Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic removal?

whats the best way to remove ceramic coating? I think I used the wrong kind of towel to level and finish my ceramic. It was absolutely pristine when I looked at it in the sun, then after I put the ceramic on it, theres holograms EVERYWHERE. Id like to remove it and start over, unless you can polish it out of a ceramic coating

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic removal?

If you catch the high spots early you can use the same product to level out high spots. If not a medium cut polish on a polishing pad will remove it.

If there are too many high spots just polish and start over.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Not really sure if it`s high spots. It`s holograms all over the hood. (Unless that`s what high spots are). Im pretty new to this

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic removal?

I posted this in another section, but aftwr searching the forum some, I think it was the wrong one and I don`t know how to relocate it.

Anyway, whats the best way to remove ceramic coating? I think I used the wrong kind of towel to level and finish my ceramic. The hood was absolutely pristine when I looked at it in the sun before applying Gtechniq light, then after I put the ceramic on it, theres holograms EVERYWHERE. Id like to remove it and start over, unless you can polish it out of a ceramic coating

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnibor View Post
    Not really sure if it`s high spots. It`s holograms all over the hood. (Unless that`s what high spots are). Im pretty new to this
    There are so many variables, it is pretty impossible to answer your question without first asking you questions, ok ?

Holograms are usually caused by improperly using a machine in the correction and or polishing stage.. Did you do this ?

What exactly was your process for applying your Ceramic Coating, and which coating was it ?

Did you apply it in a shop, garage, etc.. ? Did you have good lighting??

Take us through your process please, and we will help you better..
    Thanks,
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    There are so many variables, it is pretty impossible to answer your question without first asking you questions, ok ?

Holograms are usually caused by improperly using a machine in the correction and or polishing stage.. Did you do this ?

What exactly was your process for applying your Ceramic Coating, and which coating was it ?

Thanks,
    Dan F
    My apologies for the vague question. I`m doing this in my garage with plenty of lighting. After the final polish, I pulled it outside to get a better look at it under direct sunlight, and it was near flawless. I applied Gtechniq lighters to the applicator pad, working the hood in 4 different sections. After applying to each section, I used a microfiber to level the ceramic, the used another microfiber towel to polish it out.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Thanks,
    Dan F
    Gtechniq light serum*

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips posted this. Never had a high spot with CSL so I am not sure if it looks like a typical high spot. It should.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

Did you notice these holograms after the paint was polished and inspected? Did you flip your initial wipe of towel to a clean side every few panels? I ask because a side of a towel will eventually load up with coating and eventually just spread it around.

I posted this in another section, but aftwr searching the forum some, I think it was the wrong one and I don`t know how to relocate it.

Anyway, whats the best way to remove ceramic coating? I think I used the wrong kind of towel to level and finish my ceramic. The hood was absolutely pristine when I looked at it in the sun before applying Gtechniq light, then after I put the ceramic on it, theres holograms EVERYWHERE. Id like to remove it and start over, unless you can polish it out of a ceramic coating
    See my previous post.

Gtechniq light serum*
    Don`t hear too many people getting high spots with CSL as it is one of the easiest coatings to work with. Good lighting is key to aid in coating removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the coating, removing it can be pretty difficult. I still haven`t gotten around to removing ISM coat so I can fix it. Initial attempts to remove it with HD Adapt and a microfiber pad were unsuccessful. Even threw my rotary at it, no dice. It was suggested to me by the guy at Esoteric to use Surbuf pads. Got some, but haven`t gotten around to it.

Most coatings aren`t this difficult to remove, though and I don`t expect you`ll have this much issue. Speaking of it, I really need to work up the motivation and find the time to get this done.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for the vague question. I`m doing this in my garage with plenty of lighting. After the final polish, I pulled it outside to get a better look at it under direct sunlight, and it was near flawless. I applied Gtechniq lighters to the applicator pad, working the hood in 4 different sections. After applying to each section, I used a microfiber to level the ceramic, the used another microfiber towel to polish it out.
    Thanks for your reply -

It takes really, really, good lighting from above and on stands, and even a hand held light to apply a coating without mistakes in my experience.. Do you have that ?

I also Never split something as small as the hood into several sections; there is now 4 opportunities to goof up the application - why would that ever be a good thing?

I will apply a coating to the hood in 2 sections, splitting the hood in the middle, a little overlap in the middle from the other side to complete the hood..

The absolute key to all of this is to learn how to apply Thin, Even, Coats, through the entire application..

Thank goodness, I learned this from first Auto Painting, and then several years of applying the 2 - Zaino sealants to vehicles in Thin, Even, Coats..

When you applied the coating, did you see in the lighting that it was going on perfectly smooth, and when wiping it down at the exact time, did it stay that way?
    Dan F
    Likes Nosnibor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a handheld, but I had the hood off the car, on a stand, under one of my overhead LED lights with a dual LED light stand next to it. I was just trying to keep in the 2x2 standard like the correction/polishing step. Maybe the problem is, I was putting it on too thick.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a handheld, but I had the hood off the car, on a stand, under one of my overhead LED lights with a dual LED light stand next to it. I was just trying to keep in the 2x2 standard like the correction/polishing step. Maybe the problem is, I was putting it on too thick.
    Nosnibor --
    Great to hear you had good lighting..

Well, if it went on too thick, that will absolutely make it look "different", like it does in the video Mike linked to above.. Is that how it looks on your hood?

How long ago did you apply it to the hood ? I`m glad it`s off the car; will make it easier to work on and not have to lean over it as far..

This info is from the Gtechniq product Crystal Serum Light, at the Autopia Store - "Crystal Serum Light is the prosumer version of the world famous Gtechniq Accredited Detailer only Crystal Serum - a coating so hard that if applied incorrectly can only be removed by using 1,500 grit sand paper."

"Serum Light offers 80% of Professional Serum’s performance, but if applied incorrectly can be machine polished from your vehicle’s paintwork."

Looks like you will need to machine polish this off, are you good with that ?
    Dan F
    Likes Nosnibor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t look like the video, and I can`t upload a video or picture for some reason

Post Thanks / Like

Just glad it can be machined off and not need wet sanding to remove

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t look like the video, and I can`t upload a video or picture for some reason
    Tapatalk if you want to upload an image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information