Post Thanks / Like

DA/Polisher backing pad & pad recommendations...??

I have a HF DA/polisher with a 5" backing pad. I`m now looking into a 3" backing pad to use with 3 1/2" foam pads. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    I`ll be claying and then want to polish then seal the paint. The paint is in pretty good shape for a DD... Thanks!
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA/Polisher backing pad & pad recommendations...??

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-3-in...ing-plate.html

i Have this one. Works good. Make sure your da has 5/16 threads before ordering

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! The 64k question is......what foam pad would be the best to choose?
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow.....

Post Thanks / Like

A white polishing pad is probably all you need. You will need several. They get dirty quick. As far as what brand I’ve only used the lake country ones so I haven’t had anything else to compare them with. Most of your polishing should be with the bigger 5 1/2 pad it’s nice to have a variety of pads (soft, medium, coarse)

Post Thanks / Like

Crow Horse- Welcome to Autopia!

FWIW, I do almost all of my spot-correction with 3" MF Cutting Disks. I use old Meguiar`s ones, and/but would look into the ones from Griot`s and Buff&Shine if buying today.

Follow up with foam Polishing pads (perhaps from the same two sources).

I`d buy about three times as many as you think you could possibly need. Even cleaning them out after almost every section-pass, I go through a *LOT* of pads; as soon as they get loaded with cut-off clear and dried polish they work much less effectively, and that happens *QUICK* with the little 4" ones (which are the only size that will do efficient correction on that kind of machine...at least for me).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I ordered some Lake Country CCS pads, 5 white and 1 black (curious about the black) 3 1/2" and several more 5.5" to augment what I already had. This will be a slow process for me as I don`t want to bodger the paint up and want to feel comfortable & confident that what I`m using and how I use it is correct....
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that the White Color Lake Country Pad is a Polishing Pad, and will not have a whole heck of a lot Correction ability..
    If it turns out that the White color pad will suffice, that will be great..
    In my experiences, I never use any White color pad for initial paint correction..
    Dan F
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is where my inexperience steps to the plate. Not knowing what the paint`s current condition is and needs (from an experienced perspective), I feel the safe course to chart is to proceed cautiously, assess and then make the necessary adjustments. Maybe I`m being too cautious....??
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Post Thanks / Like

Crow Horse- Caution is good, there`s only so much clear on there and if you take off too much it`ll fail after some UV exposure.

BUT...the vast majority of people find that this Correction stuff is a LOT more challenging, than they ever expected. Seems to take forever.

I`m assuming that you`re aiming for "much better" rather than "Autopian Perfection".

I dunno whether the 5.5" pads will work aggressively enough. I never do significant correction with White LC Polishing Pads as they`re too mild for that. I`ve never found the LC Black Finishing Pads worth using for anything other than LSPs (and I prefer GG Red for that, or maybe the LC Gold which I`ve yet to try).

Eh, proceed cautiously, as it appears you will, and see how a Test Spot turns out. I suspect you`ll be back asking how to make the process 10X more aggressive/faster in no time

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: DA/Polisher backing pad & pad recommendations...??

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Eh, proceed cautiously, as it appears you will, and see how a Test Spot turns out. I suspect you`ll be back asking how to make the process 10X more aggressive/faster in no time
    I believe you are right.....
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Thread Information