Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning and coating tires (Tac System tire coat)

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Yeah happy so far. Reading most top off every 2 months. Will be happy if I get to 2. Do you use a coating and if so what type and how often do you re apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve used both Tuf Shine, the original Detailers Pro before it migrated into Mckee’s and Mckee’s new formula.

Here’s my assessment of these three.

Tuf Shine is good. It looks good in that it looks similar to what tac looks like in your tire. The downside for me is that it loses its look fairly quickly and it’s durability is ok for a coating. It needs frequent top off for it to look good. Like every 2-3 months.

Detailers Pro (original Mckee’s formula) is very similar to Tuf Shine. Similar overall look and performance.

Mckee’s new formula. This is by far my favorite one of these three. Has slightly better gloss than the previous version and longer durability. On my daily driver I was able to get 11 months out of it before I decided to reapply it. It was still visible on the tire but had a matte finish. I reach for this one first over the other two I have.

I have also tried the turtle wax Endura Shine and it seems to lose its performance at 3 months. I don’t use it anymore as it also tended to leave a purple hue on some tires.

I have Gyeon Q2 tire but it’s not much of a coating. It will last a little lounger than a typical water based tire dressing. Same goes for Perl.

I just ordered this tac tire coat last night to give it a try.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Coatings=crack, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I’ve used both Tuf Shine, the original Detailers Pro before it migrated into Mckee’s and Mckee’s new formula.

Tuf Shine is good. It looks good in that it looks similar to what tac looks like in your tire. The downside for me is that it loses its look fairly quickly and it’s durability is ok for a coating. It needs frequent top off for it to look good. Like every 2-3 months.

Detailers Pro (original Mckee’s formula) is very similar to Tuf Shine. Similar overall look and performance.

Mckee’s new formula. This is by far my favorite one of these three. Has slightly better gloss than the previous version and longer durability. On my daily driver I was able to get 11 months out of it before I decided to reapply it. It was still visible on the tire but had a matte finish. I reach for this one first over the other two I have.

I have also tried the turtle wax Endura Shine and it seems to lose its performance at 3 months. I don’t use it anymore as it also tended to leave a purple hue on some tires.

I have Gyeon Q2 tire but it’s not much of a coating. It will last a little lounger than a typical water based tire dressing. Same goes for Perl.

Yeah I like the price. Hoping durability is a good while. I actually enjoy cleaning rims (since I speed master creeper) more than cleaning the paint. Just like coatings for ease as if I wanna skip I can wipe down anywhere. Might order some McKee’s to try. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

11 months? That`s incredible. I used Tuf Shine (2 coats) - with all the proper prep work and IIRC, I may have gotten a couple of months before all shine/protection was gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Will revive this thread a bit with the focus on Tac tire coat. Right off the bat it has a pretty strong scent. Nothing bad but more like a grape or so jolly rancher. If you want your tires to smell nice this product will do that lol.

It is a very thin liquid similar to Tuf Shine and McKee`s. It came with a sprayer but I switched out the top to push top saved from the Jay Leno Car Shampoo to disperse product into a flex foam tire applicator. As I mentioned the product is thin so it will drip out of the applicator. Would recommend starting from the bottom up. It spreads well onto the tire. I could not figure out if this is self leveling or not so I ended up just wiping off any excess product after letting it dry on the tire for a couple mins. I don`t have any photos but it leaves the tires with a matte finish just like the photos on the first page. Will see how durability is.

The next time I use it I will be trying it out with the Tuf Shine Tire Applicators which are great with tire coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    11 months? That`s incredible. I used Tuf Shine (2 coats) - with all the proper prep work and IIRC, I may have gotten a couple of months before all shine/protection was gone.
    Yup 11 months with the McKee`s tire coating. I was not expecting it to last that long. Two coats with this newest version of McKee`s looks so much better than Tuf Shine. Tuf Shine is nice but it is a bit underwhelming for me as well not just in terms of looks but overall longevity. Even the previous McKee`s tire coating last longer and looked better. The tire compound also plays a factor in longevity.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Could you please (try to) explain just how the Tac and McKees look to you? I`m all about the matte look and/but find your comparing those two with TuffShine intriguing. And that longevity sounds great.

From Coatings=crack`s initial post on this thread I`d thought the Tac would be *WAY* too shiny for me, but I want to keep an open mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Guz- Could you please (try to) explain just how the Tac and McKees look to you? I`m all about the matte look and/but find your comparing those two with TuffShine intriguing. And that longevity sounds great.

From Coatings=crack`s initial post on this thread I`d thought the Tac would be *WAY* too shiny for me, but I want to keep an open mind.
    I will let you know as it was a bit overcast when I applied it to the tires of the car that will test it out. I need better lighting to evaluate its overall look in the bright sun.

On the overcast day it looked like a black tire.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where I buy the Tire Coat it`s a recommended dwell time of 10-15 minutes before wipe off any residue. This is something Tac System can be much better at the description of the use of the products and also translation is a little strange sometimes.

I think that the description of no oily look from it is good. I have not used so many tire dressings or tire coatings. But those I have seen and used this is the one that looks like a new tire after application and it has dried. I don`t like tires that has shine on them. This week it`s time to get the summer wheels ready to switch to. So this time I will apply the Tire Coat first when it`s time for protect them and then the protection for the rims. Did that misstake when I first applyied Sonax Spray and Seal on the winter wheels and then the Tire Coat. Had great performance last summer with this Tire Coat. But it was a dry summer.

Post Thanks / Like

It has a nice sheen but not shiny in any way. Doesn’t have that “gel” look. If you’ve used Perl looks similar to a single application. At least on my tires

Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Where I buy the Tire Coat it`s a recommended dwell time of 10-15 minutes before wipe off any residue. This is something Tac System can be much better at the description of the use of the products and also translation is a little strange sometimes.

I think that the description of no oily look from it is good. I have not used so many tire dressings or tire coatings. But those I have seen and used this is the one that looks like a new tire after application and it has dried. I don`t like tires that has shine on them. This week it`s time to get the summer wheels ready to switch to. So this time I will apply the Tire Coat first when it`s time for protect them and then the protection for the rims. Did that misstake when I first applyied Sonax Spray and Seal on the winter wheels and then the Tire Coat. Had great performance last summer with this Tire Coat. But it was a dry summer.
    They need a better label to include the directions. Maybe a couple mins was a rough estimate on my part for application.

Essentially applied to one tire and worked it in a bit, nothing outrageous. Basically split the tire in half. Let the product soak and dry while I went to another tire. It was rather warm outside yesterday so not to worried about the amount of dry time.

The next time I apply it I’m going to use the Mike Phillips method of using the sidekick when applying a tire coating to accelerate the cure time.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    It has a nice sheen but not shiny in any way. Doesn’t have that “gel” look. If you’ve used Perl looks similar to a single application. At least on my tires

That’s a good way to put it. I totally agree with this.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Little over 3 weeks.

Likes SWETM, The Guz, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to thank everybody who`s tried to explain just how it looks IRL...I understand that it isn`t easy.

Eh, I really might not ever need more Tire Stuff anyhow, sure taking me forever to use it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, do you use your tire stuff on wheel wells? Gotta re dress whenever exposed to wet conditions so might speed up your use them some
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Accumulator, do you use your tire stuff on wheel wells?
    No. The plastics get either SprayWax or IUDJ. I only use Tire Slime on tires.

Post Thanks / Like

I oughta try spray wax on the wells
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

It works best on ones that aren`t too abraded, but I use it on the A8`s anyhow. I`m in there doing the painted surfaces with such products anyhow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information