Post Thanks / Like

More Newbiw Questions

So I got my car all detailed up but I still have some questions.

It looks like I missed a spot or two with some scratches on it. I already polished, glazed, sealed and waxed the car. Can I just do spot correcting? Like use a waterless wash to clean the area, clay it, then polish the spot and reapply the glaze, sealant and wax to the area?

Are there any particular car wash products that are ideal for maintenance washing? Is it ok to add new wax after a wash? I`d probably only need to wash it once every few weeks. I have a foam cannon and would likely be using that.

Is there a way to get the scratches out of the chrome trim? There are long chrome strips under the doors on my 2015 Hyundai Sonata and they`re pretty scuffed up. I`d like to get them looking nice and smooth if possible.

What towels do you guys recommend? I got some from Chemical Guys and Autopia but they all have a lot of linting. Are any better than others to work on glass? I am OCD when it comes to the cleanest glass possible.

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More Newbiw Questions

Yes you can spot correct.

So many different soaps, largely depends on preference. Hard to go wrong with optimum no rinse for basic washing. Chemical guys makes various soaps, some decent options there, too. Duragloss also makes great soaps.

Yes, you can add wax after every wash. Spray waxes are great for this, in use as a drying aid.

Yes, you can remove scratches from chrome trim. Is it actual metal, or is it chrome look plastic? This will dictate what type of product you use, and method.

Lots of good towels out there. The supreme 530`s are nice. The rag company has a lot of good options. Griots has the PFM drying towels, which are the best drying towel in the business. Expensive but one of my best detailing purchases- wish I`d bought them sooner!
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- I`ve messed up (real) chrome plating by abrading it far more than I`ve ever corrected it One of those YMMV things...I finally decided the process just isn`t Accumulator-proof, which is *NOT* to say that somebody else can`t/shouldn`t do it.

Eh, dunno how Chromium plating can be both so hard and so fragile...it wore off the Jag`s door handles, right down to the underlying metal layers, despite *NEVER* having been aggressively polished!

And IMO nobody should *EVER* try to correct the "chromed plastic" stuff, just seal/coat it and hope it doesn`t get worse.

freakynorm- Don`t take the above the wrong way...jrock645 and I agree/share identical experiences more often than we don`t

Only thing to watch out for with the spot-correction (which is basically all I ever do any more) is that you get the whole LSP blend-in right. Sometimes the abrading messes things up and make it tricky to avoid a "ring" around the area of operation, sorta like removing some stains from fabrics.

For shampoos, I`m all about a mix of Griot`s Car Wash and 3D Pink. LOTS of people really like the Duragloss, also the Optimum (regular shampoo, not talking about their no-rinse). IME using a *VERY* good shampoo helps keep wash-induced marring down, more than I ever expected. Lots of lubricity, encapsulation, and cleaning power that doesn`t compromise the LSP...those add up to money well-spent IMO.

I also really like using Spray Waxes as a Drying Aid, and LOVE the Meguiar`s Ultimate Qwik Wax/D156 on exterior trim.

I share your hatred of MF lint, and IMO you won`t go wrong with those PFMs, though I`ve yet to try one. Their PFM for Glass will probably be my next fave MF for that, but FWIW, I simply *LOVE* Griot`s Polypropylene Window Wipes, they`re my hands-down faves of all time. Oh, and 3D`s 50:1 (that`s the dilution ratio) Glass Cleaner continues to impress me, and I`m a HARD-sale as I`m a real Glass Cleaner/Towel snob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers guys. I ordered some of those 530`s and a large PFM drying towel.

For my glass cleaning I was using Car Pro Fast Glass cloths but they`re not always easy to use on the go as you gotta get them soaked with water to use them. They`re pretty streak free though but the ones I got are starting to give out after 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

FreakyNorm- I bet that the glass would turnout infinitely better with a (really good) Glass Cleaner instead of water. I know that some say you can clean using MFs and only water, but IME that never works very well...on any surface, let alone something like glass. Even most Glass Cleaners are absolute rubbish compared to ones that`re really good.

Post Thanks / Like

You might check out the Fast Glass cleaning cloths by Car Pro. I didn`t think they would live up to their claims of a perfect clean with no streaks but they do. I used it on my large sliding door which is covered in mud, pet hair, drool and debris. It cleans it spotless. Same with the windows on the car. They don`t last forever though and I think the ones I got are giving out.

I love the Poorboy`s World products since they can be used in the sun or shade. Really quite convenient and they work great too.

More Newbiw Questions-touchup.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information