Post Thanks / Like

Claying/decontamination question

Sorry for the basic questions...

I just got a new car (2018 Acura MDX) and I want to get it to the stage where I can DIY a ceramic coating.

I purchased Optimum No Rinse and Wax, and Optiseal, and applied those when I first got the car.

Today I made my first attempt at decontaminating it. I used a Mckees clay bar and clay lube, and also a Griot`s Garage fine clay mitt.

I found that I didn`t get much effect with the clay bar. I did notice a difference in feel after the clay mitt. My best technique was to wet down a panel with the ONRWW, then use the clay mitt, then rinse it with a microfiber in the ONRWW, then dry with Optiseal. I practiced first on my SO`s car since it is several years old and never been decontaminated so it has much more contamination so I could get a good feel of how to do it, but I think I maybe still went too light.

Now I have to chemically decontaminate it, but I`m not sure if I should clay it again when I do that step? I still feel like it`s not perfectly smooth when I use a glove. I used a very light touch since I was worried about marring my new car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying/decontamination question

Using clay or synthetic clay to decontaminate is not about using pressure. Only use enough pressure to keep the clay in contact with the paint and from falling out of your hand. You may need to make a few passes to pull everything off the paint.

Clay may/will cause some micro marring, but you should polish the paint before applying the coating.

I don`t feel that ONRwW followed by drying with Optiseal is the best practice if your goal is to apply a coating. You want "naked" paint for your coating to bond well, so you are applying wax and sealant that will need to be removed before a coating can be applied.
    It would be better to use a clay lube, ONR, soapy water(diluted car wash), when claying. Followed with a diluted IPA wipe down.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying/decontamination question

You should have chemically decontaminated prior to claying. Claying will shear off the embedded iron particles leaving the paint smooth but still contaminated. I still like to use a dedicated lube for claying, that’s just me. I want as slick of a lube as I can get to minimize any marring.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Thread Information