Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint correction and protection questions

GearHead1- No Offense Taken. Didn`t mean to come across antagonistically and I`ll give my future posts greater consideration with that in mind.

Why do I carry on with Detailing? Same reason I carry on with all my other chores- they`ve gotta get done and I`m the guy who`s doing them.

My "Autopian Heretic" is meant to be tongue-in-cheek; different things work/don`t for me compared to many others here.

I`m good at this stuff, have a somewhat extensive knowledge base related to the subject along with decent communication skills, and hope to assist others by contributing here...which I`m more likely to accomplish if I don`t come across badly

Post Thanks / Like

Figured I would update this thread. Hurricane Irma hit my area hard and I just got around to ordering the products above and detailing my truck.

So what I ended up doing:
    1. Chemical decontamination using poorboys iron remover.
    2. Wash with CG Citrus wash & gloss (only soap I had on hand, will be switching once I use it all up). Wheels and tires got poorboys wheel cleaner with various brushes.
    3. Brought the truck in the garage and clayed using poorboys clay and clay lube.
    4. Compound using HD Cut with Griots gg6 with 5 inch backing plate and Griots BOSS white pads.
    5. Polish with HD Polish and BOSS yellow pads.
    6. Apply FK1000p using yellow foam applicator. I left it on for a little over an hour and then wiped it off.

Thoughts after the fact:
    -The paint was really dirty given the amount of red after using the iron remover. After the iron remover and wash, surprisingly while claying the clay did not get excessively dirty and was very slick and passed the baggy test.
    -Compounding and polishing with a DA is hard work! My arms and back were hurting big time after doing the frontier. All in all it took me a little over 20 hours to get everything done and completed. In the future I need to do a better job of taping off the trim and plastic as well as clean my pads more often, as I got a lot of dusting due to my pads not being clean onto the trim which was difficult to remove. The HD cut finished out really nice with the white pad. So much so that I did not notice much of a difference after applying the HD polish with a yellow pad.
    -I applied the fk1000 WAY too thick, can not stress that enough. Even though I applied an obscene amount, it still wiped off extremely easy thankfully. The shine is incredible afterwards.

I plan on doing a wash as recommended this weekend and applying a second coat of fk1000p afterwards.

I do still need some help on extra products. I am thinking of applying a coating to my wheels and windows and was thinking of trying the Mckees wheel and window coatings. Thoughts? I also need something for my trim. Any recommendations on trim and plastic cleaner as well as what is a product to protect? And finally, can the knowledgeable people here recommend some form of spray wax or QD to help maintain the fk1000p as well as keep the truck and trim looking clean? I have seen OCW and D156 recommended, should I go that route or maybe poorboys QD?

I really appreciate all the help I received from this thread and through reading all the material on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

PearTree- Hey, I really liked reading your update. Heh heh, nah...not just because you used HD Polish and FK1000P Not just because you taught yourself a lesson regarding thin *thin* *THIN* when applying the latter either! Just read like something by somebody who *THINKS* and does his utmost to do things right.

I find that for the ongoing upkeep of the FK1000P, using Garry Dean`s Infinite Use Detail Juice as a Drying Aid works incredibly well...so much so that I`m basically over using QDs! Sure never thought I`d post that, but !oh man! does that stuff work for me.

I usually only use Spray Wax for out-of-the-way places and for exterior trim, but you might like using it for a Drying Aid if you`re not interested in the IUDJ. I like both Optimum Car Wax and Meguiar`s D156/Ultimate Qwik (or somesuch cutesly spelling) Wax. Both work fine for me on trim whether it`s sealed (I use Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard Plus) or not. Neither has ever caused issues when applied over FK1000P either. But I bet that you already knew that *I* would recommend those, huh?

Hey, there`re upgrades for the IUDJ that supposedly boost its LSP-like qualities. Juice Boost is the name of the "add-to" product and IIRC he now sells some LSP-like version of IUDJ as well. Maybe one of those options would let the IUDJ cover all the bases. Sheesh, I sound like some shill for Garry
    Likes jatleson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll second the Garry Dean stuff.

I got a taste of the `LSP-like` stuff that is coming out in December....it is awesome (hopefully we can talk about stuff not available through Autopia). My new, non Garry Dean, LSP of choice is Jescar Powerlock. Goes on easy, does not stain trim and removal is a piece of cake.

Some samples of the Powerlock --> https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...-shop-fix.html
    Garry Dean product in action --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/DIqKFQUHkMRxF5JC2

Post Thanks / Like

jatleson- Heh heh, I was afraid that your second link would be to one of Garry`s videos!

EDIT: clarification- Love his stuff, genuinely like Garry, but have uhm...limited tolerance...for his, uhm.. online persona.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    PearTree- Hey, I really liked reading your update. Heh heh, nah...not just because you used HD Polish and FK1000P Not just because you taught yourself a lesson regarding thin *thin* *THIN* when applying the latter either! Just read like something by somebody who *THINKS* and does his utmost to do things right.

