Post Thanks / Like

Get it right the first time!

I`m about to take delivery of a new Shelby GT350, and I want to start off on the right foot with detailing. There are so many products available and they all seem to have a unique purpose....very confusing. Can anyone help me get started the right way?
    sneakyd1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Get it right the first time!

Depending on what you already have on hand and your experience level, the rabbit hole can go pretty deep.

Main thing to sort out is your wash process, so you don`t instill marring into the paint and keep it looking pristine.

The Autopia store sells a full Poorboys wash kit that provides most of the stuff you need for car washing (just need to get products for the wheels.

Once you see the paint after delivery, you can then assess whether you might need a paint correction or can go just apply your wax, sealant, etc.

Other members can give you pointers on their exact processes once they get a new car, but IMO sorting out the wash process is the most important thing for maintaining that "new car look"

Good luck, and awesome car! Oh yeah, and we need pics
    Likes ShaneB, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to tell the dealer not to touch it!
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Ronkh, nickclark08, KBzPTGT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Make sure to tell the dealer not to touch it!
    lol, yeah, that too.

Post Thanks / Like

sneakyd1- Welcome to Autopia!

Do the initial cleanup yourself and try to *NOT* mar the paint in the process (if that were really *easy* you could let the Dealer do it, so be careful).

It`s a Ford, so I`d decontaminate it with the products that Ford tested/approved/uses, namely the ValuGard "ABC" system.

After the decontamination, *assuming it`s marring-free*, I`d just go over it with an All-In-One product and top that with something durable (I`d probably use FK1000P if only for the durability and protection).

If the paint *does* get marred, you`ll have to decide whether/how to correct it, which is a whole topic in itself.

For that matter, how to avoid marring it when you wash is a whole topic too. If it were easy, we wouldn`t use so much bandwidth discussing Paint Correction
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Depending on where you are and skill level (or desired skill level), finding a reputable detailer who can install a professional coating would be an option.

If YOU want to learn, AF is a great place to learn and it isn`t impossible. Lots of helpful folk here and threads (with videos even).

Not sure I`d want to learn polishing on a brand new Shelby. However, I would strongly encourage learning proper washing/drying techniques (whether traditional, rinseless or waterless). The "right" way is NOT the "normal" way. That will head off much of the marring and "love marks" cars will pick up over time. Pretty much never allow someone else to wash it may be the best advice I can give you.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Welcome!

Depending on where you are and skill level (or desired skill level), finding a reputable detailer who can install a professional coating would be an option.

If YOU want to learn, AF is a great place to learn and it isn`t impossible. Lots of helpful folk here and threads (with videos even).

Not sure I`d want to learn polishing on a brand new Shelby. However, I would strongly encourage learning proper washing/drying techniques (whether traditional, rinseless or waterless). The "right" way is NOT the "normal" way. That will head off much of the marring and "love marks" cars will pick up over time. Pretty much never allow someone else to wash it may be the best advice I can give you.
    ^ That is THE most important thing to understand. Everyone thinks they know how to wash a car, right? The swirls you see in cars come largely from one of two ways, #1- the owner uses a tunnel wash to maintain his finish. #2- the owner thinks that washing a car consists of dish soap, a sponge and a 12/$3 pack of microfibers used to dry the car.

Washing a car is not necessarily difficult but it isn`t intuitive or as easy as one may think. Like anything worth doing, washing a car well does take technique. Washing it the correct way will help to insure that you aren`t spending your time removing paint marring that you installed.

This forum is full of information on the correct way to wash your car and there are a few variations that will deliver impressive results. Most all of the methods that work well, center around a few basics. I`d suggest you read up on The 2 Bucket Wash Method, The Waterless Wash and The Rinseless Wash. Each have their place, make sure you understand the limitations of each and them arm yourself with the appropriate tools to do the job. It doesn`t have to be expensive but you`re not going to get the equipment you need to keep up a fine car for $20. Once you get it cleaned, get some protection on it. You might consider a coating or a sealant. There are many top notch products available. Sealants have become almost stupid easy to apply and will last several times longer than a carnauba wax.

Welcome to the forum.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, mjlinane, KBzPTGT liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information