Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VIDEO: Opti Coat Application

Considering having pro correct and polish for me (as opposed to doing it myself for the first time). His shop is 30 min drive along highway (all city streets).

Would it be okay to have him do the polishing and then drive the car back to my house to apply Opti-Coat 2 in our garage?

Would I need to wash car in addition to IPA wipe down, or will the IPA wipe down be enough if its a dry day?

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Good vid, I put t on a few auto boards...
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Van G View Post
    Considering having pro correct and polish for me (as opposed to doing it myself for the first time). His shop is 30 min drive along highway (all city streets).

Would it be okay to have him do the polishing and then drive the car back to my house to apply Opti-Coat 2 in our garage?

Would I need to wash car in addition to IPA wipe down, or will the IPA wipe down be enough if its a dry day?
    I would try to avoid a pollen falling, raining, etc., day as much as possible, and get it inside, wipe it down 1 last time, looking it over for anything that you dont want to leave under the coating, close the door if possible to eliminate any flying things, and go for it...
    Good lighting, looking at it closely - every square inch, and doing what is appropriate to have a nice level coating..

Going on 3 years with my Black Grand Cherokee and it is still stunning, clear, glossy, and I have never done anything but wash and dry it... Oh and drive it 7000 miles through all kinds of weather..
    Its still going strong and I so love not having to do anything to this paint unless I really want to waste product on top of it...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Van G View Post

I`d wash and IPA wipedown...

Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference between the various opti-coat products? Opti-coat pro, opti-coat 2.0, gloss coat, opti guard, ect? I see differences in price but nothing much more really about what differentiates the products from one another, other than that gloss coat is supposed to be glossier. Do they all have the same application process? Do they all have the same durability? Of all the products is there one you guys would choose or recommend over the rest?

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Coating was the original product available only to pros who signed a waiver. It`s is now known as Opti-Coat Pro.

Opti-Coat 2.0 was a diluted version of Opti-Coat Pro, tweaked to be easier to use and easier to correct if errors were made. It was based on the original formulation and didn`t receive updates as Opti-Coat Pro did. It has been discontinued because of public confusion between the consumer and pro versions.

Gloss Coat is the new hybrid consumer coating. It has very high gloss, easy to apply, and two year durability. It is not the same product as Opti-Coat 2.0. It can also be used to top Opti-Coat Pro for that slick "just waxed` feel.

Opti Guard was originally what we were going to call the interior and exterior coatings collectively. Because the interior coating took longer to develop, some started calling Opti Coat as Opti Guard. We have since dedicated that name only for the interior coatings available to pro only installers ie Opti-Guard Leather/Vinyl and Opti Guard Fabric.
    Likes RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,

Good to see you posting. Any chance you can tell me if the GLoss Coat application differes in anyway form the OC 2.0 application.

I have 2 tubes of GC on the way to me. Thanks,

Lastly,

Its cold and anything here, is there any issue with freeze in transit damage?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Optimum Coating was the original product available only to pros who signed a waiver. It`s is now known as Opti-Coat Pro.

Opti-Coat 2.0 was a diluted version of Opti-Coat Pro, tweaked to be easier to use and easier to correct if errors were made. It was based on the original formulation and didn`t receive updates as Opti-Coat Pro did. It has been discontinued because of public confusion between the consumer and pro versions.

Gloss Coat is the new hybrid consumer coating. It has very high gloss, easy to apply, and two year durability. It is not the same product as Opti-Coat 2.0. It can also be used to top Opti-Coat Pro for that slick "just waxed` feel.

Opti Guard was originally what we were going to call the interior and exterior coatings collectively. Because the interior coating took longer to develop, some started calling Opti Coat as Opti Guard. We have since dedicated that name only for the interior coatings available to pro only installers ie Opti-Guard Leather/Vinyl and Opti Guard Fabric.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s the easiest coating to apply we have ever made. Actually, it`s easier that Opti Seal even. No worry for it to freeze.
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s the easiest coating to apply we have ever made. Actually, it`s easier that Opti Seal even.
    That`s hard to believe (not that I don`t believe you).

Post Thanks / Like

It`s the easiest coating to apply we have ever made. Actually, it`s easier that Opti Seal even. No worry for it to freeze.
    Yep. Gloss-Gloss is fool proof. Love the stuff!
    Mike Shumaker | Driven Auto Detail
    Authorized Opti-Coat Pro Installer

Serving Central Indiana & Beyond!

Post Thanks / Like

Does it hold up to winters well (lower & rocker panels)? I get 5 months of relentless salt/ice winters in Montreal.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a 2-year coating. I don`t see why it couldn`t handle that.
    Mike Shumaker | Driven Auto Detail
    Authorized Opti-Coat Pro Installer

Serving Central Indiana & Beyond!
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does gloss-coat have any hydrophobic effect? I live in south Florida and rain/water spots are the biggest challenge to keeping a daily driven car clean so I`m looking for a coating that can shed water well in addition to all the other things I know coatings protect from.

Post Thanks / Like

Very hydrophobic yes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SOMJoseph View Post
    Does gloss-coat have any hydrophobic effect? I live in south Florida and rain/water spots are the biggest challenge to keeping a daily driven car clean so I`m looking for a coating that can shed water well in addition to all the other things I know coatings protect from.
    Where in SFL ?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information