Post Thanks / Like

The Sides of an area are always the last to be polished up requiring alot of extra polishing

I have noticed when using M105 & M205 with any foam pads by hand or D/A that what usually happens on a surface is that the middle areas get polished up quickly but the side areas are only half done still showing faint sand marks. For example on a rectangular area with sharp 90degree edges the middle area is almost perfect glossed up after a few hits with M105 on orange pad, yet the sides show left over fine sand marks & are really hard to get out if I hold the pads level. The only way to get these out is to really work the pad by hand hard, but simple holding it perfect level & even pressure the sides are always left in need of more polishing. With the D/A I tend to really hold it on an angle to work it on the sides then a few flat passes over the whole job.

I noticed this on many materials, paint, aluminium etc. cutting out 2000grit sand marks with M105 on lake country yellow pad or any combination of pads & polishes.

Does this sound normal? What can I do better? The foam pads are probably too soft & just deform near the edges.

Please advise on how I can improve as it takes me too long to cut sand marks out on tough finishes with foam.

thanks requiring

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sides of an area are always the last to be polished up requiring alot of extra polishing

I call this edging a panel. This is one of the things that separates a $200 1-step from a $500 1-step (just as an example). Edging panels just takes more time. A lot of guys will use a smaller machine to edge a panel first, then do the entire panel with a normal size machine.

Your initial comment makes me think you are doing a lot of sanding. If that`s the case, is this a fresh paint situation where sanding to an edge is desired? More generally, does your situation dictate that you need to sand right up to the edge?

If you are sanding that much (or dealing with sanding marks that much) it may be beneficial to learn rotary polishing methods to speed your process up.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sides of an area are always the last to be polished up requiring alot of extra polishing

What Adios S6 said. Given basic nature of RO/DA machines (shouldn`t be an issue with rotaries) it`s one of those things where you just have to adjust the approach/technique if/when it matters to you.

Post Thanks / Like

As others already noted, the rotation of the DA on the our edge "offset area" will not be the same as the inner area (I`m sure Kevin Brown has an excellent illustration for this). I`ve always preferred using the rotary polisher for edging because of this.

Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

APC and Sonus Motor Kote PRONTO, Rasky!!

But seriously, can you explain that machine, backing pad size, and pad type? Such a small rotary looks dangerous at least to my hack brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post

But seriously, can you explain that machine, backing pad size, and pad type? Such a small rotary looks dangerous at least to my hack brain.
    Looks like a PE14, a one inch extension, 4" BP, with a 4" Lake Country Hydrotech pad. Just a guess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Looks like a PE14, a one inch extension, 4" BP, with a 4" Lake Country Hydrotech pad. Just a guess
    Spot on!

Post Thanks / Like

Detective JustJesus for the win! haha
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I call this edging a panel. This is one of the things that separates a $200 1-step from a $500 1-step (just as an example). Edging panels just takes more time. A lot of guys will use a smaller machine to edge a panel first, then do the entire panel with a normal size machine.

Your initial comment makes me think you are doing a lot of sanding. If that`s the case, is this a fresh paint situation where sanding to an edge is desired? More generally, does your situation dictate that you need to sand right up to the edge?

If you are sanding that much (or dealing with sanding marks that much) it may be beneficial to learn rotary polishing methods to speed your process up.

Thanks for reply. I`m trying smaller sized pads now for my D/A. 4" instead of 6". I was doing alot of sanding on various surfaces where there was alot of severe swirl, scuff marks & I found it easier to just sand the whole thing evenly with fine paper. It wasn`t a fresh paint job. I do have a rotary machine but it`s gonna take time to learn to control it`s awesome cutting power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post

I was thinking the same thing "Dusty and the Bandit" Bet the customer only wanted paint corrected. that front plastic/fiberglass looks in desperate need of some of Rasky`s TLC.
    Edited: dah, looks sanded, my bad

Thread Information