Post Thanks / Like

Single Stage vs Modern Paint

Looking for some guidance on SS paint. I am guessing I am going to run into SS paint, and need to know if there needs to be any additional steps/precautions taken? I have polished plenty of cars, but never SS paint.. Still need to get more info from the owner because he is wanting touch up paint as well.

Here is what I am working on this week -- would appreciate some advice! Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single Stage vs Modern Paint

Great looking group of cars there. I love the old classics. The techniques and products to correct single stage paint is pretty much the same as bc/cc.

If you are working with older vehicles that have the original laquer or enamel you will find that they are usually a little softer than the late model urethane single stage paints. I recently did a 62 Impala with a repaint using red acrylic laquer. The paint was soft enough that I was able to do the correction with just some Ultimate Polish on a Tangerine Hydrotech Pad. The paint came out beautiful.

As with any other paint, just start out with the least aggressive combination and work up from there. It is a nice addition if you have a paint guage to determine exactly how much paint you have to work with. The Impala that I did was a repaint and it had some areas that were originally polished very thin. I had to tread lightly in those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    Great looking group of cars there. I love the old classics. The techniques and products to correct single stage paint is pretty much the same as bc/cc.

If you are working with older vehicles that have the original lacquer or enamel you will find that they are usually a little softer than the late model urethane single stage paints. I recently did a 62 Impala with a repaint using red acrylic laquer. The paint was soft enough that I was able to do the correction with just some Ultimate Polish on a Tangerine Hydrotech Pad. The paint came out beautiful.

As with any other paint, just start out with the least aggressive combination and work up from there. It is a nice addition if you have a paint gauge to determine exactly how much paint you have to work with. The Impala that I did was a repaint and it had some areas that were originally polished very thin. I had to tread lightly in those areas.
    Good advice there. The characteristics of old-tech paints that make them more susceptible to damage also makes them easier to repair.
    The pics you show all seem to be of cars with good paint. If you run into a situation where it seems like the permeability of the paint is causing your compounds and polishes to dry up and cake up on the pads, you may want to "condition" the paint prior to any more polishing. Read this article from Mike Phillips if you haven`t yet:The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    Being an older guy myself, I have a lot of friends with older classics. This is the single most valuable piece of information I`ve ever seen for polishing older paints.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have a lot of pads or a really good pad washer. I`m doing an ss right now as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no real difference other than (as mentioned) have plenty of pads on hand and the reward is much more visible.

Post Thanks / Like

The Silver Corvette and the Blue Chevelle pictured are NOT single stage paint. They are metallic colors . If they are NOT clearcoated, you can`t buff them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

They`re are single stage metallics, though they are more commonly used in production such as big rigs etc. polish with an aio, an then check the pad, if there`s color transfer from a quick polish it`s ss.

Thread Information