Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to get that Wet look, Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I have zero doubt Guess my reply was more for anybody looking to this thread for ideas.

I`m curious about what you have planned for it

Ah, yeah...a lot of `em got switched over to b/c, and I figure that`ll continue since there`s so little good ss out there now.

Trying to tone down the "b/c look" on my pal`s Jag took a little doing...and I bet that nobody else even knew what I was talking about!

I think PB Blackhole, Ex-P, and Natty`s Black may be your ticket, it will be tough to make that b/c look like ss. I`d personally revel in the fact that it is b/c and make sure that the wheels and tires a period correct, to bring the car back to its original look.

Post Thanks / Like

Somehow this "wet-look" question ALWAYS leads into the mantra, "it`s not the wax, it`s the surface preparation". I still think that is true, to some degree. Wet-sanded, multi-layered custom paint jobs will look (sooooooo much) better due to the lack of now-so-common production paint orange peel.

Yes, certain waxes do lend themselves to that wet-look; Pinnacle Souveran, comes to mind as being the standard for that look.
    That said, when I see pictures in this forum of those vehicles that have been properly prepped (IE; compounded, polished, and jeweled), then coated with some of the best coatings on the market, they rival that "look" of any wax, and, hence, their popularity by detailers and vehicle aficionados today.

I am stilled waiting for a major Concourse D`Elegance event Best of Show Winner to have the distinction of being "Coated with Brand-X" and the accolades that go with it. Maybe it has happened already, though, and I am not aware of it. If it is, I am sure Detail512 and his Polish Angel prowess had something to do with it!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Ah, yeah...I haven`t used those but based on what I read here that oughta work well.

Huh, you *LIKE* b/c? I gotta say that on some cars (including older ones) I absolutely prefer *very high quality* ss. Just love the look...I`ve always said that I`d rather sell my Jag than see it in b/c (and most would call it "silver"). BUT...OK, from a Pro Detailer`s perspective b/c is a lot neater to work on all right!

Hey, good on you for mentioning the wheels/tires. The choice of Tire Slime, uhm..I mean "Tire Dressing"...for instance.

Post Thanks / Like

Try using the PA Contour prep polish and the Carnaubaflocken crème Famous (there`s some color choices that may suit you: PASSION,CENTURION, and SNOWHITE). Great look and great protection. The richness of color it provides may be unsurpassed.
    Likes SWETM, acuRAS82 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

What some people consider wet others might consider plasticy. Waxes generally are generally considered more wet but for ease of use and pretty good looks, I like Z8. Also, I use Duragloss rinseless wash and found that it gives a nice look and that the beading lasts for a couple weeks. Really, you aren`t going to get much more than that out of the majority of waxes with the exception of FK or Collinite.

And the old time trick for single stage paint was to rub it down with kerosene for that wet look. The new trick is to use WD40 but that isn`t going to last more than a day or so and will attract dirt.

As for topping a product, as to whether it will degrade the underlying sealant depends on what solvents are in the topper. P21S is probably OK. Water based sprays would be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Really, you aren`t going to get much more than [a couple weeks] that out of the majority of waxes with the exception of FK or Collinite..
    Maybe JustJesus will post about how long Malm`s lasts. It was better than most IME, but that was decades ago (and thus pre-VOC).

Post Thanks / Like

3m imperial hand glaze and zymol after cleaning the paint gives the dripping wet look every-time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    ...and that the beading lasts for a couple weeks Really, you aren`t going to get much more than that out of the majority of waxes with the exception of FK or Collinite.
    Maybe JustJesus will post about how long Malm`s lasts. It was better than most IME, but that was decades ago (and thus pre-VOC).
    I`m sure my environment plays a big part in how long I`ve had waxes last on my cars.

3D Carnauba lasted about 5 months on a quarter panel of my daily driven Yaris

FK1000p was on the way to 1 year on the wife`s Kia before I decided to redo it with [I forgot].

I currently have Finish Kare`s Pink Paste on my hood. Applied mid-September. If I`m up for it, I`ll go during lunch and see how it does at the local coin-op.

As for Malm`s.... I stopped tracking 5 waxes at the two month mark. Malm`s was doing well, right next to FK1000p. Though, water seemed to come off a bit faster rate on the Malm`s section.

Here`s a pic of the 5 waxes being compared.

And here`s a short video of water on the hood at two months

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttforcefed View Post
    3m imperial hand glaze and zymol after cleaning the paint gives the dripping wet look every-time
    Which Zymol?

Post Thanks / Like

For me ital as i mostly have red Italian cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus, how did Fuzion holdup during that 2 month span? Any sign of being still there at the end?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    JustJesus, how did Fuzion holdup during that 2 month span? Any sign of being still there at the end?
    It was, but nowhere near at the level of Day 1. This is based solely on water behavior.
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    As for Malm`s.... I stopped tracking 5 waxes at the two month mark. Malm`s was doing well, right next to FK1000p. Though, water seemed to come off a bit faster rate on the Malm`s section...
    Malm`s is wonderfully hydrophobic. For "just another liquid wax that nobody`s even heard of" it`s really great stuff...again, assuming that it`s basically the same now as it was 30-some years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttforcefed View Post
    ..[I use primarily] ital as i mostly have red Italian cars
    I always wondered about that "wax for certain paints" that they play up...like, their Glasur is supposed to be "specially formulated for German paints like Glasurit", but Glasurit`s paint is nothing special and the idea of a wax made specifically for it always struck me as silly. No, not saying that about the Ital, but it`s not like all the Italian automakers are using the same paint. Eh, I`m just thinking out loud here..no offense intended.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wondered about that "wax for certain paints" that they play up...like, their Glasur is supposed to be "specially formulated for German paints like Glasurit", but Glasurit`s paint is nothing special and the idea of a wax made specifically for it always struck me as silly. No, not saying that about the Ital, but it`s not like all the Italian automakers are using the same paint. Eh, I`m just thinking out loud here..no offense intended.
    None taken. My diablo is silver so i dont use ital on it. I really like how the zymol smells. P21 or whatever is called is also very good if u dont care about scent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information