Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

I think Im taking too long. How long do you guys take for Wash Vac Shamp Mats? Time Management Help

Hand wash, vacuum, shampoo mats. I thought i would be done in 1 hour.
    I have an SUV and could bang it out in that time, but my car is cleaner than most.

I launched on April 12th, and have done 14 cars.
    I am totally mobile. I worked on a neglected hand me down 97 Accord, Brand new 16 435i conv, 15 Range with white leather trim, the killer was 09 Yukon XL.
    I take from 1 1/2 to 3 hours per vehicle.
    Condition will dictate the level of cleaning, and of course size.

Here are my issues:
    1- People stop to get info, even drive their cars up for inspection, despite me telling them " Ill call set up a time when Ill come by"
    I dont want to be rude, or turn away business... just wondering how to handle this.
    and-
    2- Im my worst enemy: Even on the Accord, Im looking for show quality, theyre happy with clean.
    I notice im looking in every crevice, looking for every crumb, every scuff mark.
    So, for a basic wash and dry, would a once over do?
    i would never think of leaving anything behind, a crumb, sand, even pollen that entered while the door is open.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think Im taking too long. How long do you guys take for Wash Vac Shamp Mats? Time Management Help

Though Im probably the *LAST* Autopian who oughta respond to this....

Things take as long as they take.

1) Id tell the interrupters something along the lines of "I cant stop to talk right now lest I mess up/run out of time/etc." Something they wouldnt want happening if you were doing *their* car. Just be really nice about it (while remaining firm that you cant be interrupted).

2) My goal would be to exceed your customers expectations without doing things they either dont care about or wont notice. Biggie is to be sure you *know* those expectations, and that the customers know what they *oughta* expect for the price/time involved.

Now Ill be interested to hear what the Pros here say!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think Im taking too long. How long do you guys take for Wash Vac Shamp Mats? Time Management Help

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Now Ill be interested to hear what the Pros here say!
    Agreed. I havent done sufficient washes to give adequate input. I think Im also on the slow side of things!

Let me think.... last wash and hand wax with basic vacuum took about 5 hours. Owner was happy. But hes too cheap to do it again!
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just spent 5 hours today on a Yukon Denali XL interior alone, that wasnt exactly in terrible condition either.

You need to figure out what kind of business you want. Do you want to be the best and cater to those you expect or desire your level of detail? Or do you want to try and cater to everyone and sacrifice your quality of work because its enough to make the customer happy? You cant please everyone, and trying to will drive you insane. Ive been over this already in my 2+ years of doing this professionally. Its a tough thing to manage. You really need to think about how you want to handle it and adjust your services accordingly. If you try to capture the whole market from the wash n wax people to the show car people, you are going to be in for a lot of disappointment. My prices turn maybe 1/3 of my phone calls away because "the other shop is cheaper" or "I dont want to pay that much." I dont let it bother me because those arent the customers I want. You can be the cheapest, or you can be the best, you cant be both (and make a decent wage at least).

I agree with Accumulator that you should always try to exceed your customers expectations. This is the number one thing that will get you referrals. I havent been at this very long compared to others here, but I can tell you that each year I get more and more people calling saying things like "you did my friends car and it turned out amazing! I want you to do mine!" This is because im always doing my best, even if that means I spend an extra hour of time on something I know I wont exactly get paid for.

As for how long you take... On a good day I can fully detail a sedans interior in 3 hours. And that would have to be in decent shape to begin with. Outside roughly the same. If youre doing inside and out in 1-3, id say youre breaking records. But the other side of me says that you arent exactly doing "show quality" work either. I typically spend upwards of an hour on wheels and tires alone. So it sounds to me like youre doing more of a wash n wax job than a true "detail." Please dont take that personally, I do not intend to offend. Thats the service you choose to provide and customers want it so more power to you. Considering what you are offering and how long its taking you, id say you are right about on par for how long it can/should take. So dont sweat it too much.

How much work you do should be directly related to what you charge IMO. If you advertise inside and out for $50, and spend 2-3 hours on a car, youre about right. People looking to pay that dont expect miracles, they expect clean, which I believe youre providing. Now the customers I look to attract, for example the Yukon Denali XL I did earlier today, I charged the guy $150 and worked for 5 hours on the interior. These people expect spotless, they expect miracles, and they expect to be blown away with your work. I know I have the highest prices in town, but ill be damned if im not putting out the best level of work as a result.

What are you doing that is attracting so many people to where you are working who keep interrupting you by the way? I am mobile as well and usually get one or no people come up to talk to me. More often than not I am not bothered at all. Maybe you could help me with that lol. I would recommend you do your best to accommodate the drive ups, shoot them an estimate and give them a card. Be polite and just kindly let them know youre busy and would love to talk but simply cant. Ask them if you can take their number down and give them a call when you finish.

Dont get discouraged, keep working and keep learning from each and every experience. You can only read so much, get out there, keep at it and youll figure it out.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to work on optimizing your processes. Personally, an average sized vehicle’s interior shouldn’t take any longer than 2 hours to complete whether it’s trashed or a cream puff. The only variable that could take longer is excessive carpet and/or cloth seat soiling. You need to work in such a way that you aren’t back tracking your steps/processes. You also need mandatory tools/products like a dedicated carpet shampoo and compressed air. This will not only produce top results, but also dramatically speed up the cleaning process.

