Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Glass polishing leaving very fine swirl

This is my first attempt at actual glass polishing with a section of window with CarPro ceriglass polish & a CarPro Rayon 5" disc on my D/A.
    The glass window itself was on a typical commuter car but in decent cond with no waterspots or any noticeable film/grime. I made sure the glass was absolutely clean before hand as well my rayon disc.
    I did a firm pass on speed 4 & then wiped off the residue & repeated 3 times. For each pass I used a decent amount of polish & 2 small mists of water from spray bottle.

After clean up in typical outdoor light the glass looked new and more glossy. But under a small LED flashlight I can see very fine swirl like what a D/A produces. So my rayon pad is scratching the glass.
    At first feel the rayon does strike me as quite abrasive being almost like a scotch brite pad.

Should the glass be swirl free under LED light? Or is this to be expected?

Please help, thanks
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass polishing leaving very fine swirl

I think it`s probably the Ceriglass creating the fine marring. Are you using plenty of water? I"m not sure 2 small mists is enough, you really need tons of water for glass polishing, the pro rotary rigs they make actually feed water through the center of the backing plate.

I really want to try the sanding approach some day, 3M makes a series of PSA discs that can be used for glass, I think the place you can find them on line is GT Glass.

PS I have also thought about using some sort of sanding lube for either the Ceriglass or sanding approach, Four Star makes a sanding lube, but it seems quite expensive (not to mention it`s hard to find a place that sells it), so I was considering the CarPro Immolube, which has a dilution for sanding and seems to be reasonably economical that way...although certainly not like water or even water with some car soap or rinseless wash in it.

Post Thanks / Like

This happens often enough to keep me paranoid about polishing glass.

Manix- Whatever you do try, I`d sure do the Test-Spot thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I don`t know about Ceriglass, I still have that old PBMG glass compound (what was that line...Diamondite?), that they only made for a short while. I found the LC pads to be crap, but the CarPro and Griot`s pads seemed a lot better, I was able to get some noticeable improvement on wiper trails on a soft Asian windshield...but it was a lot of work, lot of time and mess. To me the sanding should run cooler, less pressure required (I`d use a DA for that instead of rotary for compound), only sling is glass grit instead of compound...some day...

Post Thanks / Like

I researched glass polishing, and got turned off the Rayon pads.... When I do my glass it`s with polish and a light polishing pad.
    Which I think is just a deep clean. Good enough to coat with Mc37s Glass coating, which has lasted close to 8 months.

Hope this helps ??
    Likes SGM2008, tropicsteve, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mary B- I appreciate the info about your liking the coating.

Setec Astronomy- Heh heh, reading that reinforced my disinclination to do such stuff, doesn`t sound remotely Accumulator-proof. Fortunately I don`t need to work on wiper trails and what I do have to contend with seems to lean more towards "just replace it".

But thanks for the mention of the Griots pads, I do have some of those in case I want to try using, uhm...something...if only to prep for some coating some day.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Heh heh, reading that reinforced my disinclination to do such stuff, doesn`t sound remotely Accumulator-proof. Fortunately I don`t need to work on wiper trails and what I do have to contend with seems to lean more towards "just replace it".

But thanks for the mention of the Griots pads, I do have some of those in case I want to try using, uhm...something...if only to prep for some coating some day.
    Wiper trails...you know how the SO`s can be with the windshield washers on the winter grit...I think I`m still on the factory washer fluid fill in my cars, more than a decade in.

I wouldn`t use those Griot`s or CarPro glass polishing pads for coating prep, just some regular paint compound and a yellow or orange pad, I think. Or maybe there`s a non-cerium oxide glass polish that somebody makes, like the Zaino/DG. I personally wouldn`t select the glass pads unless I was trying to do correction.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post

But under a small LED flashlight I can see very fine swirl like what a D/A produces.
    Get rid of the light.

Seriously - I`ve polished a lot of glass in my life and I have had issues but never with the CarPro system?

One thing I learned the hard way and now teach others the importance of in all my classes is...

Never start or test a glass polishing system that is new to you on the driver`s side of the windshield

Question: What DA are you using?

Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Likes SGM2008, Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Auto glass is different than plate glass.

