Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
What happened [when you did damage with the steamer]?
a) It bleached the interior plastic to white, as if I`d "worn through" the pigmented/gray colored layer. I wasn`t being really aggressive, was *less* aggressive than I`d been when I first bought it (the Tahoe, total POS I brought back to pretty-decent). It`s like I`d used up my safety margin during the previous cleanups or something. When I did this to the MPV, it was on the first pass of the first try on that panel and at the lower steam setting (no such problems on the panels I did before that one, even at the higher steam setting), like that one panel was an oddball case.

b) It melted the synthetic carpet in the MPV and the synthetic fabric on one of the Tahoe`s door panels. The MPV was simply my fault- more fragile (I`d say "cheap") carpet than I`d ever steamed before I guess, but the Tahoe still makes me wonder. Once again, I was being far more gentle than I`d been previously, I had really *steamed* that same piece when I first got it with no problems, have zero idea why it suffered damage this last time.

This "worked fine before, but not this time!" sort of permanent damage makes me a little leery, despite having steamed all sorts of stuff quite aggressively since back in the `80s, with zero problems 99.9% of the time. Becomes a Q of "how critical is that risky 0.1%?" Sure wouldn`t want to damage the S8 or the Jag...