going to connect it to my sink...I also have a buddy`s house I can use occasionally. I live in a high winter/salt area.

Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I`d be leery to run a pressure washer off a connection to a sink. I`ve got the lil 1600psi/1.2 GPM Ryobi and it`s been a great pressure washer. I have noticed that it can be picky about the water supply - if it doesn`t get just the right feed I`ve had it where it will go into fits where it seems like it`s cavitating itself as though it hadn`t been bled out (but it had been). Only happens on one of my hose outlets from the house (and at my Wife`s folks place when I tried to loan it to her dad... *facepalm*).

In your shoes, I`d be researching cordless units that could feed out of a bucket. Look at a foaming pre-wash (I like the Griot`s Foaming Surface Wash, there are other options) you apply via a pump up foamer, then rinse with the cordless pressure washer to drop the grit off. Then proceed with a rinseless wash. (This is assuming the car is getting so dirty you couldn`t just go straight to a rinseless wash).

If you go conventional pressure washer, I guess it all depends on your budget on how you accessorize. I personally haven`t had all that much hate for the stock gun and hose on the Ryobi. Sure, eventually I`d love to upgrade to a shorter gun, but it`s not like you can`t use it how it comes. I use the Griot`s BOSS cannon with the 1.1mm orifice and have no issues getting good foam.
    I did get the Ryobi 35ft extension hose that I now use as the primary hose. That way (as mentioned) you can get all the way around the car without dragging the machine around. I find it works best to lay the hose out straight before you start, but once you get that done it`s fine.

Regarding your hose/fitting questions - Most electric pressure washers use M22 (Outer diameter)/M14 or M15(inner diameter) thread together fittings. Threaded on the outside, then the inner bore is smooth on the female side, male side has an o-ring that seals inside the female side). I think SunJoe is the M15, Ryobi is M14. You need to match that measurement to your machine when you get quick connects to save yourself having the thread the hose on each time. Again, perfect world I`d upgrade and use them, but it adds mere moments to setup/teardown for a hobbyist.

Somewhere on here is a megathread with a bunch of pressure washer info that covers accessorizing your basic electric pressure washer - EDIT, it`s here: https://www.autopia.org/forums/every...ressure+washer . I believe it covers the differences between orifice sizes and hose size (1/4 vs 3/8).

Otherwise, I`ll second other`s thoughts that given your situation I`d probably look at using that pressure washer money for other detailing supplies. I`d have a really solid LSP in place and perfect your rinseless game. Coatings=crack and others have had really good experiences with AMMO Frothe for a safe (pump) spray on foaming rinseless (or was that one waterless?) wash if you skip the pressure washer.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

After Detailing without one for *decades* I`ll *NEVER* wash without one again, and more than I would without the foamgun. Perfect way to get "the big stuff" off without touching and a major factor in my vehicles remaining marring-free indefinitely. No foam cannon/etc., I only use it for plain-water pre-rinsing (*NOT* for the "regular rinsing" for which I greatly prefer having *volume* over *pressure*.
    Likes tarm liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I`d be leery to run a pressure washer off a connection to a sink. I`ve got the lil 1600psi/1.2 GPM Ryobi and it`s been a great pressure washer. I have noticed that it can be picky about the water supply - if it doesn`t get just the right feed I`ve had it where it will go into fits where it seems like it`s cavitating itself as though it hadn`t been bled out (but it had been). Only happens on one of my hose outlets from the house (and at my Wife`s folks place when I tried to loan it to her dad... *facepalm*).

In your shoes, I`d be researching cordless units that could feed out of a bucket. Look at a foaming pre-wash (I like the Griot`s Foaming Surface Wash, there are other options) you apply via a pump up foamer, then rinse with the cordless pressure washer to drop the grit off. Then proceed with a rinseless wash. (This is assuming the car is getting so dirty you couldn`t just go straight to a rinseless wash).

If you go conventional pressure washer, I guess it all depends on your budget on how you accessorize. I personally haven`t had all that much hate for the stock gun and hose on the Ryobi. Sure, eventually I`d love to upgrade to a shorter gun, but it`s not like you can`t use it how it comes. I use the Griot`s BOSS cannon with the 1.1mm orifice and have no issues getting good foam.
    I did get the Ryobi 35ft extension hose that I now use as the primary hose. That way (as mentioned) you can get all the way around the car without dragging the machine around. I find it works best to lay the hose out straight before you start, but once you get that done it`s fine.

Regarding your hose/fitting questions - Most electric pressure washers use M22 (Outer diameter)/M14 or M15(inner diameter) thread together fittings. Threaded on the outside, then the inner bore is smooth on the female side, male side has an o-ring that seals inside the female side). I think SunJoe is the M15, Ryobi is M14. You need to match that measurement to your machine when you get quick connects to save yourself having the thread the hose on each time. Again, perfect world I`d upgrade and use them, but it adds mere moments to setup/teardown for a hobbyist.