Windshield: Laminated glass.
    This is two thin pieces of glass with a plastic lamination between then to make "safety glass".
    Although it is two pieces of glass the impact resistance is only that of one single glass sheet.

Side windows and back-glass: Tempered Glass.
    This is glass that is first heated and bent to shape then "tempered" in an oven.
    The impact strength can be up to 6 times that of regular plate glass.
    When Tempered glass breaks it shatters into small (approx 1/4") crystal sections.

Windshield:
    Small (fine) scratches can be removed with CarPro Glass Rayon Polishing Pad and Ceriglass.
    Ceriglass is based on Cerium Oxide which is the polish that is used to finish glass beveling.

Side windows and back-glass:
    Tempered glass reacts different to heat (polishing) and can "explode" when being polished.
    Be very careful when polishing tempered glass. always make sure the glass does not overheat.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes Coleroad, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Merlin- Right, and good on you for pointing that out.

(I learned about autoglass during Security Driver`s Training where we blew out a lot of windows/windshields/backlights.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Get rid of the light.
    Hey, look who`s posting here! Nice to see you, and it amuses me that the above is so similar to how you teased me about my SunGun inspections of the Daily Drivers ("nobody`s following you around with a SunGun to see if they`re perfect.."). That must`ve been, gee...five years or more ago but it still cracks me up

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Wiper trails...you know how the SO`s can be with the windshield washers on the winter grit...
    I gotta remember to commend Accumulatorette for being 100% Autopian about such stuff She`s absolutely as careful about such stuff as I am.

But yeah on the Products. I`m probably just gonna use the Zaino followed by some sealant and/or otherwise just keep replacing windshields when they get too pitted/chipped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Auto glass is different than plate glass.

Windshield: Laminated glass.
    This is two thin pieces of glass with a plastic lamination between then to make "safety glass".
    Although it is two pieces of glass the impact resistance is only that of one single glass sheet.

Side windows and back-glass: Tempered Glass.
    This is glass that is first heated and bent to shape then "tempered" in an oven.
    The impact strength can be up to 6 times that of regular plate glass.
    When Tempered glass breaks it shatters into small (approx 1/4") crystal sections.

Windshield:
    Small (fine) scratches can be removed with CarPro Glass Rayon Polishing Pad and Ceriglass.
    Ceriglass is based on Cerium Oxide which is the polish that is used to finish glass beveling.

Side windows and back-glass:
    Tempered glass reacts different to heat (polishing) and can "explode" when being polished.
    Be very careful when polishing tempered glass. always make sure the glass does not overheat.

Re: Side window glass: Check out FMVSS 26 that requires side glass to be laminated with a phase-in period of 2013-2017,requiring laminated side glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Re: Side window glass: Check out FMVSS 26 that requires side glass to be laminated with a phase-in period of 2013-2017,requiring laminated side glass.
    Wonder how that`s gonna affect First Responders/etc. who need to get the side glass gone ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

I alway read the glass polishing posts hoping someone will say something like “it’s easy”. It’s never going to happen. I’ll just fall into the “replace” category. Anyone need some cerium oxide and rayon pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how that`s gonna affect First Responders/etc. who need to get the side glass gone ASAP.
    You`re going to need the BIG hammer for that. Especially if they`re closed tight in that door frame.

Good luck trying to get out from the inside.

Not easy to shoot through, either. Very unpredictable trajectory when struck. Just like a windshield with the compound curves. Less so, because of the more upright angle of the side windows. But still a concern, especially if you aren`t perpendicular to the window.

More unintended consequences from political flunkies who never did the job and are too egotistical to ask people that have.

That`s enough from me now. There`s alot more I can say about that. No need to rant any further.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    You`re going to need the BIG hammer for that. Especially if they`re closed tight in that door frame...
    Glad that one won`t be my problem; another reminder that I`m never buying vehicles past a certain model year.

Good luck trying to get out from the inside.

Not easy to shoot through, either. Very unpredictable trajectory when struck...
    I`d still expect that to be easier than going through Ballistic/"Bullet Resistant" glass and films. Doable with the right ordnance, but it can take a while and lots of opportunities for collateral damage. The First Responders will probably cut through it with a rechargeable saw, if they have one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information