Post Thanks / Like

Restoring polycarbonate windows

This is on a Jeep Wrangler hardtop with three huge polycarbonate panels; two side windows and the liftgate. All are in pretty rough shape after 20 years. As well as oxidation and micro-scratch "fog" on the surfaces, there`s some paint overspray from someone touching up the black fiberglass top with rattle cans. Can I use an aggressive compound with a DA machine and work down to one of the polishes for headlights? Suggestions will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restoring polycarbonate windows

Quote Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
    This is on a Jeep Wrangler hardtop with three huge polycarbonate panels; two side windows and the liftgate. All are in pretty rough shape after 20 years. As well as oxidation and micro-scratch "fog" on the surfaces, there`s some paint overspray from someone touching up the black fiberglass top with rattle cans. Can I use an aggressive compound with a DA machine and work down to one of the polishes for headlights? Suggestions will be appreciated.
    The way I do these is with Poorboys Pro-polish...even products like Novus which is another one I use on plastics are all chemical based polishes that will not scratch the surface...

The process is going to take a helper...have someone cover a large frying pan or smooth board with a towel..have them hold that up to the plastic window, then on the other side you can work that area..this allows you to get pressure on the plastic without running the fear of stretching the plastic out..You could use your DA with a polishing pad with the polish but I would avoid using any polish that has a grit in it...just my experience is all
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restoring polycarbonate windows

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    The way I do these is with Poorboys Pro-polish...even products like Novus which is another one I use on plastics are all chemical based polishes that will not scratch the surface...

The process is going to take a helper...have someone cover a large frying pan or smooth board with a towel..have them hold that up to the plastic window, then on the other side you can work that area..this allows you to get pressure on the plastic without running the fear of stretching the plastic out..You could use your DA with a polishing pad with the polish but I would avoid using any polish that has a grit in it...just my experience is all
    Excellent advice regarding the "back-side pressure".

I have used just about any high-quality polish on a DA and have always great results on clear plastics like poly-carbonate and Lexan. Don`t put too much heat into it (avoid warping) and you should be fine!

Thread Information