Post Thanks / Like

Question Help with products for a new car and using coin operated wash bays

Hi,

I`ve just gotten a new vehicle and my townhouse have no driveway, it is a shared garage with no wash bay so I`m planning to bring my own buckets / products and use the coin wash for water. I`m looking for some advice on a basic package to keep the interior and exterior of the car cleaned and protected. I`m not interested in having to buy a polisher/buffer device.

The car is a 2014 Porsche Cayman in Racing Yellow, and has a "full" 3M clear bra installed - basically most of the front of the car, mirrors and rear wing. The roof only has a small strip. The car was shipped cross country by rail which took over 7 days so there may be some extra contamination from that. The kit needs to be able to fit inside the frunk/trunk of the car. the front trunk does have a decent amount of space and can probably fit 2 carry on size suitcases, so a few stacked buckets and some other items should be no issue.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    2014 Porsche Cayman S (981) Racing Yellow

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with products for a new car and using coin operated wash bays

Have you checked Autogeek and Autopia?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do a lot of coin op washes. I would recommend 2 buckets with gamma seal lids. Fill the buckets with water, add whatever product you plan on using...either soap or rinseless solution. This way all you need is the sprayer at the wash to agitate. I used to also take 2 gallon jugs filled with water to achieve a final flood rinse. A good durable spray sealant will also serve you well.

Post Thanks / Like

I do just like 06vrss does. A couple of spray sealant`s that work great are GYEON WetCoat - 500 ml or McKee.

It`s so easy I`m doing this to my new vehicle once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

I also used to take a small battery powered leaf blower to get all the "hidden" water. Yeah I got some strange looks from people but hey, my car looked better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    I used to do a lot of coin op washes. I would recommend 2 buckets with gamma seal lids. Fill the buckets with water, add whatever product you plan on using...either soap or rinseless solution. This way all you need is the sprayer at the wash to agitate. I used to also take 2 gallon jugs filled with water to achieve a final flood rinse. A good durable spray sealant will also serve you well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejames View Post
    I do just like 06vrss does. A couple of spray sealant`s that work great are GYEON WetCoat - 500 ml or McKee.

It`s so easy I`m doing this to my new vehicle once a month.
    I was thinking a soap to strip whatever is on there for the first wash, but I`m assuming you use a non-stripping soap after that... any recommendations? Also, if those sealants are spray on and rinse off, do you still use one of the sprays that help with drying after? or just a microfiber towel?

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    I also used to take a small battery powered leaf blower to get all the "hidden" water. Yeah I got some strange looks from people but hey, my car looked better.
    That is a great idea actually, I will take a look for a cheap small one as part of the kit.

If you want to just give a rundown of the products you use that would really help me get started. I`ve been watching the AMMO and Chemical Guys youtube channels a bit but they both just push their own brands.
    2014 Porsche Cayman S (981) Racing Yellow

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure there is such a thing as a stripping soap. There are a few products out there for this exact application (I know chemical guys makes one) but I have seen this topic debated more than once.

As far as specific products go, that is something than could be discussed for ages haha. You will need the basics: wheel/tire cleaner, glass cleaner, assortment of mf towels, tire/trim dressing and applicators, quick detailer spray, something for the interior(I really like mckees fast interior detailer).

Look on the store here and read some reviews. There is often sales and almost anything you buy from acc is top quality stuff. They sell a lot of bundles that include many of the items I mentioned above. Poorboys makes products that are reasonably priced, easy to use, and give outstanding results.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trueimage View Post
    Also, if those sealants are spray on and rinse off, do you still use one of the sprays that help with drying after? or just a microfiber towel?
    You could use just a good quality drying towel but a drying aid would be much better. Drying aid`s help with removing any possible water spots while adding gloss and possibly protecting against some level of marring due to the added slickness. I have never tried Larry`s stuff at AMMO but I`m sure it is good stuff. Chemical Guys I tend to stay away from. They have some good products but a lot of lemons too. I really love Optimum products. For your initial "strip" wash you could use a combination of Optimum car wash (the one with no wax) and Optimum power clean APC. I love using McKee and Optimum Opti-Seal, Paint Protection spray sealant as my drying aid. The gloss is spectacular and durability seems really good so far. You can use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine as a drying aid too. Also since you mentioned not wanting to polish the surface if you do ever end up noticing any defects that you want to hide you can always use a spray wax with carnauba as your drying aid.

Thread Information