Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Paint Between Polish and Wax.

I did try to find the answer to this question but was not able to. So here it is....It is my understanding that polishing in most cases leaves something on the paint even after being wiped off with a towel, maybe oils or actual polish. My question is, would it be wise to use a paint prep without any abrasion material in it to clean the paint from left over oil or polish before using a wax or sealant ? Thank you for any help/comments. And Happy St Patricks Day !!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Paint Between Polish and Wax.

Yes Gyeon Prep is great cleaner.But there is many brand.A lot of people use a mixture of water and alcohol
    Likes Fishing, m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Eraser is another option but as previously stated, there are many choices available.
    Likes Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Fishing, billg71 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mman143,SGM2008,THE GUZ thank you all for the help,,,,now I have choices
    The Guz- WOW a great article,,,,,thnx for posting it

Post Thanks / Like

Duplicolor and Rustoleum both make great body solvents that are locally available and both cost less than $10 for 32oz. They are winners and much better than at least CarPro Eraser. Another good option is Mineral Spirits with 100% Votality, you can pick it up for less than $10 for 32oz at Walmart and if you want it can be split 50/50. Isopropyl Alcohol does work when mixed right, but I suggest searching AutoGeek forum about it and how it makes paint swell.

Body preps are quite the topic, in my testing I have found Mineral Spirits to be the slickest body solvent and helps induce the least amount of towel marks. However, no matter how careful I am and how nice of a towel I am using, I still get some level of towel marring. I have my ways of rectifying the towel marring, but that’s a secret.

I have begun thinking about how I can start emulsifying Mineral Spirits and Optimun Paint Prep as it leaves the least amount of residue, least amount of towel marring, and is literally pretty slick.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m on my phone, hence the double reply.

One thought that I have with Mineral Spirits is its aggressiveness relative to the clear coat. How many times can the clear coat be wiped down with Mineral Spirits before the clear coat becomes compromised? If I were polishing a car that was going to see a Mineral Spirits wipe down once a year, I think that’s fine. With my own personal car that sees a body solvent and non ph neutral wash at least once a month (dirt level and wash cycle dependent), I question weather or not the 17 yr old clear coat can handle it (or any clear coat), that’s why I use one of the Rustoleum or Duplicolor Body Solvents for the monthly maintenance and the Mineral Spirits for the once a year, if that, clay and polish.

Post Thanks / Like

If there`s any concern about the [polishing oils stripping product] doing damage, I`d just use something that`s known to be safe. Not that I`ve found the clearcoat on my older cars especially fragile except where it`s been overly corrected. I wouldn`t hesitate to wipe down even the `93 with any of the solvents I use, but I`d still use my usual (TOL`s PrepWash/AkyraClean/whatever they call it now).

I certainly do get the concern with removing all that oily [stuff], Polishing Oils are a big PIA for me and are among the reasons I despise M205.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I think you and I are the only ones on the forums that use Akyra Klean. It’s going to take quite some time for me to use up my gallon given the small amount of polishing I do these days.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Accumulator, I think you and I are the only ones on the forums that use Akyra Klean. It’s going to take quite some time for me to use up my gallon given the small amount of polishing I do these days.
    Yeah on all counts

It took me forever just to use up the little jug I got back when it was still orange/pink-colored. This gallon of the green version will last longer than I will.

I *do*, however, maintain an open mind regarding some other/newer products being even better, so I sure won`t criticize anybody who goes with something like Eraser. It`s just some of the other approaches that give me pause.

I`d like to hear a, uhm...informed opinion...about how "body sovlents" and Mineral Spirits compare with regard to potential clearcoat damage. I just don`t know enough to venture such an opinion, although I *suspect* that Mineral Spirits are quite safe and also that many seemingly different products are really just a variation on that same theme.

It occurs to me that when it comes to Body Solvents, you and I probably have a lifetime supply of New Car Prep on-hand too Not that I use it for stripping Polishing Oils (but hey..I wonder....).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

I certainly do get the concern with removing all that oily [stuff], Polishing Oils are a big PIA for me and are among the reasons I despise M205.

M205 is just so versatile for me, but I will say that after almost a year of exclusively using Griots Boss products at work, my next polish purchase will be including the full line of Boss polishes for personal use. It is really nice to know that what I am seeing is my final product, not a final product that has the ability to hide some of the fine micro tick marks left by a DA. The Boss polishes are really something else.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My New Car Prep is actually lost in the garage somewhere. Now that I have it in mind, I gotta look for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I keep mine handy Though I do hate the smell of it (mine`s probably an older version than yours, I know it`s not the current one).

Post Thanks / Like

Mines from around 2005 or so IIRC

Post Thanks / Like

When you polishing you have petroleum in some form of distillate and or white mineral oils. Even the water based ones has this hence the distillates. And those gets quite hard worked in the clearcoat. Now I don`t really know what would be a difference between most common solvents and those used in polishes. And most of them evaporate rather quickly to the pure ones at least. The other forms of them can be wet on the paint for a longer time. But I think as long as you don`t have solvents and some alcohols on the paint for a longer time. I think that you are fine.

The horror stories with IPA is often when they have used masking tape. And got the IPA on the edges of the tape and it`s gone under it so it`s not able to be evaporated. On that they often have let the tape sit a while afterwards too. And when takeing it off the clearcoat has desolved or loosened to a state that it`s crawld up or even gone with the adisive under the tape. So many that does these 50/50 picture please do not let the tape on there for a longer time if you wipe down with IPA. Or best is to polish or compound and then remove the tape and then clean the polishing oils off. If compound still take the tape off and apply it again when you start to polish. The time between if you IPA wipe down the compound and you IPA wipe down the polish and then you take off the masking tape you can be in for a surprise that is no fun. It`s enough if it happens one time. And also you have the risk when compounding up to the masking tape and over it to get a sharp line. That line can be difficult to get rid of when you keep doing the panel finished. Sorry for the OT.

On clear plastic though you would be carefull with solvents as they easy fog them. But seems like the protective oem coating is also good at protect the headlights great from solvents but be carefull. And also on some trim it can be harsh on and also with drying out rubber.

As for cleaning the paint from polishing oils between wax or sealant. I think that the cleaner the paint is the better chance is that it bonds harder to the paint. Then mostly you have some kind of solvents or alcohols in the waxes and sealants so it can be desolving the polishing oils off at the same time you LSP it. On the other hand it`s not certain that the time the waxes and sealants is on the paint to bond the polishing oils that desolves goes away with the evaporation. So my approach is better to be safe than sorry. And it`s not so time consuming for a DIYer to be doing a prep panel wipe product wipe down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information