Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think Im taking too long. How long do you guys take for Wash Vac Shamp Mats? Time Management Help

Thanks for the tip!
    1- Im going to say some variation of: " owner needs to leave in 1/2 hour, so i really need to be on point, are you local? Ill swing by when im done, give me your # Ill call you when Im on my way, heres my card.....etc.
    2- i always go over with customer and say "this will come out, this may not, 80-90% of this will, are you happy with that?" If theyre finicky, Ill say something like, "getting this out would require some harsh chemicals, and or special machine not included in price" / "sometimes chasing the the stain may damage or compromise the carpet fiber, Do you want me to go that route? How important is it to see that mark/stain removed? "
    That sets the bar on where they want to be......and i always over deliver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think Im taking too long. How long do you guys take for Wash Vac Shamp Mats? Time Management Help

Just starting out, and being my side gig, Ill take ALMOST anything.
    I see from many posts, even outside this one, my prices are set too low. Im looking for $25-30 an hour. I used prices from a local detailer who works out of his garage, and marked accordingly.

As far as drumming us business, i think my timing, and my target community had a lot to do with it.

I targeted a community that had a lot of nice rides in the driveway, Im talking Bentley and SLR. I managed to land the up and coming.
    I come to find that a Passover ritual involves a thorough cleansing, home and car. That community is where the bulk of my customers came from.
    Some really sweet rides. Most cars are new to 3 years old.

Next week i only have 4 cars lined up. I did that in one day last week.
    My goal is to convert some steady premium customers that i visit weekly or bi-weekly for a wash, and one interior a month. Add a trickle of some corrections and other biz i can find.
    I realize just because you hang a shingle, they aint come a knockin
    Thanks again for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Show me how to do it on a single 15A circuit and ill be impressed
    Actually, everything we have (except out compressor) can be run on a 15A circuit. At home I have a 15 gallon Craftsman compressor that will work though. I used to bring it with me on mobile jobs back in the day. Cant do an interior properly without one!

Actually looking over your list, I may try that process. I sometimes rely a little too much on my steamer I think. maybe spraying a little apc and using some brushes first, then using the steam to rinse may be a faster option.
    Ill tell you right now....forget the steam! Leave it for breaking up heavy soiling on carpet and cloth seats and do the rest manually. Steamers are great, but take too much time and shouldnt (IMHO) be used on leather or many trim panels. Theres no substitute for scrubbing. The biggest factor is allowing the cleaner enough dwell time to do its job. Time will allow it to loosen and break down the soiling so a little agitation will make it vanish. Then, give it a wipe and a blow and its done.

Still not sure I can get the average car done in 2 hours though! Who knows though, maybe ill surprise myself! Id love to be able to streamline my process better and save time. Sometimes those interiors that take me 6+ hours can drag on and its hard to maintain focus. Of course the issue is always with the upholstery. Such a pain
    You really should allow me the opportunity to show you our system. The worst interior, even on a full sized SUV should only take 3, maybe 4 hours at the absolute longest. That would mean theres dog hair, trashed carpets and cloth seats.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ill have to find some time to make my way out there some day! I have a hard enough time getting out to wash my car, let alone take off for a few hours lol.

My my steamer is my substitute for an air compressor. I get pressure up to 105psi with it so its how I blow everything out. Ill give the APC dwell a try and see how it goes. I spent way too much money on my steamer to just forget it.

What at kind of extractor are you running that can run on 15A?
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We have a Mytee Lite II. I think it can work on 15A?

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. I love the confidence you have in saying that.

Specs on Mytees website say 19 amps.

let me know if you do end up setting up some kind of training like you had said earlier. Id be interested. Besides that, maybe Ill find some time to head over there and check your place out. Ill tell my wife I have a detail to go do. Same thing right?
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All of our electrical has been updated with the maximum capacity possible so we wouldnt run into issues. I can run an extractor, a vacuum and a buffer all at once on 1 circuit without tripping a breaker. And each bay has 2 separate circuits too. As much as I like our extractors (and theyre small), taking them on the road would be the last thing Id personally consider both back when I did a lot of mobile work and now a days. I see how being limited to 15A in a residential setting would be important for this type of machine though.
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Ill tell you right now....forget the steam! Leave it for breaking up heavy soiling on carpet and cloth seats and do the rest manually. Steamers are great, but take too much time and shouldnt (IMHO) be used on leather or many trim panels...
    Agree completely. Though I do find the steamer to be a quick and effective way to do the contact surfaces of the pedals depending on what they are soiled with (sometimes I scrub with a brush, sometimes I just steam, sometimes I do both).

.. Theres no substitute for scrubbing. The biggest factor is allowing the cleaner enough dwell time to do its job. Time will allow it to loosen and break down the soiling so a little agitation will make it vanish...
    Agree completely with that too, and I find dwell-time to be *so* crucial that when I read the first part of that I thought "actually, theres no subsitute for dwell-time" before I got to the part where you mentioned that! Just gotta be a little careful about whether the chemical might migrate (to someplace you dont want it) during that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. I love the confidence you have in saying that.

Specs on Mytees website say 19 amps.

let me know if you do end up setting up some kind of training like you had said earlier. Id be interested. Besides that, maybe Ill find some time to head over there and check your place out. Ill tell my wife I have a detail to go do. Same thing right?
    I currently run my Mytee Lite II on a 15amp circuit without issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your time frame is fine . If you can find a way to speed things up thats great too.

About people talking to you while your working ,my advice is to welcome it if you want more business. Just have your cards handy to give them.

I know it stops the flow of things and is irritating sometimes but these are potential customers . I almost always stop what I am doing to chat with people who are interesting in my services . Sometimes if I am too busy i grab them a business card real quick and tell them to call me and say something like"I must get back to work so my customer can have their vehicle." They understand.

I have new magnetic cards on my vehicle so many grab them themselves so I dont have to stop working . Thats been working out great.

Many times they are on the run too and dont have time to talk.
    Prayer of St.Francis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ni2...endscreen&NR=1
    Likes Migue, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say... All of you! are AMAZING !!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got a lot of respect and admiration for those of you that detail this professionally. I think the most important thing is that you charge based on the time\engery and the level of attention to detail.

If I were to detail my entire car to my personal level of satisfaction it would take me 30+ hours, at least. Id estimate it takes me roughly five hours each for the following: wheels off, engine bay, undercarriage, interior, exterior, tape + compound, polish + clean paint + LSP (including setup, cleanup, and putting away the tools & products). I also do maintenance while I detail or vice versa.

I dont know how practical this would be but you could offer fluid changes during a detail (most of the time is spent waiting for fluids to drain when you could be detailing). I did my differentials, transfer case, and motor oil & filter during a "wheels off detail" last year in a friends driveway. I bought everything there with me mobile detailer/mechanic style (so it can be done, IMHO). The dealership charges $700 and up for the fluids I changed to be changed (cost me $320 in fluids). Anyways just and idea... If I detailed professionally Id offer high-end clients to have their fluids changed and to be set off for lab analysis (thats what I do as proof and personal reassurance). Blackstone Laboratories is fairly cheap at about $7 per fluid analysis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information