Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable 7424xp SUX

Accumulator: Thanks for the advice and I think I am going to take it and leave well enough alone for now. Spent some time with Dr Colorchips on the front of the car today working on rock chips and found even a big rockchip is hard to fill completely. I tried the drop and smear method, need to find something to use as a squeegee tomorrow.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sawyer- Yeah, that "better safe than sorry" is smart IMO.

Just FWIW, on the DrColorChips...I`ve done OK with it, but *only* when I used it like regular touchup paint (gee, *NOW* I tell you ) rather than with their smear/squeegee method. And their process marred the surrounding paint too! Used with tiny artist`s brushes and layered up with multiple applications, it was OK. I did use their solvent to level it a bit, using an old MF (which was promptly ruined). The cloth they send wasn`t paint-safe (horror show under magnification), but I don`t know if they`ve improved it.

Please be really careful so you don`t mar up the paint around the chips and open a new can of worms.

Oh, and even after it dried and cured for a few months, the DrColorChips paint was never all that hard, kinda fragile with regard to polishing, so take it easy around those spots.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on both the smear method and the squeegee method, ended up just using the smallest brush, I found I could put a drop just uphill from the chip and kind of push it into the chip with the brush. Tiny chips, one application seemed to work, small/medium one or 2 layers. The large chips I have three layers into but some still need more. I had to call it quits today and put a coat of wax on and clean up my stuff, back to work tomorrow It will be 2 weekends before I get a chance to do anything else to the car.
    I am happy with my first attempt at paint correction/polishing. From the condition of the paint, I don`t think anyone had attempted it before.

Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sawyer65- Glad you`re getting good results.

FWIW, I always do such stuff under magnification, and I have a scad of small brushes in the 1-000 range (smaller are *too* small IME).

Did you wax over the touchups or leave then bare to cure?

And hey, liked seeing your dog in the one pic!

Post Thanks / Like

My dog is spoiled, hardly ever leaves my side unless someone else has food.
    I did wax the touchups, probably a mistake but I won`t get a chance to work on it again for 2 weeks and wanted some protection on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer65 View Post
    I did wax the touchups, probably a mistake but I won`t get a chance to work on it again for 2 weeks and wanted some protection on the car.
    For future reference, Optimum Car Wax is fresh-paint friendly, tested/approved for it by Ford.

And our dogs are spoiled too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information