Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to get that Wet look, Help Please

Hello, New to polishing cars and I have never tried to get that "Wet" ,"Deep Shine" look that some people get. I would like to try my hand at getting that deep wet look but don`t know how to go about it. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations ? I was thinking of trying Griots Liquid Gloss Poly Wax for this. Would this be a good place to start ?
    Thank you for ANY help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to get that Wet look, Help Please

Yeah, I want to know, too!

I think a big part of it has to do with polishing the paint well. Some LSPs can also help. Oh, and the right lighting / shading etc could help!
    Would you consider this wet looking? This Kia was done somewhat recently using Blackfire`s Wet Fire Over Ice kit

Likes Stokdgs, Fishing, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Griots poly wax followed 24 hours later by best of show is exactly what you’re looking for! The 24 hours is to let the polymers cure in the synthetic poly wax.
    Likes Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the gloss is going to come from polishing. A wax, sealant or coating will add a little and is often seen as the icing on the cake.

You may want to check and see if you need to clay prior to applying that protection product as a good start.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Fishing, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys thnx for the help/info and pointing me in a direction. Now I have some decisions to make and things to try

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming the prep is OK, this gets into the minutia of "jetting vs. shine"/"depth vs. reflection"/etc.

The answer used to be "finish it all off with a high-oils/max. carnauba type wax" (e.g., M26 instead of M16, or Souveran vs. P21s, or 915 vs. 845), but now some sealants can fit the bill too. Blackfire comes to mind, it did this exact thing so much that I didn`t like it on silver. FK`s version is FK1000P topped with their Pink Wax.
    Likes Dan, tarm liked this post
    Thanks Caraman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Assuming the prep is OK, this gets into the minutia of "jetting vs. shine"/"depth vs. reflection"/etc.

The answer used to be "finish it all off with a high-oils/max. carnauba type wax" (e.g., M26 instead of M16, or Souveran vs. P21s, or 915 vs. 845), but now some sealants can fit the bill too. Blackfire comes to mind, it did this exact thing so much that I didn`t like it on silver. FK`s version is FK1000P topped with their Pink Wax.
    Would using Pink Wax as a topper compromise FK1000P`s longevity?

Post Thanks / Like

0922181721-00.jpg

Wet enough? Mc Kess 10 min. paint sealant. And Mc Kess rinse free wash & wax used after washes as a drying aid.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought Souveran gave me the best “wet look” where sealants would give more of a “glassy” look, as will some coatings. I think Accumulator is on the right track.
    Likes GearHead_1, BudgetPlan1, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got that wet look on a 09 Ford Sport Track in black . I washed , clay, cleaned the paint with Klasse all in one and followed with Technitions Choice Ceramic . You could almost see the colors of your eyes in the hood. the truck is my sisters , she couldnt be happier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraman View Post
    Would using Pink Wax as a topper compromise FK1000P`s longevity?
    I can approach/overthink that enough to come up with different answers

NO...because it`s adding something to the FK1000P and that something won`t degrade the FK1000P. (Well, at least I have no reason to suspect that it would.)

YES...in the long run...because once you top it you can`t just apply another coat of FK1000P now and then to maintain it in perpetuity.

I have zero doubt that it`d improve the look, on some paints, in the eyes of many people, so I guess it gets down to whether you`re in the Form or Function camp. For me, the idea of going back to (relatively) bare paint after [however long] to start over with FK1000P and then Pink isn`t worth it, even if all you need to do is AIO/etc. the vehicle. I`m kinda OK with reLSPing annually, but even that is more than I like. But that`s just me and I bet most Autopians would have zero problem redoing it all every now and then.
    Thanks Caraman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does this look wet enough?

Looking to get that Wet look, Help Please-pierce1edit.jpg

This is bare paint, FK1000P is to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those things that I can`t evaluate from internet (or other) pics, I`d have to see the vehicle in person under the right conditions to even venture an opinion. It`s *that* subtle (and maybe even that subjective, but I could argue that either way). Anyhow...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    ... FK1000P is to come.
    Interesting...much as I love FK1000P, to my eyes it gives the exact *opposite* if the wet/deep/jetting look. Switching to it from 476S diminished those characteristics dramatically, imparting a whole appearance that some would say was like a completely different paintjob. On a Classic, where IMO the objective should be to maximize the "this is old single stage paint" look, I`d lean towards at least topping it with something like their Pink Wax.

If I ever do get the Jag out of mothballs, I honestly don`t know whether I could stand seeing it with (only) FK1000P on it. And that`s a color that some would describe as "silver".
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Interesting...much as I love FK1000P, to my eyes it gives the exact *opposite* if the wet/deep/jetting look. Switching to it from 476S diminished those characteristics dramatically, imparting a whole appearance that some would say was like a completely different paintjob. On a Classic, where IMO the objective should be to maximize the "this is old single stage paint" look, I`d lean towards at least topping it with something like their Pink Wax.

If I ever do get the Jag out of mothballs, I honestly don`t know whether I could stand seeing it with (only) FK1000P on it. And that`s a color that some would describe as "silver".
    I know how to make FK1000P look wet... This classic was also repainted in the early 90’s or late 80’s with base coat/clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I know how to make FK1000P look wet...
    I have zero doubt Guess my reply was more for anybody looking to this thread for ideas.

I`m curious about what you have planned for it

This classic was also repainted in the early 90’s or late 80’s with base coat/clear coat.
    Ah, yeah...a lot of `em got switched over to b/c, and I figure that`ll continue since there`s so little good ss out there now.

Trying to tone down the "b/c look" on my pal`s Jag took a little doing...and I bet that nobody else even knew what I was talking about!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information