Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

perfectly round spot under clearcoat on brand new BMW 435i Black Sapphire. Help!

I did a clay>polish>sealant>carnuba on a clients 1 week old BMW. From what I know, he did not order any added protection from dealer.

There are two spots on the vehicle that i can not identify.
    They are perfectly round, light gray hazy, and is definitely under the clear coat.

One is positioned close to the roofs rear panel, close to the hinge. We inspected the other side, thinking it had to do with the conv mechanics, to find it wasnt there. The other is a smaller, on the right quarter. Hes bringing back to the dealer next week, as we agreed that if clear coat may be compromised.

Sorry, I could not get a picture due to the lighting conditions.
    I searched forum and net, and could not find similar spot.

He became my client, so i will re-visit in a week or so for a wash, and hopefully get a pic.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? and if so, what can you do to correct it?
    Thanks in advance.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: perfectly round spot under clearcoat on brand new BMW 435i Black Sapphire. Help!

It was about 20 years ago i was working on my wifes bosss new BMW , Black, and I saw a spot on the hood ... it was around noon when i saw it, as it was not there when I started the job in the morning .. when I tried to polish it out, nothing changed .. tried a little sand paper, not a thing changed .. it was getting late so i finished the rest of the car ... I went back to it around 4pm and had a hard time finding it .. conclusion was it was under the clear ...and like you told them to take it back to BMW .. BMW finally confessed that the hood was repainted as it was damaged in transit ...
    no correction was possible other than repaint or replace the car .. wife left job before i found out what the remedy was ...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: perfectly round spot under clearcoat on brand new BMW 435i Black Sapphire. Help!

Probably a problem found on the line, happens all the time. He should return the car to have the problem documented

Post Thanks / Like

A Lemon Law candidate.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Probably a problem found on the line, happens all the time. He should return the car to have the problem documented
    actually more than can be imagined .. on many brands just not usually caught
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

My BMW is BSM & have no such spots...

However, if I were dude - I would get a PTG on it to see if it was repainted.

1. If repainted - make dealer fix it. You can ask them for some perks for "diminished value" - but I know you wont get it.

2. If its a factory defect, dude has to decide if he can live with it. If its barely noticeable - he may just consider living with it and keeping the factory paint.

Again, he could seek "diminished value" from the dealer - but he will likely only get an offer to fix it.

If its barely noticeable and factory paint, "fixing it" may open up a rabbit hole that isnt worth going down.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I can think of that has that kind of look is what was called paint blush in the days of acrylic lacquer and enamel..
    moisture from the air got trapped under the paint and left a lighter color on that place..

If the paint could out gas long enough it usually went away on its own...
    Only happens when painted in humid conditions..

Hard to think that would have happened on the BMW assembly line or any assembly line as robots are painting most everything now anyway..
    Might have happened if the hood indeed was a repaint at the Port of Entry, because of shipping damage...

All Bimmers not built in S/Carolina coming from Munich are via EH Harms vessels and each vehicle is strapped down in the holds so they dont move, but sometimes things happen and they do...

I remember once an entire EH Harms vessel full of Bimmers sank all at once losing hundreds of new cars...
    Good luck with this -
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say without seeing it but Ive had a few new BMWs with factory defects in/under the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Like these marks on a new 7 series

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You would be amazed at what you find, we found fingerprints in the paint on the first shipment of alpha 4cs

Post Thanks / Like

Might it be from the suction cups on the robotic arms used during assembly? Im only saying it might be that because my Tacoma had the same perfect circles but on my windshield. Ive tried to take them off but they wont come off! They are only visible when I wash my truck and dry the windshield. Once dry they are not visible anymore.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Never really thought of that. Makes sense as the spot is perfectly symmetrical. A dot within a dot.

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought was blushing. But i dont think it would be perfectly round.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new Corolla in 2003. It had a thumbprint on the hood under the clear coat. I caught it at delivery and they repainted the hood with no grief or hassle. Also got a loaner car at no charge.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got the plague round spots on my white Toyota van . There are several spots . I dont know what they are and toyota claims they dont know what they are either but did offer a repaint. They said its a problem with Toyota on a small percentage of them .My customer with a white Prius has them too.

I decided to live with the spots because they are barely noticable and only under certain light at a cetain angle and even then i have to really look for them .

I have trained myself to ignore them. Life is not perfect and never will be and sometimes living with imperfections is the wiser decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information