I find that for the ongoing upkeep of the FK1000P, using Garry Dean`s Infinite Use Detail Juice as a Drying Aid works incredibly well...so much so that I`m basically over using QDs! Sure never thought I`d post that, but !oh man! does that stuff work for me.

I usually only use Spray Wax for out-of-the-way places and for exterior trim, but you might like using it for a Drying Aid if you`re not interested in the IUDJ. I like both Optimum Car Wax and Meguiar`s D156/Ultimate Qwik (or somesuch cutesly spelling) Wax. Both work fine for me on trim whether it`s sealed (I use Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard Plus) or not. Neither has ever caused issues when applied over FK1000P either. But I bet that you already knew that *I* would recommend those, huh?

Hey, there`re upgrades for the IUDJ that supposedly boost its LSP-like qualities. Juice Boost is the name of the "add-to" product and IIRC he now sells some LSP-like version of IUDJ as well. Maybe one of those options would let the IUDJ cover all the bases. Sheesh, I sound like some shill for Garry
    I appreciate the kind words, I figured my post would be too long and detailed for anyone to read. lol. I am thinking about either the OCW or the new Mckees trademark extender wax as it is marketed as an extender for all their coatings, which I plan on using for my wheels and windows as they both have received a lot of good reviews. In reference to the UTTG+, how well does it perform in restoring trim that is already oxidized and faded? Should I look into something like solution finish to restore the trim and then the UTTG+ to protect?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I appreciate the kind words, I figured my post would be too long..
    Heh heh, not so long/detailed compared to a lot of what *I* post

Oh, BTW, while it looked like the Finish Polishing with the HD Polish wasn`t really necessary, I bet that under some conditions the improvement would surprise you Good that you did that extra step IMO. And yeah...IMO you can basically never change/clean pads too often, as evidenced by your dusting experience.

..In reference to the UTTG+, how well does it perform in restoring trim that is already oxidized and faded? Should I look into something like solution finish to restore the trim and then the UTTG+ to protect?
    As you suspected, gotta prep it first. The UTTG+ will add some blackness/darkening, but it`s best to have things pretty good before applying it. Most of the time all it takes is some Griot`s Rubber Prep (yeah, even for plastics/etc., i.e., stuff that`s not actually rubber). In more severe cases I`ll first use Klasse AIO (the minimal LSP-stuff it leaves behind cleans away easily enough with the Rubber Prep). In *really* bad cases I use other stuff (some of mine started out utterly white and chalky), but that`s awfully rare. The Solution Finish might work fine, but I`ve never tried it. If you go that route, I hope you post back about how it works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, not so long/detailed compared to a lot of what *I* post

Oh, BTW, while it looked like the Finish Polishing with the HD Polish wasn`t really necessary, I bet that under some conditions the improvement would surprise you Good that you did that extra step IMO. And yeah...IMO you can basically never change/clean pads too often, as evidenced by your dusting experience.

As you suspected, gotta prep it first. The UTTG+ will add some blackness/darkening, but it`s best to have things pretty good before applying it. Most of the time all it takes is some Griot`s Rubber Prep (yeah, even for plastics/etc., i.e., stuff that`s not actually rubber). In more severe cases I`ll first use Klasse AIO (the minimal LSP-stuff it leaves behind cleans away easily enough with the Rubber Prep). In *really* bad cases I use other stuff (some of mine started out utterly white and chalky), but that`s awfully rare. The Solution Finish might work fine, but I`ve never tried it. If you go that route, I hope you post back about how it works for you.
    I agree with you after putting the paint in the sun it does shine better and have more clarity with the HD polish than just with the HD cut. Given the 20% off sale going on now, I ordered the Mckee`s extender wax and wheel coating for the wheels. I also ordered the solution finish as autopia has a kit with cleaner and applicators, so the plan is to use the cleaner, apply the solution finish, then apply the UTTG+ over top. We shall see how it goes and I will update once I get it all in and have time to apply everything. I still haven`t had time to wash and apply a second coat of fk1000p yet.

I appreciate the help on the subject and the MANY threads here have helped me choose quality products and avoid all of the garbage detailing products that are out there on the market.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, sounds like you got a ton of work done. I’m going the other direction throwing out my junk products and standardizing on McKee’s 360 and FK1000p. My cars are both fairly new, white and garaged a majority of the time. I did get some of the McKee’s wheel coating though, the wife’s Lexus pours out brake dust! Honestly there’s very little bad advice on here. A million products and as many ways to use them. I loved HD Speed, the ease of use and the way it looked and felt was great, longevity not so much. I’m hoping 360 will give better results.

Dont get get wrapped up in buying a ton of products just to have, you may find yourself rarely using most. In fact now that your rig is in good shape you may find an AIO might be all that’s needed followed by some fk1000 every now and then.
    Likes PearTree liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information