Somewhere on here is a megathread with a bunch of pressure washer info that covers accessorizing your basic electric pressure washer - EDIT, it`s here: https://www.autopia.org/forums/every...ressure+washer . I believe it covers the differences between orifice sizes and hose size (1/4 vs 3/8).

Otherwise, I`ll second other`s thoughts that given your situation I`d probably look at using that pressure washer money for other detailing supplies. I`d have a really solid LSP in place and perfect your rinseless game. Coatings=crack and others have had really good experiences with AMMO Frothe for a safe (pump) spray on foaming rinseless (or was that one waterless?) wash if you skip the pressure washer.
    Yes Ammo frothe is nice but expensive initial investment up front.

I pretreat with a waterless (use Griots brilliant rinseless) let dwell 5 mins then go on with frothe.

Seen other use frothe for the pre treat before a rinseless...

Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of investing into a pressure washer. I do live in an apartment, but the nearest pay & spray is 30 minutes away, and not really feasible to go after hours. I was thinking of the Ryobi 1900 PSI RY1419MT unit. I already have the MTM Hydro pf22.2 foam cannon.

1. What specifically do I need to attach the foam cannon to the pressure washer?

2. Is the pressure washer gun and hose really a bad product - The gentleman from Obsessed Garage hated the stock gun and hose, but I don`t want to shell out $300 for his.

3. What specifically do I need to attach the pressure washer to a Mingle undercarriage sprayer.

4. Anyone currently living in an apartment, do you use a pressure washer or just always the pay & spray?

Thanks!

Well hello Chas09

This is what I picked up at HD, they had just about everything. Including the little PW that works great for me.
    Hope it helps.

Likes Stokdgs, Chas09 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Chas09 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Well hello Chas09

This is what I picked up at HD, they had just about everything. Including the little PW that works great for me.
    Hope it helps.

Thanks MaryB so much! Maybe I`m missing something, but what pressure washer did you pick up if I may ask? And do you use the MTM Hydro PF22.2 foam cannon?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MaryB so much! Maybe I`m missing something, but what pressure washer did you pick up if I may ask? And do you use the MTM Hydro PF22.2 foam cannon?

Thanks!
    Hi
    I have the 99$ Ryobi and the MTM 22 With a snub nose.
    After assembly I began to understand what I was looking at, I then replaced most of the smaller connections at AMZ. It took awhile tho.
    The QC are key and a couple good swivels.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone!

Thanks!
    I live in a condo and since I have a water tap and outlet right at the front door 20` from my parking spot. The only issue is working around the schedule of the neighbors who park in the adjacent spaces. Ultimately I just moved it over to my Mother`s house who I visit often enough and it gives me a chance to wash her car. I originally had the SunJoe with the short hose reel (too short) and it worked fine.

I ended up picking up an OG setup with Kranzle pump, Mosmatic short gun with wand and 75` of Kobrajet hose. Does it technically or practically wash the car better than the SunJoe, no. However not dragging the Sunjoe around with power cord, inlet water hose and pressure hose increased the user experience exponentially. Of course the water pump is better in everyway too but not as overwhelmingly better like having an upgraded hose/gun combo is.

I think OG has a breakdown of which PW are easier to upgrade to professional hoses, like Greenworks. I just can`t recall which other brands, SunJoe for example needs an adapter which is reason enough to get another brand that already has standard fittings.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    I live in a condo and since I have a water tap and outlet right at the front door 20` from my parking spot. The only issue is working around the schedule of the neighbors who park in the adjacent spaces. Ultimately I just moved it over to my Mother`s house who I visit often enough and it gives me a chance to wash her car. I originally had the SunJoe with the short hose reel (too short) and it worked fine.

I ended up picking up an OG setup with Kranzle pump, Mosmatic short gun with wand and 75` of Kobrajet hose. Does it technically or practically wash the car better than the SunJoe, no. However not dragging the Sunjoe around with power cord, inlet water hose and pressure hose increased the user experience exponentially. Of course the water pump is better in everyway too but not as overwhelmingly better like having an upgraded hose/gun combo is.

I think OG has a breakdown of which PW are easier to upgrade to professional hoses, like Greenworks. I just can`t recall which other brands, SunJoe for example needs an adapter which is reason enough to get another brand that already has standard fittings.

Mosmatic has that top O the line swivel, love it !
    MTM`s Easy pull trigger SG 35 snub gun is what I prefer over the SG28 or stainless. Easier to spray for long periods of time.

Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Mosmatic has that top O the line swivel, love it !
    MTM`s Easy pull trigger SG 35 snub gun is what I prefer over the SG28 or stainless. Easier to spray for long periods of time.

Yeah i just ordered an MTM swivel because on sale. Haven’t used and regreat not getting mosmatic swivel Pressure Washer newbie

Likes Mary B liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information