Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Paint Between Polish and Wax.

I don`t really think it`s a big deal with waxes that don`t crosslink. They just sit on the surface and hang out till they evaporate or get rubbed off when washing. Some manufacturers with crosslinking polymers suggest a bare surface for best adhesion. In some products, residual oils could result in the crosslinking being compromised.

Mike Phillips original answer gives a lot of insight as to why Meguiars products look so great until the first wash. The sun beats down and the oils rise to surface and then get washed off.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I`m sure glad I`ve avoided the kind of problems that many seem to have. Not gonna post any "that shouldn`t be a problem.." stuff, but back when combos like M07 + M16 were the norm I sure got greater durability than one might expect despite never stripping the TSO from the M07.

In most cases (exceptions being sealants I expected to be finicky and I never experimented), my issues with Polishing Oils have basically zero to do with LSP durabilty as I`ve had the dissipation of oils cause (appearance) issues while the overlying wax was 100% fine. That told me that, for whatever reason and no matter how unlikely, the wax was *staying on there* even though there were oils, even oils with issues, underneath. No, I can`t explain it, but I did experience it.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Griots Garage this question:
    "After using your Correcting Cream, then Perfecting Cream should a Paint Prep/Cleaner be used before using your Ploy Wax or is it ok to go from polishing to your Poly Wax ? Thank you for your help."
    And I got this answer:
    "You can go straight to the Poly wax after buffing off the Perfecting cream."
    I have had only good experience with Griots Garage. (Disclaimer: I am not a
    professional Detailer,,,only a hobiest,,,,at this point,, )
    Thank you all for your help/advice,,,there is a lot to think about

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read the description of the Griot polishes and compounds, they state that they contain no fillers or oils so they leave a bare surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    If you read the description of the Griot polishes and compounds, they state that they contain no fillers or oils so they leave a bare surface.
    I`m trying to remember whether Mike lambert uses anything in-between Griot`s polishes and his coatings.

EDIT: I`ll admit I`m a bit cynical about makes saying their stuff "contains no.."/etc. IF remotely in doubt I do a wipedown, though I seldom bother since my Penultimate Step Products ("PSP"? doubt that`ll catch on!) usually leave something behind that I do *not* want to strip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information