I’ll elaborate on steps for interior cleaning and typical max time to complete:

*Vacuum loose debris (a thorough vacuuming isn’t needed) – 5 minutes
    *Pre-soak fabric stains with appropriate cleaner – 2 minutes
    *Clean (APC scrub, wipe blow) door panels – 15 minutes
    *Clean center console, center pillar trim & dash (APC scrub, wipe blow) – 10 minutes
    *Clean left front and left rear seats – 5-10 minutes
    *Shampoo left front and left rear carpets & connected trim (vacuum & towel dry ~ extract as needed) – 10 minutes
    *Clean right front and rear seats – 5-10 minutes
    *Shampoo right front and rear carpets (vacuum & towel dry ~ extract as needed) – 10 minutes
    *Blow out complete interior (front to back or back to front) – 10 minutes
    *Final vacuum – 10 minutes
    *Door jambs – 5 minutes
    *Windows – 10 minutes
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Ronkh, ShaneB, Oldfordisbetter, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Sounds like you need to work on optimizing your processes. Personally, an average sized vehicle’s interior shouldn’t take any longer than 2 hours to complete whether it’s trashed or a cream puff. The only variable that could take longer is excessive carpet and/or cloth seat soiling. You need to work in such a way that you aren’t back tracking your steps/processes. You also need mandatory tools/products like a dedicated carpet shampoo and compressed air. This will not only produce top results, but also dramatically speed up the cleaning process.

I’ll elaborate on steps for interior cleaning and typical max time to complete:

*Vacuum loose debris (a thorough vacuuming isn’t needed) – 5 minutes
    *Pre-soak fabric stains with appropriate cleaner – 2 minutes
    *Clean (APC scrub, wipe blow) door panels – 15 minutes
    *Clean center console, center pillar trim & dash (APC scrub, wipe blow) – 10 minutes
    *Clean left front and left rear seats – 5-10 minutes
    *Shampoo left front and left rear carpets & connected trim (vacuum & towel dry) – 10 minutes
    *Clean right front and rear seats – 5-10 minutes
    *Shampoo right front and rear carpets (vacuum & towel dry) – 10 minutes
    *Blow out complete interior (front to back or back to front) – 10 minutes
    *Final vacuum – 10 minutes
    *Door jambs – 5 minutes
    *Windows – 10 minutes

Im old fat and lazy. So I need 3x what you quoted.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B, 4u2nvinmtl, Hoosiers liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I hope youre quicker on Vettes! Those take 1/2 the time! Lol
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hope youre quicker on Vettes! Those take 1/2 the time! Lol
    less seats to clean
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David I need to stop by your shop sometime and watch your guys work. I bet its pretty impressive.

I wish I had all the tools you have at your shop at my disposal. Being able to run all those tools all at once must be nice. Someday I may be able to work that efficiently.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David, you should put some videos together of your guys cleaning interiors. And I remember a article you wrote on prepping cars on the exterior. A video of that would be awesome also. Something about a half hour to wash, clay towel, clean engine and jambs? You know how to get it done!

edit: looks like shane is thinking the same thing
    Likes ShaneB, House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    David I need to stop by your shop sometime and watch your guys work. I bet its pretty impressive.

I wish I had all the tools you have at your shop at my disposal. Being able to run all those tools all at once must be nice. Someday I may be able to work that efficiently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    David, you should put some videos together of your guys cleaning interiors. You know how to get it done!

edit: looks like shane is thinking the same thing
    Shane - I never realized you were so close! You have an open invitation to come by. Heck, Ill put you to work and youll be doing 2 hour interiors in no time!

Id love to put a video camera in front of my prep & good interior guy for you to see how quick and to the point they do their job. When you do the same thing multiple times a day for sometimes decades you learn how to maximize your work time for maximum income potential from both an owner and a worker perspective. Im actually considering doing an open house training in the near future and would soley be focusing on these items.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    And I remember a article you wrote on prepping cars on the exterior. A video of that would be awesome also. Something about a half hour to wash, clay towel, clean engine and jambs?

Funny thing is I was thinking about that thread and just decided to bump it: POLL: How long is your average prep time?

Post Thanks / Like

Shane - I never realized you were so close! You have an open invitation to come by. Heck, Ill put you to work and youll be doing 2 hour interiors in no time!
    Show me how to do it on a single 15A circuit and ill be impressed

Actually looking over your list, I may try that process. I sometimes rely a little too much on my steamer I think. maybe spraying a little apc and using some brushes first, then using the steam to rinse may be a faster option.

Still not sure I can get the average car done in 2 hours though! Who knows though, maybe ill surprise myself! Id love to be able to streamline my process better and save time. Sometimes those interiors that take me 6+ hours can drag on and its hard to maintain focus. Of course the issue is always with the upholstery. Such a pain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    What he said.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to get a larger sample size of your times, so you know how to gauge. Even a quick rinseless, dry, tire dress and QD wipe down takes about 2 hours on my well maintained car. You need to be able to set a realistic expectation for your work.

Post Thanks / Like

I can do my full size truck in an hour and have timed me doing my Aunts Tahoe, wash, wax, and interior in 1:15 minutes. She has 3 granddaughters that she cares for so the inside isnt immaculate by any means. Now granted I spent 8 hours really going over it in detail and polishing it a couple of months ago. Its amazing how much easier it is to clean up a vehicle with a decent coat of FK1000P on clean, polished paint. I also dont have to clean carpets other than a thorough vacuum job and clean the leather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information